Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
Nightwulf1974

Gingerbread spice just floating a top beer

Hello,

I'm brewing a Gingerbread Brown Christmas Spiced Ale Special from AIH. The recipe calls for the addition of the spice packet to be added to the secondary and then racking the beer on top to let sit for a week.

My beer has been in my 5 gallon carboy (5 gallon batch) and has hit final gravity after about a week. Sample tasted great. I am not racking to secondary (I don't have a free bucket and never bother anyways) and just decided to add the spice on top of the already fermented beer. This is the first time I have dealt with spice of any kind.  

I then realized my "goof" when the spice pack just sat a top the beer. For some stupid reason I thought it would settle out and nope. I gently stirred for a few seconds, being very careful to not aerate the beer or cause any bubbles, but of course it's just a clump here and there and spice all over the top that probably will never settle.  After a few days, the spices have distributed over the top of the beer,  but again have not settled.   

I'm not too concerned if I'm going to lack the punch of the spice as intended, but just want to know if when I rack to the bottling bucket in another week if that will help "mix" some of that spice into the final product. I thought about gently stirring again after a few days, but I don't think it's worth the risk. 

Just want to know some suggestions of what to do at this point.

Thanks again! occasion14.gif

I would give it a good stir at the surface to sink the spice - without digging into the trub. It should settle pretty well in a week once you have the spice sunk..

If it does not sink, what I would do is make up another spice batch  by pouring boiling water over it to wet the spice (or boil it if it does not wet) and let it sit for a few minutes than let it cool a bit and add it to fermenter. It will distribute in  a day or so even  if you don't stir.

Next time I would either boil the spice or do the boiling water thing  to get it wet and sterilized.

Most times I put the spice into the boil just before flameout or maybe boil 5 min.  I did this with pumpkin beer, and used ginger powder too. (If big bits like mulling spice I put it in a bag.) 

You can also look at other recipes that use spice to see haw they treat it.

Too much spice though is worse than not enough, it can be harsh and then you have to wait for it to mellow out.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Nickfixit said:

I would give it a good stir at the surface to sink the spice - without digging into the trub. It should settle pretty well in a week once you have the spice sunk..

If it does not sink, what I would do is make up another spice batch  by pouring boiling water over it to wet the spice (or boil it if it does not wet) and let it sit for a few minutes than let it cool a bit and add it to fermenter. It will distribute in  a day or so even  if you don't stir.

Next time I would either boil the spice or do the boiling water thing  to get it wet and sterilized.

Most times I put the spice into the boil just before flameout or maybe boil 5 min.  I did this with pumpkin beer, and used ginger powder too. (If big bits like mulling spice I put it in a bag.) 

You can also look at other recipes that use spice to see haw they treat it.

Too much spice though is worse than not enough, it can be harsh and then you have to wait for it to mellow out.

Right on.  I gave it a good gentle stir and we'll see what happens   I don't have another spice pack as it came with the kit and it's not a huge deal. I'm letting it sit a week untouched and next time I use spices I'll try your approach.  

Thank you!

I think the point of waiting a 2 weeks before spicing it is to prevent aromas being lost with the fermentation off gassing.

A trick to remember for future batches is to put a sanitized marble or 2 in your spice sack to keep it down. This works with hop sacks, too. ;) 

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, MRB Josh R said:

A trick to remember for future batches is to put a sanitized marble or 2 in your spice sack to keep it down. This works with hop sacks, too. ;) 

Funny story...

When I first got into extract (non-HME) batches, I read about marbles.  I took a few and put them in the hop sack, then tossed it into the boil.  Did the same with the second one.  After I put the beer into the Mr. Beer fermenters and was cleaning up, I found in one of the sacks that 2 marbles had come apart.  Apparently they were fractured inside and the boil stress did them in.  That entire batch was then tossed for fear of a glass sliver.

I've heard that a stainless steel bolt or nut works well...

3 minutes ago, RickBeer said:

Funny story...

When I first got into extract (non-HME) batches, I read about marbles.  I took a few and put them in the hop sack, then tossed it into the boil.  Did the same with the second one.  After I put the beer into the Mr. Beer fermenters and was cleaning up, I found in one of the sacks that 2 marbles had come apart.  Apparently they were fractured inside and the boil stress did them in.  That entire batch was then tossed for fear of a glass sliver.

Yeah, I've never had that happen before. Strange, indeed. Yes, a large steel bearing, bolt, or nut should work. Anything small and heavy that's easy to sanitize.

Of course my wife said "You used the kids marbles?  The ones that they beat the crap out of over and over?  The ones that are over 20 years old?"

• Like 1

3 hours ago, RickBeer said:

Funny story...

Argh!  That is TERRIBLE!  >:(