Mr.Beer Community
MiniYoda

Reusing sanitized water

Okay, so here's the thing.  Going to brew four LKB's tomorrow.  That means using the standard weapons of war (whisk, spatula, can opener (manual, not electric), measuring cups, etc) more than once.  Normally I put everything in a large bowl full of sanitized water, then pour it out when done.  But that's when I did one LBK at a time.  I am wondering.  If I clean all the tools very well after a batch, can I put the tools back in the same sanitized water bowl, and have them ready for the next round?  In other words, can I re-sanitize something that is very clean with the same sanitizing bowl?  And if so, how often can I used this sanitized water?

MiniYoda..........cheap-o

define 'sanitized water'? do you mean water that has star san or mr beer sanitizer in it? or do you mean water that you have boiled? or other?

I take a 5 gallon bucket. I put about 2.5 gallons of water in it and add the appropriate amount of star san. or you can use iodophor. or any  sanitizer.   then in between batches after you wash the tools, you can drop them back into the sanitizing solution for a quick soak.

you aren't making 'sanitized water'. you are making a sanitizing solution.  

mr beer sanitizer I would not use for more than maybe a couple hours  of brewing. I don't think it retains its strength for hours as it is oxygen based.  I could be wrong. 

a bucket of star san can keep indefinitely for months and be used and reused as long as the ph level stays acidic (4 or lower).   put a sheet of saran wrap over the top and then push the lid on the bucket when storing. I found that over time condensation in the bucket can grow mold in the lid.

a bucket of iodophor in water doesn't keep as long as star san but it too can be reused to dip tools and stuff.  when it starts losing its red/brown color you know it is losing its potency.  I read somewhere that iodophor starts losing its power within 24 hours.

so ph based sanitizers? no problem. reuse.. keep.. store... etc.

oxygen based sanitizers? probably not.

iodine based sanitizers? reuse but don't store for more than a day.

• Like 3

I've done this with 2 batches of LBK brewed beer, but not with four, without incident.  Did your recipes come with the Mr. Beer sanitizer?  If so I'd just use 2/4 of them and not risk pushing it for all four. 

Zorak's answer is right on the money, reuse it all day if it is Mr. Beer sanitizer, then toss it.  Make it as directed, no stronger.

• Like 2

Zorak, I do mean sanitize "solution". Using the sanitizer that comes with Mr. Beer.  I'll probably just use it for two batches, then pour it out and make another bowl for the second two batches.  I have plenty of the stuff, and with brewing beer it's best to not cut corners.  As my pa used to say 'haste makes waste"

You are not cutting corners.  Using it for 4 batches in a row is a non-issue.

• Like 1

So that would mean than that I can pour it from one sanitized LBK into the next and sanitize a whole bunch of LBKS on that first filling?

Leaving it 10 min for each  - or less for the first and more for the last if it is less strong solution??

Bottles too if doing more than one batch? -  recover liquid from sanitized bottles. Again, any difference in time to leave them?

i went down to my local brew store and bought a can of LD Carlson Easy Clean....it was cheap and you only need a Tbsp per gallon. you will always have what you need on hand no matter how much you brew and it will give you piece of mind to mix up however much you need for LBK's/bottles and tools. 

i have 1 gallon drink pitchers i use....plenty for everything. caps/LBK's bottles and tools

cleaners are not sanitizers.

sanitizers are not cleaners.

soap is a cleaner. it is a surfactant agent that makes water 'wetter', allowing you to wash a lot of filth off something. does it disinfect? not well. that is why soap manufacturers add bad stuff like triclosan (cancer causing agent) to kill germs... or more simply, alcohol.

star san is a chemical sanitizer.  can you use it to wash your filthy dishes? sure. will it clean any better than just water? no.  . but any germs and mold etc will likely be nuked.   iodine is a chemical sanitizer.  open wounds are swabbed with betadyne to kill germs AFTER cleaning with soap and water.

I may be wrong but  LD Carlson Easy Clean is an oxygen based CLEANER.  so is oxiclean.. it cleans.

after you use it, there may still be mold spores, bacteria, foreign yeast etc clinging to the surface. it is not a chemical sanitizer.

mr beer sanitizer is an oxygen based sanitizer.

wash... sanitize.... use.

now.. having said that...  remember that beer was once made by fat sweaty Vikings and such who thought stirring wort with the family's "magic stick" made it turn to beer.   sanitation and bacteria were not known.  if you just wash equipment will you make infected beer? maybe yes.. maybe no.   I say why take chances?

nick.. yes.  fill one lbk.. soak... pour to next... soak... pour to next... soak....

put sanitized lid on each after to keep bad stuff from falling in.

remember to run sanitizer out through the spigot too.

as long as sanitized lbk is covered with lid you should be golden even if they sit for hours while you are brewing.

A couple of points.

1) Nickfixit - you need to make the solution as Mr. Beer tells you to, no weaker, no stronger.  Then use that same solution over and over as instructed, which is 10 minutes at least.  When you go from LBK to LBK (remembering to run some out the spigot), it is not getting weaker (unless you didn't properly dissolve to begin with.

2) Yes, cleaners are not sanitizers.  But...  Some cleaners do in fact sanitize but cannot claim that because it costs them more to keep that certification.  In fact, go read the Mr. Beer packet.  What does it say?  "No Rinse Cleanser, Cleans and disinfects".  Doesn't say it sanitizes...  If you follow the instructions for Easy Clean or One Step, in fact you're good to go.  

At one point I bought a big jar at the LHBS.  I then found out more about StarSan.  It is even cheaper, and lasts months, and it sanitizes in 30 seconds instead of 10 minutes.  Speeds up the brew day.  Costs me $.10 per gallon of solution.  Easy Clean, bought in a one pound container, was $3.99 (actually 10% less when you refilled the container as they did it in bulk).  As I recall there were less than 40 doses, but it's similar in cost - just doesn't last for months so it's more expensive and slower to work.  I sold mine to a neighbor and switched.

i have made many batches of beer in my LBK using the LD Carlson and never had a problem so it must be doing something right :) 

Oxygen cleaners will kill "germs" and work well for molds, bacteria, wild yeast and other buggers that might plague a brewer. They just need time and the proper concentration. The Hydrogen peroxide that you may use on a cut or abrasion just bubbles oxygen and that extra oxygen is deadly to microbes. BTW never use ordinary soap to clean. Soaps do not sanitize or disinfect. Detergents (like Ajax for your dishes) work differently and are good cleaners. Alone they are not good at disinfecting but using a dish washing liquid first, then rinsing well before you sanitize is a good idea. I go a little nuts, and use chlorine based spray on the faucet, sink, stove top, counter top, range hood, knobs and handles, cabinets and back splash. My wife loves brewing day as every inch of the kitchen is cleaned. Also, use paper towel - never a rag and never a sponge. I use an oxygen cleaner/disinfectant for the brewing equipment after washing with Ajax or Palmolive.

that's the problem.. 'need time and proper concentration'.  not many new brewers think to soak things in oxygen cleaners.  a common mistake .. dip.. go.