Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
MurphMan

Extra Lme soft pack smooth

Good morning, I have a new brew schedule now that the weather is finally cooler here in Texas. After getting everything in order I do have some extra cans with one extra Lme smooth pack. I have a Diablo IPA and a Long Play IPA, can I use this smooth packet with either one without affecting the taste? As always, thank you for your input. 

No, you cannot use a smooth LME packet without affecting taste.  If you read the description of the smooth LME, it says "Reddish hues, coffee aromas, toffee richness of flavor with residual sweetness."  That's the impact that 8.8 ounces will have on the bigger can of HME.

Now, go read the descriptions of each HME.

Diablo IPA - Fiery amber in color with intense mouthfeel, displaying a blend of floral spice and stonefruit aromas with a firm and lingering bitter finish.  SRM (color) of 11, IBU of 70.

Long Play IPA -  With its golden caramel color, floral aromas, and signature IPA intense bitter finish, friends will have a hard time believing you brewed this beer yourself.  SRM (color) of 3, IBU of 70.

So, with a LME that is going to add some reddish hues, coffee aromas, toffee richness, and a bit of sweetness, which IPA would you pick?   See answer below.

Spoiler

Best answer - save it for a regular refill as you have a 5.1% ABV already.   Second best answer - add it to the Diablo.  

• Like 1

it'll probably tone down the hoppy flavor a bit, but I think it may turn out to be pretty tasty that way. I think the Diablo needs more hop to it. and with the new craft refill, Long Play, i'm sure its packed with a bit more hop. however, Josh would know that exact answer, i'm just speculating

1 hour ago, MurphMan said:

Diablo IPA

just cracked open a Diablo IPA I brewed early last month, added 3 kinds of hops, azzaca, waimea, and citra dry hop. after about 3 weeks in the bottle I tried one ( lie, drank many before ), and thot it was too subtle for an IPA, but at litte over 1 month in the bottle, the hops have blended well with the malts, the sweetness is lessened, and tastes much more the way a decent average IPA should taste

• Like 1

I have one Diablo fermenting with 0.5 oz Cascade at flameout. and will add another 0.5 oz Cascade dry hop a week before bottling.

I remembered the last one I did and it was good so I ordered another can (Amazon < $14.).

I added it to the Diablo, will let you all know the outcome. Thanks everyone for the input as always!

• Like 1

you will get something dreadful either way. I strongly suggest you mail the resulting beer to me as soon as it is bottled for proper disposal.

• Like 1

On 11/10/2016 at 8:34 AM, MurphMan said:

Good morning, I have a new brew schedule now that the weather is finally cooler here in Texas. After getting everything in order I do have some extra cans with one extra Lme smooth pack. I have a Diablo IPA and a Long Play IPA, can I use this smooth packet with either one without affecting the taste? As always, thank you for your input. 

Off topic Murph, but is that Ray Lewis in your profile picture?  You may have already answered this.  I honestly did not read through the entire post.

On December 1, 2016 at 5:14 AM, AnthonyC said:

Off topic Murph, but is that Ray Lewis in your profile picture?  You may have already answered this.  I honestly did not read through the entire post.

Looks like Ray Lewis to me...

• Like 1