Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
BrianBrew

Surly Dog IPA Hop Question

The Surly Dog IPA picture shows 2 packs of centennial hops and one pack columbus, but  the product information states 3 packs of columbus hops. It also states that it is supposed to be similar to Flying Dog Brewery – Centennial IPA. Which is it? Thanks in advance for your response. Probably a good question for Josh or someone else at Mr. Beer.

This is being fixed. It should all be Columbus due to a Centennial shortage. I will update the brewery to something more similar, too. Thanks for the catch!

10 hours ago, MRB Josh R said:

This is being fixed. It should all be Columbus due to a Centennial shortage. I will update the brewery to something more similar, too. Thanks for the catch!

Won't it taste different then?

Yes, it will taste different, but it will still be a damn good IPA (we've been getting better reviews for it). I personally prefer Columbus to Centennial, but it was the shortage of Centennial hops that prompted the decision. In fact, a lot of breweries will do this when they have a shortage on hops. They will use a substitute something fairly similar until they get what they need back in. It's common especially now with the brewing explosion going on.

With that said, we do have Centennial for sale now, but this was a change that happened when we had our major shortage and we have actually been receiving better reviews for this recipe. Customers are more than welcome to buy the components separately if they prefer Centennial.