Mr.Beer Community
GBbrewer

Fall Temps Perfect for Brewing

Finally the hot, muggy summer is over in Green Bay. I have broke out the old faithful LBK and have brewed up a batch of my favorite! Briess CBW Munich with HopNation Cascade Hops and Muntons Brewers Gold yeast most happily doing their thing at a perfect 68 degrees. The smell after 3 days emminating from the LBK vent is to die for! Citrusy and rich from the wort making the whole kitchen smell wonderful. Great to be back on the forum and still see all the good folks and many new ones! Happy Brewing from Green Bay! I will bottle this all in glass this time as the last glass run i posted turned out awesome! I can't wait to bottle this stuff!!! I will get some pics up as we go! Good times my fellow brewers.....good times!

• Like 5

Good stuff!  We had a mini-heat wave in the northeast, but it seems to have passed.  My brewing senses are tingling now!! ;)

• Like 2

1 minute ago, GBbrewer said:

my temps are PERFECT now!!!! this batch is gonna be really good!!! I can't wait!!!

Good luck to ya! :)  **Remember, and this may sound crazy, don't be afraid to start brewing for spring brews NOW!  

• Like 1

I think the luck and skill i have learned on this forum are in my favor! thanks for all your good advice...this batch is gonna be the best ever I can already tell just by the smell coming out of the vent. Many more good batches to come!!!

I have a saison ill be leaving in the basement to ferment. This is the first time since my early days not using a temp controller. 

However my winter ale will be temp controlled. Also being in GB i feel like its a great time to start back up

• Like 3

Yep, I finally pulled my fermenters out of the coolers. Well, except for the 5G bucket, I just left it in there and opened the top of the cooler. It's nice to be to ferment beer without having to worry about changing out ice bottles in a cooler every morning.

• Like 4

34 minutes ago, TonyKZ1 said:

Yep, I finally pulled my fermenters out of the coolers. Well, except for the 5G bucket, I just left it in there and opened the top of the cooler. It's nice to be to ferment beer without having to worry about changing out ice bottles in a cooler every morning.

Man, you ain't kiddin', Tony!  Happy Brewing Season!!

• Like 2

as I posted earlier, i'm brewing a 5 gallon Baltic porter in a carboy that I got to fit into a 10 gallon igloo cooler, and it'll be the first time i'll be able to outside ferment. since the weather is finally turning.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, HoppySmile! said:

as I posted earlier, i'm brewing a 5 gallon Baltic porter in a carboy that I got to fit into a 10 gallon igloo cooler, and it'll be the first time i'll be able to outside ferment. since the weather is finally turning.

Sounds good, Hoppy.  I wanted to do that one, but ended up ordering the NB Holiday Ale.

1 hour ago, AnthonyC said:

Sounds good, Hoppy.  I wanted to do that one, but ended up ordering the NB Holiday Ale.

Did you get a winter one for free????

IMG_1187.JPG

man i went to the beerfest over by Lambeau a few weeks ago. Unlimited sampling......I was like.....man the beer i brew in my LBK is better than all of these!!!!

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Creeps McLane said:

Did you get a winter one for free????

IMG_1187.JPG

I got a different one b/c the turn around time on one of those would've brought me almost to Valentines Day!  

• Like 2

14 hours ago, AnthonyC said:

got a different one b/c the turn around time on one of those would've brought me almost to Valentines Day

well just add sum pink food coloring and it'll be fine!!!

• Like 1

well so much for the stupid colder fall weather settle few days  in, it's back up to mid 80's in the daytime, so after one day/night attempt with the Baltic Porter cold fermentation I had to get out the cool zone jacket with a thermowell and cool that sucker down b4 it's too late. just thot I would be done with the ice bottles. no big deal

• Like 1

2 hours ago, HoppySmile! said:

well so much for the stupid colder fall weather settle few days  in, it's back up to mid 80's in the daytime, so after one day/night attempt with the Baltic Porter cold fermentation I had to get out the cool zone jacket with a thermowell and cool that sucker down b4 it's too late. just thot I would be done with the ice bottles. no big deal

High of 57 here in mid-NY.  So far, so good!

i thot this year we would have a good freeze? I've lived in this house for 9 years so far, up til 2 years ago I didn't have all walks of spider life activity, but seems everywhere I look now are those creepy eight legged crawlers. helped I hired a nude maid to scare em all off!!! she even scared me off while she cleaned

• Like 1

the LBK does it again!!!!!!!! this is the Munich flat beer just tapped...gonna cold crash for 3 days bottle and cap. look at the color!!!! the smell and flavor are to die for!!!!!!

DSCN8764.JPG

• Like 4

26 minutes ago, Ron Howard Dawson said:

Creeps, you still pitch at 64 and ferment at 64? 

For safale us-05 and 04 thats about what i do. Ill pitch anywhere below 68 and i usually ferment at 63 cuz im a worry wort. Same should work great for MRB yeast under the lid

• Like 3

Fall temps perfect for.... SHOVELING?!?!  We may get 2-4" of snow tonight!!!  ❄️?❄️?

• Like 2

On 10/26/2016 at 8:25 PM, AnthonyC said:

Fall temps perfect for.... SHOVELING?!?!  We may get 2-4" of snow tonight!!!  ❄️?❄️?

oh noooooo!!!! lol! won't be long and it will be flying here too

And here I am in almost 100 F weather in AZ wondering if we will even see a winter this year...:wacko:

• Like 1

On 10/26/2016 at 8:25 PM, AnthonyC said:

What is this "snow" you speak of? :)

Ended up getting just a dusting but it is just a preview of what the Snow-Miser has in store.  

tumblr_mfihigpk1w1rtvheio1_250.gif

9 hours ago, AnthonyC said:

Ended up getting just a dusting but it is just a preview of what the Snow-Miser has in store.  

tumblr_mfihigpk1w1rtvheio1_250.gif

Lucky you.  I like cooler temps, but here in Louisville we are expecting mid 80's for Halloween

Since I brew in the basement, it follows the AC/Heating so I brew lagers in the summer and warmer ferment beers (e.g. Ales, Belgians and Saisons) in the winter.

• Like 1

all bottled up! i cold crashed for 3 days. absolutely perfect! came out super clean! and th LBK has another batch in it as of 10 minutes ago. giving her a workout hahahahaa! lots of Holiday beer this year whooooo hoooooo!

1102161719-00.jpg

• Like 2

1 hour ago, GBbrewer said:

all bottled up! i cold crashed for 3 days. absolutely perfect! came out super clean! and th LBK has another batch in it as of 10 minutes ago. giving her a workout hahahahaa! lots of Holiday beer this year whooooo hoooooo!

1102161719-00.jpg

This good ole white LBK.  Good times..... good times!

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, AnthonyC said:

This good ole white LBK.  Good times..... good times!

yup!!!!!! it is a keeper!!!! made me a ton of great beer!

• Like 1

two more weeks with the Baltic porter in cold fermentation, then off to the barrel it goes... my AIH 5 gal. Scottish ale is close to racking out to the bottling bucket, that sucker blew the airlock clean off, I had to put in a stopper and hose to a jar so it could vent easier

• Like 2

the saison is at week one, I opened the top to get an aroma whif, and you can smell the typical saison aroma, I smell my beers b4 I drink them, so I guess I can compare to my homebrew???

• Like 1

just like ginger is eaten during sushi, so you clear your palate before trying another raw selection of nastiness, ( my opinion only). I smell my undeoderized armpit before I smell the aroma of a newly opened beer, it clears the nostrils of previous beer aromas, therefore, clearing my palate before trying another beautiful smell of home brewed beer!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, HoppySmile! said:

the saison is at week one, I opened the top to get an aroma whif, and you can smell the typical saison aroma, I smell my beers b4 I drink them, so I guess I can compare to my homebrew???

You better pray that Rick doesn't read this!

• Like 2

On ‎11‎/‎3‎/‎2016 at 1:32 AM, HoppySmile! said:

my AIH 5 gal. Scottish ale is close to racking out to the bottling bucket, that sucker blew the airlock clean off, I had to put in a stopper and hose to a jar so it could vent easier

Correction, this needs to be transferred to a secondary fermenter for another 3 to 4 weeks before bottling. will be taking an F.G. reading todays to see if it's ready for transfer

On ‎10‎/‎28‎/‎2016 at 5:28 PM, MRB Josh R said:

And here I am in almost 100 F weather in AZ wondering if we will even see a winter this year...:wacko:

Yea but for you, winter is 85 F