Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
Nightwulf1974

1 gallon batch of wine in LBK

Hey all,

I have a gallon wine kit of Cabernet that I want to make, but my small carboy and secondary are being used for another batch of wine.  Any reason I couldn't use an LBK for this?  I don't see why not.  It's sterilized, clean and has only brewed one batch of beer.  

Thanks!

Plastic absorbs flavors, you need dedicated fermenters.  You're wine will taste like beer, you're beer will taste like wine. Neither very desirable. 

• Like 1

On 11/5/2016 at 5:21 PM, Nightwulf1974 said:

Hey all,

I have a gallon wine kit of Cabernet that I want to make, but my small carboy and secondary are being used for another batch of wine.  Any reason I couldn't use an LBK for this?  I don't see why not.  It's sterilized, clean and has only brewed one batch of beer.  

Thanks!

You can, you would just need to clean it very well with bleach right after. I've been fermenting wine in the LBKs (and Brewmax fermenters) for the past 2 years with no lasting aroma issues because I'm sure to clean everything well just before and after every use. A deep bleach cleaning is recommended after fermenting wine in your LBK.

• Like 1

On ‎11‎/‎7‎/‎2016 at 0:49 PM, MRB Josh R said:

You can, you would just need to clean it very well with bleach right after. I've been fermenting wine in the LBKs (and Brewmax fermenters) for the past 2 years with no lasting aroma issues because I'm sure to clean everything well just before and after every use. A deep bleach cleaning is recommended after fermenting wine in your LBK.

Josh:

What ratio of bleach to water for this cleaning?  I have a peach wine in secondary fermentation in an LBK right now.

1/2 cup of bleach to 1 gallon of cool water (1.5 cups total for a full LBK). Let stand for 2 minutes, then rinse VERY well and let air dry. Do this after your normal wash, preferably with an oxygen based cleanser such as Craftmeister or PBW. Your initial wash gets rid of soils and the bleach solution will help reduce leftover aromas and staining.

• Like 2