Mr.Beer Community
Creeps McLane

I'm not sure what to do here

So I brewed an IPL, pitched at 60 and stuck it in my chamber around 57. One W34/70 lager packet 11.5 grams, unproofed. Patiently waited for bubbles in my airlock but I saw non after 3 days so I quick ordered another yeast packet. Brought the temp of my fridge back up to 60. Day 5 my yeast arrives and I run downstairs to pitch it and I see my airlock bubbles and then bubbles again. I'm like "well now what?" So I pitch it anyways figuring I should've used two in the first place so I may as well finally send in my yeast reinforcements. That night, no bubbles. Next day, no bubbles, two days later, no bubbles.  Now I'm sitting at 8 days fermenting with only one quick glimpse that something is actually happening.  I was gonna take a hydro reading but I'm sure I'll be sitting around my OG so why waste my time. 

I dont know know what to do.  Just wait it out? I thought about just throwing an 05 packet in it, raising my temp and praying for the best.  Maybe rack it to another bucket and repitch / pitch 05? It's like nothing is happening.  It's a partial mash recipe so I know I have sugars to be eaten. Maybe I should just take my reading and go from there. Major sad face over here. 

9 minutes ago, Jim Johnson said:

are you sure you got the lid back down tight?

It was for sure the first time. Ill check again

34/70 can ferment nicely at ale temperatures. I would suggest bringing the temp up to the low 60's to see if you get any action. If fermentation starts up you could them slowly lower temps back to the 50's. 

Just my $0.02

• Like 2

that's what I do the first 2-3 days of my Helles Bock, using the 34/70 yeast, I allowed it to warm up to around 60 carefully kept an eye on the temp, then brought the temp down during flocculation

• Like 1

Did you look inside to see if any action?

Maybe after this on is done, modify the lid to have a clear plastic window so you can see the action.

12 hours ago, Creeps McLane said:

Maybe I should just take my reading and go from there. 

Just saw this was double posted, so here is my reply for the other thread.

Yes. I haven't done a true lager yet, but I recently did a California Common that used Saflager S-23. It seemed to be a slow starter and I didn't see too much airlock activity. Since yours has been 8 days, I'd say take a gravity reading and see where it is. You might be surprised to find out that it has fermented quite a bit. I don't have my notes handy, but I think I let mine ferment in the controlled environment for about 2 weeks, then brought it out into the basement for another week or so.

• Like 3

Lagers won't show as much activity as ales because they are brewed with bottom-fermenting lager yeasts.

I really wish people would stop using airlocks as a gauge. They are for letting Co2 gas out while preventing oxygen from getting in. That is their ONLY function. The bubbling, or lack thereof, is NOT an indication of fermentation, or lack thereof. Your airlock may not bubble at all, or it may bubble for days past the completion of fermentation (this is called "residual off-gassing"). If you want to know whether your beer is fermenting or not, take a look inside (look for foaming or any activity), taste a sample, or take a hydrometer/refractometer reading. Your airlock won't tell you anything. 

• Like 6

All my lagers thus far , I always pitch 2 packs @60 degrees then slowly lower to 55,ferment 19 days slowly raise temp to 65 for 2 days , then cold crash to 34 degrees for 5 days then keg and carbonate then let it sit at 34 degrees for at least 3 weeks , my friggin Oktoberfest is great  I've been using s-23,never had a bad lager yet , prost! creeps brew on brother 

• Like 2