Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
Old Snipe

Table sugar, corn sugar, or carb drops

This may have been covered previously, but I haven't seen it. The people at Bull City Homebrew recommended corn sugar for bottle priming. They said it affects the flavor less and is less likely to lead to bottle bombs than table sugar. Cost-wise, it is comparable to table sugar and considerably less than carb drops. Any advice from the seasoned brewers on here will be appreciated. Are the dosing requirements similar for corn sugar and table sugar? 

It doesn't matter which sugar you use, none of them will affect the flavor when using for carbonation. Also, dextrose (corn sugar) isn't less likely to cause bottle bombs than sucrose (table sugar). The only reason someone would come to that conclusion is if they are using a dextrose dosage for sucrose. When priming, you will need slightly less corn sugar than table sugar. So if someone looks at the priming chart for corn sugar, but they are using table sugar instead, this could lead to over-carbonation, but probably not bottle bombs.

Our carb drops are basically table sugar that has been compressed into a convenient tablet form for our bottles.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Old Snipe said:

This may have been covered previously, but I haven't seen it. The people at Bull City Homebrew recommended corn sugar for bottle priming. They said it affects the flavor less and is less likely to lead to bottle bombs than table sugar. Cost-wise, it is comparable to table sugar and considerably less than carb drops. Any advice from the seasoned brewers on here will be appreciated. Are the dosing requirements similar for corn sugar and table sugar? 

Do they sell table sugar?  Nope.  

I have been using table sugar for 4 1/2 years...

Take a look at the info in my signature, covers a lot of your questions.  

• Like 2

Plain white cane sugar, table sugar (sucrose) is free of any "taste" except sweet. Dextrose is basically glucose which exists as a simple single sugar molecule (monosaccharide) as opposed to sucrose which are two simple sugar molecules attached (glucose and fructose forming the disaccharide sucrose). Yeast will metabolize both, with no appreciable difference. Store brand, cheap white table sugar works as well as the corn syrup (dextrose) that you'll pay more money for.

• Like 3

When I started brewing (early 2015), I read someone somewhere recommending corn sugar.  I've been using it all along, and have been happy with the results.  Granted, I would likely have been just as happy with the results using table sugar, but the corn sugar is inexpensive and I can keep it separate from our household sugar, therefore keeping SWMBO happy. 

• Like 1