Mr.Beer Community
MiniYoda

Revenge on Montezoma

So, I have four cans of Aztec that I got on Ebay, and have ordered four fresh packs of yeast from Mr. B.  I *could* just brew them straight, but am wanting to experiment. I'm open to suggestions on what I could do with them.  I'm not a hot pepper type of person, but I do have a friend who grows his own jalapeños and habaneros.  I could add some lime to one.  Perhaps some fruit to one.  Just thinking and wondering

What do you folks think?  I'm willing to buy some LMEs or DMEs, or even experiment with additional grains/hops, which I haven't done.  What would you do if you had a can of Aztec?

MiniYoda....mad scientist in the making

i brewed an Aztec as a lager using lager yeast trying to close duplicate a dos equis, it came out quite nice, I can barely handle spicy food, so I can't help you on the pepper additive, but I've read on here that sum brewers used salsa in the fermenters

and I've been into the cerveza thing myself after brewing a honey ceveza last year that I gave to Hispanic co-workers who said it was really good!

The Fresco Chile Lime recipe has been one of my favorites:

http://www.mrbeer.com/refills/recipes/fresco-chile-lime-beer-recipe

I have a new batch of it conditioning right now.   It uses 1 can Aztec and 1 pouch booster, and the instructions call for 5-6 jalapenos and the zest of 1 small lime.  Reading the reviews about 5-6 peppers making it too spicy for some people, I revised it to 4 peppers and used zest from two limes, and I was very happy with the results.  If you're "not a hot pepper type of person", you could cut it down to 1-2, and I think you'll still get a nice flavor.  

I also made the Noche de Luna recipe (different hops than in "Noche del Lobo", instructions found in the Mr. Beer archives here:

https://mrbeer.freshdesk.com/support/solutions/articles/5000523104-noche-de-luna-recipe-instructions)

early in my brewing adventure and it was just okay.