Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
harker1965

my first brew

After a few years watching Craigtube brewing videos, i have taken the plunge. ordered MB American Lager kit. after very meticulous sanitizing

of everything touching brew, in the LBK for three weeks, maintaining the temp. between 66 and 72 deg.F. Krausen at 2-3 days. three weeks in

the bottle, maintaining 68-70 deg. F here in hot Georgia. Started putting the bottles once a day through the fridge and sampling after 24 hours.

Have tried 5 of the bottles. With the exception of one bottle which was very tasty and well carbed, most taste like a beer flavored drink. No car-

bonation and no alcohol. I don't have a hydrometer so i can't test the alcohol along the way, just 45 years of beer experience. as to the carbonation,

no fizz and no upside down bubble storm. Any ideas?

Did you put sugar in the bottles?  If yes, how much and what size bottles?

Take the remaining bottles out and let them be for a total of 4 weeks in the bottle, more like 6, not counting the frig time.  And don't "maintain 68-70".  Bottles should be over 70, there is no reason to control temps.  If you kept them mid 60s that would explain lack of carbonation.

When you do refrigerate, they should be in frig for at least 3 days.  

It's impossible for them not to contain alcohol.  If you brewed a kit without booster, it is a low 3.1% though.

Thanks for the reply RickBeer. The bottles are 750 ml. I added two carb drops per bottle. I'll try your suggestions re: temp and

storing. Maybe i expected more buzz from this brew. I have Bewitched Amber Ale in the bottles for ten days. I will move them to 

room temp and update later.

BAA is a much better beer, and because there is more malt in it the ABV will be higher, like 5.1%.  None of them come out as the info says from an ABV standpoint (except when JoshR brews them).

I always add 1/2 pound of LME when I brew a base refill.  

Thanks for the info. I didn't have too high hopes for the AL, although it will improve with age. I started with that just to 

get the sanitizing and other techniques down. BAA is in the bottle, and i've moved them into another room in the house

with a little warmer temp. Next is the Porter standard refill. Followed by the 1776 Ale recipe i have. cheers

The Porter is not bad even standard.

But it is much better if you an add some malt (or even the booster pack if it comes with that). The nicest I made had 1 each smooth and robust LME packs as well.

If you can't get these easily but have a local home brew shop, Briess Sparkling Amber Malt will subst. for Smooth and Traditional Dark Malt for Robust, about 1/2 lb of each. But the Mr B LMEs are really nice flavors to add if you can get them in the Porter.

The 1776 is a good brew. I liked that one.

• Like 2

I'll second what Nickfixit said:  the Porter is good by itself but becomes REALLY good with some added LME or grain.

• Like 3

I really like the Nilla Porter recipe! Bottled it in May. Tastes awesome!! One of my favorite brews I've made! Only have 6 bottles left.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, John K. said:

I really like the Nilla Porter recipe! Bottled it in May. Tastes awesome!! One of my favorite brews I've made! Only have 6 bottles left.

Agreed!  I made this over a year ago and hadn't had one in over six months, but after having one last night, it definitely lands on my top five Mr. Beer recipes.  ??

• Like 2

20 hours ago, RickBeer said:

Take the remaining bottles out and let them be for a total of 4 weeks in the bottle, more like 6, not counting the frig time.  And don't "maintain 68-70".  Bottles should be over 70, there is no reason to control temps.  If you kept them mid 60s that would explain lack of carbonation.

As Rick said, move them to a location above 70.  I used to have all kinds of problems with carbonation until I built a chamber to raise the temps to 77.  Now I bottle, put them in the chamber and 2 weeks later have carbonated beer.  I always leave them in 3 weeks just to make sure.