Mr.Beer Community
Kevin Caffrey

Coffee at Bottling Question

I'm bottling tonight a stout where I wanted to experiment with adding 1 oz of coffee to each 1/2 liter bottle.  I was just planning on brewing a k cup with my Keurig, letting it cool, and then using a sanitized shot glass to pour in an ounce to each bottle.  Does this sound right?  Any other recommendations to perhaps avoid a possible infection?  I clean my Keurig on a regular basis, but wondering if it's possible of an infection by using this type of brewed coffee at bottling.

Thanks in advance,

Kevin 

1 hour ago, Kevin Caffrey said:

I'm bottling tonight a stout where I wanted to experiment with adding 1 oz of coffee to each 1/2 liter bottle.  I was just planning on brewing a k cup with my Keurig, letting it cool, and then using a sanitized shot glass to pour in an ounce to each bottle.  Does this sound right?  Any other recommendations to perhaps avoid a possible infection?  I clean my Keurig on a regular basis, but wondering if it's possible of an infection by using this type of brewed coffee at bottling.

Thanks in advance,

Kevin 

I went to my local coffee shop and got 16 oz of cold pressed coffee no ice.  I bottle in 12 oz bottles and added 1 tablespoon per bottle and it had a great coffee taste, wasn't overpowering, but thought it was just right.  I've heard that if you brew coffee, then chill it, that could lead to some bitterness?  I just like the cold press idea since it's brewed cold, can be stronger IMO, and you don't have to chill it. 

• Like 2

Made a few coffe stouts.  I've never used the Kuerig coffee.  I brewed a very strong pot of coffee, cooled in the fridge, then added 2oz per PET bottle.  I never had issues with infection.  I think what you're doing will be fine, Kev.  Just adjust your amount to how strong you want it to be.  I added some lactose to a coffee stout & it turned out to be my favorite one.  Good luck!  ?

• Like 1

I've posted my process before.  Cold brew strong coffee, then add one ounce of it to the bottle.  1 1/2 oz is too strong of the brew I make.

1 hour ago, RickBeer said:

I've posted my process before.  Cold brew strong coffee, then add one ounce of it to the bottle.  1 1/2 oz is too strong of the brew I make.

Just curious RickBeer, is there a reason not to just add it to the bottling bucket? I'll be starting down the Stout Rd in the next week or so with an Oatmeal Stout, coffee was going to be the next attempt

Nope.  You just have to decide if you want 5 gallons of coffee _____.  My first attempt I did my steeping (again, described in old post here:

I did some bottles 1 oz, some 1.5, and some none.  Learned that 1.5 is too much of my brew.  So this last time I did 50% with 1 oz of coffee, and 50% with none, so SWMBO can add peanut butter for her Peanut Butter Oatmeal Stout.

• Like 1

Thanks for all the feedback.  I wound up brewing a french roast K Cup, chilling it, and adding about 3/4 of an oz to each 1/2 liter bottle.   This was added to the St. Patrick's Irish Stout with 1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa.  The sample tasted REALLY good so I just wanted to get a subtle coffee taste to it and decided to go a little less than an ounce.  Bottled 8 regular, 4 w/ 4 ml Peanut Butter Brewer's Extract, 3 w/ 3/4 oz of coffee, and 1 (at the request of my son) with both the 3/4 oz of coffee and 4 ml of the PB extract -- he's calling that Chocolate Nut Coffee Ale. :)  Cracking one open on Thanksgiving.

Kevin

• Like 3

On 10/25/2016 at 0:02 PM, Kevin Caffrey said:

Thanks for all the feedback.  I wound up brewing a french roast K Cup, chilling it, and adding about 3/4 of an oz to each 1/2 liter bottle.   This was added to the St. Patrick's Irish Stout with 1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa.  The sample tasted REALLY good so I just wanted to get a subtle coffee taste to it and decided to go a little less than an ounce.  Bottled 8 regular, 4 w/ 4 ml Peanut Butter Brewer's Extract, 3 w/ 3/4 oz of coffee, and 1 (at the request of my son) with both the 3/4 oz of coffee and 4 ml of the PB extract -- he's calling that Chocolate Nut Coffee Ale. :)  Cracking one open on Thanksgiving.

Kevin

I know this is an old thread, but how did these come out?

I was thinking of doing the same, with just some slight changes.

1/2 cup Ghirardelli Chocolate Unsweetened Cocoa  to the boil

Two tbsp vanilla extract to cooling wort.

1 oz. Espresso to each 740 ml bottle.

What do you guys think?

On 9/26/2017 at 11:06 AM, doc280 said:

I know this is an old thread, but how did these come out?

I was thinking of doing the same, with just some slight changes.

1/2 cup Ghirardelli Chocolate Unsweetened Cocoa  to the boil

Two tbsp vanilla extract to cooling wort.

1 oz. Espresso to each 740 ml bottle.

What do you guys think?

Mine came out great!  Definitely at the top of the different recipes I've brewed these past few y ears.

I think your recipe above sounds like it would come out very good.  Not sure if the vanilla extract may make it *too* sweet, but why not find out!

My next brew is going to be a Vanilla Coconut Porter (Nilla Porter recipe basically with 1 oz of toasted shredded coconut added to the LBK).

Kevin

7 hours ago, Kevin Caffrey said:

Mine came out great!  Definitely at the top of the different recipes I've brewed these past few y ears.

I think your recipe above sounds like it would come out very good.  Not sure if the vanilla extract may make it *too* sweet, but why not find out!

My next brew is going to be a Vanilla Coconut Porter (Nilla Porter recipe basically with 1 oz of toasted shredded coconut added to the LBK).

Kevin

Thanks for the reply, I will give it a try. Look forward to an update on vanilla coconut porter, sounds interesting.