Mr.Beer Community
JBeer21

Just getting started

Well my first brew is 1 week from being done! I'm starting my new one and its a bourbon cocao milk stout. Amy suggestions on the bourbon I should use? Thinking a Makers mark?

GO!

I live in Louisville KY, heart of Bourbon country.  I've not tried to make a bourbon flavored beer, but have consumed my share of them.  Just about any bourbon would be good for this task, and I don't personally see a need to go with a premium choice.  In addition to Maker's there is;

http://whiskey.underthelabel.com/d/c/American/Bourbon

http://www.breakingbourbon.com/reviews-rating.html

A lot of people in "my neck of the woods" like Buffalo Trace, Knob Creek, Woodford Reserve and Blanton's.  If available in your area, go to the liquor store and buy several 50ml bottles of bourbons and sample them.  Regardless, bourbon cask stout, and bourbon cask ale, are very flavorful and very powerful!

I'd go with an "everyday" bourbon as the subtleties of the whiskey will be lost.  I use Evan Williams.

But really, any bourbon that you enjoy sipping will work. 

I used Bulliet bourbon for my Lock, Stock, & Barrel Stout. This bourbon has a bit of rye in it so it's full of flavor. Their full rye whiskey is nice, too. I might try that in my next batch.

Thanks everyone! I used makers mark because I had just enough to do it with it (didn't want to spend a lot with it being my first batch) I originally wanted bullet! Great bourbon! MiniYoda, thanks for the links! 

• Like 1