Mr.Beer Community
MiniYoda

Creating a recipe database

I'm still slightly overwhelmed as to how many recipes there are just using Mr. Beer products.  I've been asking myself, okay, what do I order next.  I thought, wouldn't it be helpful to have a searchable database, so that I could say "show me all recipes that use the Oktoberfest, and let me know how long each take", or show me all recipes that use have pumpkin and have a ABV above 5".

I'm an IT geek, part server admin, part programmer, part DBA.  I knew putting all these recipes in a database would be perfect to store and search.  But as with anything, baby steps.

Attached is MrBeerRecipes version 0.1.  It's a spreadsheet right now, not a database.  It's more of a starting point where people can submit suggestions on what to add, and how to format the fields.  Once I have all their recipes in, both current ones and archived, I will explore a way to put the file on the cloud for all to use.  I will then research a way to create a database where people can submit their own recipes.  I'm opening the floor right now to suggestions.  As I type this, I just thought of another field to add:  Seasonal (Christmas, fall, etc)

MiniYoda

MrBeerRecipes.xlsx

• Like 3

Hi, It seems some of that searching is on this page,  you can select the HME, and a whole range of parameters to filter by and it works pretty well

What would you say it is missing? 

I would say though it does need some update, there is only 1 Partial Mash recipe in there.

But assuming it was updated, then what else?  Other filters?

http://www.mrbeer.com/refills/recipes

Yes, for sure the archived, I think they are just moved to make the top search smaller. They do seem still to be for sale in most cases.

Even when out of stock it is nice to have them there so that recipes can be recreated even if Mr B does not have all the ingredients packageable.

I have been keeping my own recipe archive which includes some that are not available and not in the archived list either - if there is something I think looks good.

e.g Lucky Charms Milk Stout.

However, a bunch of the recipes are strangely here on this page e.g.

http://support.mrbeer.com/support/solutions/articles/5000623207-cerealiously-lucky-charms-milk-stout-recipe-instructions

A search for "recipe instructions" seems to find them all.

http://support.mrbeer.com/support/search/solutions?term=recipe+instructions&authenticity_token=4Eqd2DgrjWtRLLlzgLlWMqZsoABuyA0FtbwXKz8LXKQ%3D

So here is more data you can collect before they change the web site  :lol:

There is a lot of overlap but quite a few are not in the main page.

• Like 1

no, it's more data for all of us to collect before they change the web site.

A long time ago in a job far away (sorry.....had to), I was a web/db programmer.  While the way to do web pages and database have changed, the method to get there stays the same:

1) design the database.  what fields (items) each record (recipe) should have

2) implement or update a spreadsheet to hold this info

3) add records

4) repeat steps 1-3 for a while

5) design a web page (form) where people can enter search criteria.

6) write code to send information from page to a DB server

7) write code for the DB server to return the information

8) design a web page to display the results

All of these, to me, are very easy...I did this years ago using very simple web and database skills.  Things have changed over the years, so I'll have to work to make things better, but........baby steps.  First step is to design the database to hold the info needed, and add data to make sure all test cases work properly.  I am going to spend the next week or two adding data to the spreadsheet.  If folks can look at it and submit suggestions, please feel free to do so.  Not recipes yet.......just the pieces parts of a recipe.

The next big phase will be to convert the spreadsheet to a web form/results page.  While I can do this, I might talk to some friends who know more advanced methods.  I will also have to work with the Mr. B team to make sure that I can find a cloud site that will host the database and web server, and they can provide the link to this site for recipe searching.

Down the road, once we have something working, we can have a form where people can enter information to submit a recipe, such as the lucky charms milk stout.  Information about temperature ranges, ABV, conditioning times, can be recorded on each recipe.  One of my fields for each record is who submitted the recipe, so they (eventually) won't be all Mr. B's.....but of course, Mr. B's approved.  There will be methods to ensure that only certain people can approve and/or alter information in the database. 

It's a project, but I have the time on my hands now that SWMBO is now She Who Filed For Divorce.  I'm going to work on adding recipes and updating the design of the spreadsheet, and welcome ideas on the spreadsheet itself.  I'll submit updates from time-to-time.  Once we have something that looks good, I'll design simple web forms and a database, and find a site to host it.  Then, once we get a method to the madness, we'll add a method to add recipes.

Thanks, RickBeer.  We'll definitely add these recipes to the database in the future.  The key for me right now is to design the database, and the mechanism to search and display.

Wasn't saying to add them.  The 2012 and prior are obsolete.  The Wayback Machine allows you to find any recipe Mr. Beer had.  That's all.

12 minutes ago, RickBeer said:

Wasn't saying to add them.  The 2012 and prior are obsolete.  The Wayback Machine allows you to find any recipe Mr. Beer had.  That's all.

I can't get to the Wayback Machine from the office due to a security connection failed.  I'll have to check it out when I get back home. 

My intent is more than just finding a recipe.  My hope is that this will allow to search on multiple criteria and allow people to submit their own recipes

Understand.  I would suggest that you want to differentiate between a Mr. Beer created recipe and a customer created recipe though.

9 minutes ago, RickBeer said:

Understand.  I would suggest that you want to differentiate between a Mr. Beer created recipe and a customer created recipe though.

My current revision of the spreadsheet has a field for who submitted the recipe.  As of now, there are 152 records of Mr. Beer's recipes, but LOTS of details to type in.  I'll upload the latest version later today.

I am totally happy with just the spreadsheet. Probably database on web page is more generally accessible, but spreadsheet captures data and is OK for now.  Preserving the data is first for me, making it pretty is 2nd.

Obsolete recipes often use obsolete HME can styles so not useful. Same with some Mr Beer Seasonal cans, now not available. But Substiture recipes for the unavailable HME cans would be nice.

You could also add a rating system for "likes" on recipes ?  That would let people sort on popularity too.

7 minutes ago, Nickfixit said:

I am totally happy with just the spreadsheet. Probably database on web page is more generally accessible, but spreadsheet captures data and is OK for now.  Preserving the data is first for me, making it pretty is 2nd.

Obsolete recipes often use obsolete HME can styles so not useful. Same with some Mr Beer Seasonal cans, now not available. But Substiture recipes for the unavailable HME cans would be nice.

You could also add a rating system for "likes" on recipes ?  That would let people sort on popularity too.

I'm going to avoid the Obsolete recipes, since my column for HME will reference current products.  Perhaps someday Mr. Beer can find a way to bring obsolete recipes back to life with current HMEs.  I am adding the Archived ones, though, even if they are listed as "sold out".

I thought about the rating system, but that would be a later phase if/when the database comes online. There's no way to do a live rating system on a stagnant spreadsheet.  Once we get it live, we can do a rating, but I need to make sure one person can't do the rating more than once.

Quick question.  I have a field for ABV, but should I include fields for OG and FG?  Now is the time to add fields, before too many records are entered and I have to go back to find info

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, MiniYoda said:

I'm going to avoid the Obsolete recipes, since my column for HME will reference current products.  Perhaps someday Mr. Beer can find a way to bring obsolete recipes back to life with current HMEs.  I am adding the Archived ones, though, even if they are listed as "sold out".

I thought about the rating system, but that would be a later phase if/when the database comes online. There's no way to do a live rating system on a stagnant spreadsheet.  Once we get it live, we can do a rating, but I need to make sure one person can't do the rating more than once.

Quick question.  I have a field for ABV, but should I include fields for OG and FG?  Now is the time to add fields, before too many records are entered and I have to go back to find info

I would say yes - for the OG, FG.

You will need them probably if you plan to accommodate Mr Beer's future plan to supply All Grain recipes anyway. So think too,  about what you need for All Grain. 

And some user recipes will be all grain probably.

Even though I do not monitor these values, I think a lot of Mr B brewers do, and Mr B does give the values in the recipes. I would include ALL the parameters given by Mr B, as a minimum.

@MiniYodaSorry to hear about the SWFFD reason for free time. I went through that many years ago.  Having another thing to focus on is good, if there is no chance of reconciliation, otherwise I would say drop the brewing and focus on that.

16 minutes ago, Nickfixit said:

@MiniYodaSorry to hear about the SWFFD reason for free time. I went through that many years ago.  Having another thing to focus on is good, if there is no chance of reconciliation, otherwise I would say drop the brewing and focus on that.

Thanks, Nickfixit.  Despite best efforts, she didn't want to reconcile.  It's for the better for me, and if she thinks better for her, more power to her.  And look at it this way, if it weren't for the divorce, I would never had brewed my first beer.

• Like 3

Just now, MiniYoda said:

Thanks, Nickfixit.  Despite best efforts, she didn't want to reconcile.  It's for the better for me, and if she thinks better for her, more power to her.  And look at it this way, if it weren't for the divorce, I would never had brewed my first beer.

Always good to find "silver linings"

I doubt if any woman will have anything to do with me unless she's a gung ho beer drinker! my house is basically a storage and small brewing facility, I guess I have to thank my depressive state of mind I was in after I left the local liquor store after purchasing a case of craft beer and realizing it was almost $80.00!!!, then I made up my mind I can do better than this!! on and off I buy craft beer and its just getting way too ridiculous to buy anymore, one of the reasons i'm going 10 + gallons

35 minutes ago, MiniYoda said:

Version 0.2 of the spreadsheet attached.

Added several fields (thanks for all the suggestions) , and entered all the archived recipes plus one regular (Pumpkin Spice).  Total complete is 16.  There are some recipies that have a red block somewhere in their record, such as "season", "Ideal Temp" or "conditioning", because I couldn't find the information on the web page. If someone can send me this info, I'll added it.  Also, I'm open to suggestions on Season.  Should it be the season of the year?  or should it combine occasion, such as "Fall/Halloween"?  *OR*, should occassion be a separate field, so that Read White and blue would be Season=Summer, Occasion=4th Of July?

So far there are two recipies that have been "yellow lined".  These are a Limited Edition HMEs, and not a recipe which will be around for a long time.  I think they, and other Limited Edition HME's, should not be included.

Added the ability to filter out just the items you want.  Try this.  Click on the down error next to HME (column K), click the checkmark next to "(Select All) to turn off all the check marks, then check only "1 can American Ale".  Three records will show up.  Now click on the arrow for Flavor (Column D), uncheck ALL, and check "Hoppy".  You've now found all the recipies (so far) that you can use your extra can of American Ale that have a hoppy flavor.  Yes, I know there one recipe that calls for an American Ale and an American Lager, and it goes away when you just select Ale, but that is very easily resolved when this goes to database/web page.

The numbers for Fermenting, Carbonating, Conditioning, and Total Time represent number of weeks.  So far, all have the same 3 weeks of fermentation, and only Pumpkin Spice has a different number for carbination.  I'm still wondering if we need the column for "fermentation", since that never(?) changes from 3, and just make Carbination and Conditioning one column.  Once this goes into a web page, the number of weeks can be converted to months (or both weeks/months can be displayed)

Some of the text fields are complicated to read, but the database will handle this.  For example, LEO IPA has three different malts, and three different hops.  Not very clear to read as a single cell in a spreadsheet, but using databasing the info can be stored nicely and using web pages it can be displayed more clearly.

As for the full-grain suggestion, I'm not opposed, I just don't have a recipe I can use to see how it will fit in the spreadsheet.  If someone one wants to message me with one, I'll make it work.

The field Special Instruction (column AB) is the one that gets me.  It's either "none", or some long paragraph.  In one case, LEO, I said "to hack with this" and put in See Directions.  I'm thinking for Mr. Beer's recipes, just "follow directions on web link" and people can go to the link in the next column to read their step-by-step directions.  Easy to do on a web page.  For people adding their recipies, this is where you give step-by-step directions.

Thanks for everyone's input.  I will try to add more recipies this evening, and any suggestions you might have for changes.

MrBeerRecipes.xlsx

15 minutes ago, MiniYoda said:

Ideal Temp

You can find that on the Instructions tab on the product page

2 minutes ago, MRB Tim said:

You might have to switch from the Product Information tab to the Instructions tab on the product page to see some of those, others are listed on the info tab. We could probably do well to standardize that a bit

I tried to do this, and caught it on most of the recipes, but might have missed some.  If anyone wants to pass along any mistakes, or can provide better info, I'd be happy to update the spreadsheet.  Eventually, when this goes live on a web page, we'll set things up so that anyone at Mr. Beer and perhaps a few select others can be admins for the database and can fix issues.

• Like 2

Next..... to write software that will read the Mr B web pages and update the data in the database/spreadsheet.

Getting the spreadsheet to complete from a database is ok but I have not seen doing it from web site. A standardised web page format would surely help.

You probably have this nailed but for others this may give some ideas.

https://support.office.com/en-us/article/Get-external-data-from-a-Web-page-708F2249-9569-4FF9-A8A4-7EE5F1B1CFBA

version 0.3 of the spreadsheet.  Tired of this yet?

Total recopies so far - 27
Removed the seasonal HME-only recipes. 
Added a column for mash.  For now, it's either "no" or "partial".  Suggestions are welcomed
Removed "can" from the HME column

Is it safe to assume that if three recipes have "Temp Range" at 59-75 and Ideal Temp at 67, then any recipe with the same temp range should have that same Ideal Temp? 

Let me know if you have any questions/comments

MrBeerRecipes.xlsx

And you thought you could just ignore me.  HA.  Here's version 0.5 of the spreadsheet (0.4 was an internal update)

- removed the Seasonal field.  This is somewhat subjective for now.  If/when it becomes a true database, I'll add it, but there is no reason to have it for now

- added page 2 of Mr. B's recipes, and part of page 3.  Sorry, I'm tired, a bit tipsy, and have to get up sometime in the morning.  I'll add more tomorrow

- Fixed a few spelling mistakes, and changed the wording of some data for clarity

I found several mistakes as I add more recipes.  Please.......feel free to look it over and send me corrections.  For now, column AB (Special Instructions)....We can deal with that later.  It's a place holder

Please feel free to Personal Message me any change so to not clutter thread.  Next update will be Wednesday (late) evening

MrBeerRecipes.xlsx

yea........I'm Back

version 0.6.  Getting closer

- Finished page 5 of Mr. Beer's recipes
- Merged "Malt" and "Grains" to just Malt.  Not sure what I was thinking, but this is obviously the same thing.
- There were some recipes that require malts, but weren't shown as "Partial Mash".  Please correct me if I am wrong, but I believe that if you have to steep grains, this makes it a Partial Mash.
- Fixed a few things here and there.  Spelling mistakes, etc.

- Fixed issues with HME, LME, DME and Yeast.  This should make searching easier.  Will work on Hops on the next version.
- Unless there is a reason not to do so, on the next version I will remove "Fermentation" and "Conditioning".  I'm not aware of any situation where these should not be 3 weeks each.  Please let me know if there is.

Haven't heard from anyone yet about the spreadsheet.  If you have a free 15-30 seconds, please feel free to look things over and give me your opinion.  Post to this thread or personal message me. 

Thanks in advance

MrBeerRecipes.xlsx

Still going................version 0.7

- Finished recipe page 7.  My fingers hurt.
- Swapped Fruit column and Hop Sack column.  Now Hops and Hop Sack are next to each other.  Just kinda made more sense
- Removed Fermentation and Carbonation columns.  If any recipe calls for something other than 3 weeks for each, I'll add that data to the instructions
- Technically, a jalapeño is a fruit, but I've put reference to them in "Other".  By popular vote, I can change this.

Haven't heard from anyone about the spreadsheet.  I could still use some help, especiall the "Ideal Temperature" field.  Most of Mr. Beer's recipe pages don't have this, and I really don't want to guess.  Comments and suggestions are welcomed.  I'm going to keep working on it this weekend but don't forsee that I will be done this weekend.  Perhaps in a couple of weeks

MiniYoda

MrBeerRecipes.xlsx

• Like 1

version 0.72. minor update

- finished page 10 of the recipes (no, not that much work, most of the items were "refill"
- more records added.  A few...but some
- fixed (I think) issues with "yeast" and "cider".

Big news is that I've installed MS SQL Server Express 2016 SP1 on one of my computers.  Why do you care?  Right now, you don't.  The ultimate plan is to have a database where people can search and recipes.  You can't have a database unless you have a database server.  I am very familiar with Microsoft products (not the best, but it works), so that is why I'm using it. 

I need to work on SQL scripting to search/udpate/etc the recipes.  This will take a while, as I haven't writen SQL code since two presidents ago.  To do this work, I will need to take a brief pause on updating the spreadsheet.  I still request that everyone look things over on the spreadsheet and submit your opinions.  Once I get the DB server working, I'll work on the web server.  And no, that WON'T be fun

MrBeerRecipes.xlsx

It looks good so far, The ferment temperatures will follow the yeast included with the kit.

Custom recipes will include an alternate yeast that administer flavor. Nice work and commitment.

A hyperlink in the spreadsheet to procedure guidelines for each recipe might help some as well. All are different.

I like it, M

4 hours ago, MnMBeer said:

It looks good so far, The ferment temperatures will follow the yeast included with the kit.

Custom recipes will include an alternate yeast that administer flavor. Nice work and commitment.

A hyperlink in the spreadsheet to procedure guidelines for each recipe might help some as well. All are different.

I like it, M

Thanks for the comments.  All information that I have is based on the recipe page.  In all cases, the temperature range is there, but in most cases the ideal temperature isn't.  I can guess at most of them, but it's not for me to do so, as I didn't create them and don't know enough to be 100% certain.  Every entry has a hyperlink a the end of the record, which (should) jump to the page for the recipe.  If I missed one, please let me know.

On 11/25/2016 at 10:16 PM, MiniYoda said:

yea........I'm Back

version 0.6.  Getting closer

- Finished page 5 of Mr. Beer's recipes
- There were some recipes that require malts, but weren't shown as "Partial Mash".  Please correct me if I am wrong, but I believe that if you have to steep grains, this makes it a Partial Mash.

Steeping grains is not mashing. It's a difference between time and temperature maintenance. With mashing, the temperature range that must be maintained is much narrower. You mash for 60 minutes, steeping is usually 30 minutes. While they are 'similar', they are not the same. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, scouterbill said:

Steeping grains is not mashing. It's a difference between time and temperature maintenance. With mashing, the temperature range that must be maintained is much narrower. You mash for 60 minutes, steeping is usually 30 minutes. While they are 'similar', they are not the same. 

This is one of those situations where the brain wanted to type one thing, but the fingers had something else planned.  For now, I'm going to leave the spreadsheet as "none" or "partial mash", which is what Mr. Beer has.  More entries can be added here in the future.

version 0.8

- Page 11 of the recipes finished.  11 recipes added (one on the page was a refill pack)

- Fixed issues with the Hops field caused by inconsistencies

- A few more fixes here and there

Going to put the spreadsheet to a test tomorrow.  I have 16 cans of HME, and want to see what I need to buy as far as LME, DME, boosters, hops, etc, in order to have some interesting things brewing/conditioning.

MiniYoda

MrBeerRecipes.xlsx

Good job on this, Yoda.  I didn't look at all of them carefully, but I did find one typo.  When I filtered to look at recipes using the Czech Pilsner refill (because I have an extra one without a plan yet), it mistakenly included the Cerealiously Lucky Charms Milk Stout.  Take a look when you get the chance.

thanks for pointing that out.  Somehow the recipe for Armstrong Dortmunder Export got in for the Cereal record.

I found the recipe in the archives, and fixed most of the information.  I read the thread for this recipe, and saw where MRB Josh suggested 6-8 weeks for conditioning.  I didn't see anything for OG, FG, ABV, SRM or IBU, so if anyone has made this recipe and wants to send the data to me, I'll add it to the next release (sometime this weekend)

• Like 1

On ‎11‎/‎26‎/‎2016 at 5:00 PM, MiniYoda said:

Still going................version 0.7

- Finished recipe page 7.  My fingers hurt.
- Swapped Fruit column and Hop Sack column.  Now Hops and Hop Sack are next to each other.  Just kinda made more sense
- Removed Fermentation and Carbonation columns.  If any recipe calls for something other than 3 weeks for each, I'll add that data to the instructions
- Technically, a jalapeño is a fruit, but I've put reference to them in "Other".  By popular vote, I can change this.

Haven't heard from anyone about the spreadsheet.  I could still use some help, especiall the "Ideal Temperature" field.  Most of Mr. Beer's recipe pages don't have this, and I really don't want to guess.  Comments and suggestions are welcomed.  I'm going to keep working on it this weekend but don't forsee that I will be done this weekend.  Perhaps in a couple of weeks

MiniYoda

MrBeerRecipes.xlsx

nicely done!!! I wouldn't have a clue on how to start such a task! I can barely know how to type on a keyboard using one finger....

• Like 1

Thanks for the kind words folks, both public and PM.  Also again thanks to wvu1989 for pointing out the recipe mistake.

I have a busy week at work (for a change), and a busy weekend, but I'll add as many recipes as I can.  I haven't revisited the database server issue...that might wait until vacation week (12/26-12-30)

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, scouterbill said:

Wow Yoda!!! Recognition from the man himself. :wub:

Wouldn't that be Obi-wan?

• Like 2

Again, folks, thanks warmly for the comments.  Everyone here is making it feel like this tiny bit of work is worth my while

Please, however, don't think this is a solo project.  I'm opening it to everyone here to help out.  Feel free (hit to MRB Josh, MRB Tim, the Brewing Guru, brew masters, brew meisters and brew misters) to help out with the project:

1)  Help me with the missing information.  It's the cells in red.  There are holes in the original recipe pages that need to be filled.  Some have ideal temperature, some don't.  For example, there are a LOT that are range of 68-76 but no ideal temp.  Tangerously Hoppy IPA has the same temp range but an ideal of 70.  Does this mean that all in this range should be ideal 70?  I've seen the suggestion to always brew non-lagers at 65....do we do this for all the non-lager recipes?   I can half <CENSORED> guess at some, but I really don't want to.  I rather those in the know do this.  Just change the cells from red to green (or your favorite college team's color), and add the info, then send the spreadsheet back to me by personal message (aka PM)

2)  Help me with the incorrect information.  It's the cells in white....well, not all of them.  I've made some fixes myself, and fixed some stuff from suggestions on this thread and by PM.  However, there are cases where I'm not sure if the info is correct.  For example, Velvet Elvis has Temp range of 59-75 and ideal of 72, while Watermelon Wheat has the same range but ideal of 65.  This could be because of the difference in HME and/or Yeast and/or fruit added, but as a beginner, I just am not confident to say what is correct.  Please feel free to look at each recipe and let me know if you agree or don't agree.

3) Help me with your opinion.  Especially for "type".  Some of the types listed are because of the HME, some are because of the comments on the recipe page, some are red because I simply didn't know (Barley's Cucumber Cerveza could be either Cerveza, or fruit....yes a cucumber is a fruit).  If you know more about this recipe, and I guessed the wrong "type", let me know.

4)  Suggest additions to fields (the columns).  I *really* want to add "Season", and have information such as Spring, Summer, Fall, Winter, Halloween, Christmas, 4th of July, Easter, Arbor Day, etc, etc, etc.  This way, you could select "Christmas" as the season, "porter" as the HME, sort by ABV, and with this search you would look at Total Time and figure out when to start brewing a strong holiday porter in time to share with Santa.  Or, select "4th of July" for season, "fruity" for Flavor, and you'll know when to start a red raspberry and blue blueberry ale to have it ready by Independence Day (with honors to Barley).

I should have all the recipes on Mr. B's web site added by Sunday evening.  Will put in overtime if need by (I'll only charge double time for weekend hours).  If you want to wait until the final spreadsheet, feel free to do so.  I'll be putting the project on "visual hold" once the spreadsheet is done.  I have a lot of work to do on the database server, importing the data, adding tables, normalizing the database, and creating the T-SQL for search, add, delete, edit, and secure confirm.  After that I need to set up the web server, and write ASP code to display and submit web page information.  SORRY.......I geeked out there for a second.  That basically means I need to create a place to store the data and add web pages so that we can search the recipes, add new ones (with approved people approving the info), and edit information.  I'm hoping that by vacation week (12/24 to 1/4), I will have a functional web site, but I might not be as complete on this as I'd like.

MiniYoda......Hoppy and Happy

3 hours ago, RickBeer said:

Wouldn't that be Obi-wan?

Sorry, gotta geek out. Yoda was Obi-Wan's master! :P :lol:

version 0.95.  ALMOST there

All 146 recipes of Mr. Beer's library that I can find are now on the spreadsheet.  If I missed one (wouldn't surprise me), please let me know.  Had to take some records out.  These involved product such as hard pear cider or winter dark ale, which are no longer available.  Can't believe I missed out on the hard pear cider.  DANG IT.

There is a heck of a mess when it comes to Conditioning and Total time.  The problem is that one month isn't 4 weeks. 6 months is 26 weeks, but 6x4 is 24.  I'm going to have to do some thinking when it comes to these two fields.  Do I go with only weeks, only months, or somehow figure out how to combine both.  I will figure something out, and will fix everything for the final release.

Still lots of pink...missing information. I'm hoping that those in the know can help me to add info.  I want this to be a community effort.  Eventually this data will be online, and will be searchable/updateable.  Once the spreadsheet is "done", I will work on the database server and the web pages to make online.  I'd like to be as close as possible to "done" before we go online, and I'd like your input to get there

MrBeerRecipes.xlsx

version 0.99  Almost the last version of the spreadsheet.  The only change is to Pumpkin Rising.  Instead of the long winded recipe instructions, I simply put See Directions.

Had to do this, because I *FINALLY* have a database server and the spreadsheet loaded, and had an issue with too much information in "Special Instructions" for that recipe.  What this means to the average non-geek....nothing.  Sorry.  What this means to us true geeks (and any nerds) is that I've passed the first step into putting the spreadsheet online.  there's a LOT to go, but I'm slowly getting there.  I have to fix the fields, and try to make "Special Instructions" hold more information. Also, "link" lost the link, and some fields didn't convert correctly.  But, it's one step closer

MrBeerRecipes.xlsx

Version 1.0.  Final release.........until further notice

Fixed many issues with the HME, LME, Malt and Hops.  MANY MANY issues with "Malt". There *is* a difference between Pilsner and Pilsen.  Also, I'm going with ounce, not with Mr. Beer 4oz packets.  I'm thinking that some people might buy their supplies from somewhere other that this site (SHAME on them!).  While Mr. Beer sells their malts in 4oz packets, it's probably possible that people can buy grains in larger quantities.  To make sure the recipe is as accurate as possible, I'm going with ounces.  Discussion is open.

Found and fixed lots of issues while transferring the spreadsheet to the database server.  The spreadsheet had issues........Sticky Sticky Sticky issues.  Please, feel free to help me find more.  I'd like to fix all the issues on this spreadsheet before the database goes live

Added the recipe for Mulled Cider.  I will add all future recipes to the spreadsheet but won't post updates until the database server is up and running.  Discussion Is Open

After lots of thought, I decided to make "Hard Cider Refill" an HME.  Before you go ballistic, I know that there is no Hops, no Malt, and no Extract in a hard cider refill.  But, Cider is the core ingredient in several recipes.  You can make the Brigid's Blonde without the pale LME, but you can't make the Booberry Gobbler without the Hard Cider Refill.  Unless there is a reason not to do so, I'll make cider an HME and not put it in the Fruit column.  Discussion is open

Data is *FINALLY* on the database server.  What that means....not much, yet.  I now have to build a web server.  But, this project is getting closer.  I'm still hoping that people will look over the spreadsheet and help me fix the information.

This project won't have many more updates for a while. It'll take a while to get the web server set up, and then lots of web programming.  My plan is, by the end of the year, we'll have something up and running.

adoYiniM

MrBeerRecipes.xlsx

• Like 1

On 12/11/2016 at 4:14 PM, MiniYoda said:

Version 1.0.  Final release.........until further notice

Fixed many issues with the HME, LME, Malt and Hops.  MANY MANY issues with "Malt". There *is* a difference between Pilsner and Pilsen.  Also, I'm going with ounce, not with Mr. Beer 4oz packets.  I'm thinking that some people might buy their supplies from somewhere other that this site (SHAME on them!).  While Mr. Beer sells their malts in 4oz packets, it's probably possible that people can buy grains in larger quantities.  To make sure the recipe is as accurate as possible, I'm going with ounces.  Discussion is open.

Found and fixed lots of issues while transferring the spreadsheet to the database server.  The spreadsheet had issues........Sticky Sticky Sticky issues.  Please, feel free to help me find more.  I'd like to fix all the issues on this spreadsheet before the database goes live

Added the recipe for Mulled Cider.  I will add all future recipes to the spreadsheet but won't post updates until the database server is up and running.  Discussion Is Open

After lots of thought, I decided to make "Hard Cider Refill" an HME.  Before you go ballistic, I know that there is no Hops, no Malt, and no Extract in a hard cider refill.  But, Cider is the core ingredient in several recipes.  You can make the Brigid's Blonde without the pale LME, but you can't make the Booberry Gobbler without the Hard Cider Refill.  Unless there is a reason not to do so, I'll make cider an HME and not put it in the Fruit column.  Discussion is open

Data is *FINALLY* on the database server.  What that means....not much, yet.  I now have to build a web server.  But, this project is getting closer.  I'm still hoping that people will look over the spreadsheet and help me fix the information.

This project won't have many more updates for a while. It'll take a while to get the web server set up, and then lots of web programming.  My plan is, by the end of the year, we'll have something up and running.

adoYiniM

MrBeerRecipes.xlsx

Youre nuts you know that. At first i was like "he'll give up". But you didnt. You did a really good job. 

I clicked on the last link and it downloaded right into my apple numbers app. Its like as if i made it myself, sitting right there in all my recipes.

when i brought it over to numbers i realize i might have lost things but can you make it so the top row stays at the top when you scroll. So if im looking at zombie fest lager i dont have to scroll

back to the top to see what column im looking at?

• Like 1

The spreadsheet was created using Office and Excel 2007.  It's all I have on my windoze machine.  I have things set so that the top row (column headers) and first column (recipe name) are frozen.  It looks like your app didn't understand the Excel 2007 way of freezing panes.  Sorry, wish I could help.  Anyone here know how to freeze panes on Apple Numbers?

Oh, and no, I won't give up....too hard headed for that.  I will quit before everything is 100% done with an online searchable and updateable recipe web site., but I will get it as far as I'm capable of doing.  Eventually, the team at Mr. Beer will need to take over..........but we're not close to that yet.

• Like 3

28 minutes ago, MiniYoda said:

The spreadsheet was created using Office and Excel 2007.  It's all I have on my windoze machine.  I have things set so that the top row (column headers) and first column (recipe name) are frozen.  It looks like your app didn't understand the Excel 2007 way of freezing panes.  Sorry, wish I could help.  Anyone here know how to freeze panes on Apple Numbers?

Oh, and no, I won't give up....too hard headed for that.  I will quit before everything is 100% done with an online searchable and updateable recipe web site., but I will get it as far as I'm capable of doing.  Eventually, the team at Mr. Beer will need to take over..........but we're not close to that yet.

Got er thanks

IMG_1568.JPG

3 hours ago, MiniYoda said:

Outstanding spreadsheet!!!  I've been away for awhile and am just now getting caught up.

The only thing I noticed was on the filters.  On my Excel for Mac 2011, it looks like the filter range is $B$1:$X$147.  But I would want Column A to change with any filtering/sorting that I do on the other columns...so I changed that to $A$1:$X$147.  That might just be particular to my version or the way my Excel version opens your file.

But once again, thanks for all the work that went into this!  I'm going to use it.

4 hours ago, K5WX said:

Outstanding spreadsheet!!!  I've been away for awhile and am just now getting caught up.

The only thing I noticed was on the filters.  On my Excel for Mac 2011, it looks like the filter range is $B$1:$X$147.  But I would want Column A to change with any filtering/sorting that I do on the other columns...so I changed that to $A$1:$X$147.  That might just be particular to my version or the way my Excel version opens your file.

But once again, thanks for all the work that went into this!  I'm going to use it.

Not sure what is going on for you, KSWX.  The filter range in Microsoft Excel in Windoze is the first row, the column headers.  I can modify the file for you and remove the freeze panes, and then you pull it into your Excel for Mac and try to re-freeze the panes.

But, once the online searchable database is running (scheduled for the week between Christmas and New Years), you won't need the spreadsheet anymore.  :D

@MiniYoda - I was skimming through your posts and saw you mentioned getting the development books out.  If you have questions let me know.  I am a professional PHP developer and have a number of other IT related titles.  If you happen to be developing using the Yii framework even better...I'm an expert there.

most of my web development, although MANY years ago, was in ASP.NET using the windows platform.  I know very little about php, and will have to research which might be the best route to go.  I'll stay in touch!

Oh, and thanks for the offer

I'm back in the saddle again..........

Okay I'll spare y'all from my western singing talents, of which I have none.  Just to let anyone who gives a hairy rats fanny that I'm working on this project again.  10 days of being off work, and the things I have to do during this time are (in no particular order)

1) work on the recipe database, making it online searchable

2) drink beer

3) seeing the movie Rouge One at least twice (Christmas Day)

4) drink beer

5) going to the storage unit and work on empting it out.  Long story......won't bore you

6) drink beer

7) help my land lord work on the apartment building

8) drink bourbon (need variety)

9) brew three LBKs

10) drink beer

Most of the work is behind the scenes.  For now, lots of SQL programming.  I'll post if I have something that is worth checking out.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, MiniYoda said:

I'm back in the saddle again..........

Okay I'll spare y'all from my western singing talents, of which I have none.  Just to let anyone who gives a hairy rats fanny that I'm working on this project again.  10 days of being off work, and the things I have to do during this time are (in no particular order)

1) work on the recipe database, making it online searchable

2) drink beer

3) seeing the movie Rouge One at least twice (Christmas Day)

4) drink beer

5) going to the storage unit and work on empting it out.  Long story......won't bore you

6) drink beer

7) help my land lord work on the apartment building

8) drink bourbon (need variety)

9) brew three LBKs

10) drink beer

Most of the work is behind the scenes.  For now, lots of SQL programming.  I'll post if I have something that is worth checking out.

When will you find time to drink beer if youre busy with your to do list of drinking beer and creating beer and Star Wars???

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Creeps McLane said:

When will you find time to drink beer if youre busy with your to do list of drinking beer and creating beer and Star Wars???

Note to self..........forgot to add "sleep". 

Okay, I'll fit some beer in  between the beer

Thanks Creeps.

• Like 1

Spreadsheet update.  Version 01042017

- This and future spreadsheet will have a version number as the last line of the spreadsheet.  The version number is simply the release date.

- Moved "Mulled Cider" to the correct alphabetical location.

- Very minor corrections.

- After a very brief consideration, I've gone through each recipe and added Category and Style.  This is based on the information on each recipe page, as provided by Mr. Beer and www.bjcp.org.   I entered the information as it shows on each page, so don't shoot the messenger.  If you don't agree with the choice, check with the folks at Mr. B.  I personal don't agree with how Fresno Chile Beer is listed, and I can logically guess at Sparkling Cerise Cider, but they aren't my recipes, so it's not my call.  Lots of blank spaces, as this information wasn't provided for archived recipes.  For now, it'll making finding Irish beers easy to find.

- Oh, I wasn't sure if the names "Category" and "Style" for these columns are correct.  It was 2:30am when I started adding this information (insomnia).  If someone can tell me what the categories should be called, I'd appreciate it.

The online searchable database is on hold.  I've reached out to the folks at Mr. Beer for guidance on how to proceed, but as of yet have not heard from them.  I'm sure they've been busy over the holidays.  I don't want to do any web development work that isn't needed or goes in the wrong direction.  Most of the SQL programming code has been done, as that is behind-the-scene.  I'll add the Category/Style to the SQL database tonight.

MrBeerRecipes.xlsx

On 1/4/2017 at 5:41 AM, MiniYoda said:

Spreadsheet update.  Version 01042017

- This and future spreadsheet will have a version number as the last line of the spreadsheet.  The version number is simply the release date.

- Moved "Mulled Cider" to the correct alphabetical location.

- Very minor corrections.

- After a very brief consideration, I've gone through each recipe and added Category and Style.  This is based on the information on each recipe page, as provided by Mr. Beer and www.bjcp.org.   I entered the information as it shows on each page, so don't shoot the messenger.  If you don't agree with the choice, check with the folks at Mr. B.  I personal don't agree with how Fresno Chile Beer is listed, and I can logically guess at Sparkling Cerise Cider, but they aren't my recipes, so it's not my call.  Lots of blank spaces, as this information wasn't provided for archived recipes.  For now, it'll making finding Irish beers easy to find.

- Oh, I wasn't sure if the names "Category" and "Style" for these columns are correct.  It was 2:30am when I started adding this information (insomnia).  If someone can tell me what the categories should be called, I'd appreciate it.

The online searchable database is on hold.  I've reached out to the folks at Mr. Beer for guidance on how to proceed, but as of yet have not heard from them.  I'm sure they've been busy over the holidays.  I don't want to do any web development work that isn't needed or goes in the wrong direction.  Most of the SQL programming code has been done, as that is behind-the-scene.  I'll add the Category/Style to the SQL database tonight.

MrBeerRecipes.xlsx

I will take a look at it when I can, but as you correctly deduced, we have been very busy from the holidays. It will probably stay that way for the next few weeks as customers will be using gift cards and calling for advice. It's our busiest time of the year. But when I get a chance, I'll take a look and give you some input.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, MRB Josh R said:

I will take a look at it when I can, but as you correctly deduced, we have been very busy from the holidays. It will probably stay that way for the next few weeks as customers will be using gift cards and calling for advice. It's our busiest time of the year. But when I get a chance, I'll take a look and give you some input.

Did you find the time to go out and buy friends/family and gifts, or did everyone get a pack of Saflager W-34/70 in their stocking?

• Like 1

Latest version of the spreadsheet, version 01202017

- Removed column "Type".  This was mostly a "my best guess" of what the beer type was.  The columns "Category" and "Style" are much more accurate.

- First attempt at cleaning up the pink missing-data cells.  What I've done is set the Ideal Temp for any recipe that uses Saflager S-23 or Saflager W-34/70 to 55F.  The value of "55" is still pink, and if there are no objections, I will make the cells white in the next version.

- In future versions I will do a best-guess at missing information.  For example, if two recipes use very similar ingredients, the same yeast, have the same temp range and conditioning time, but one is missing "ideal temp", I'll consider them similar enough to fill in the missing ideal temp with the same value as the recipe that has this information.  I'd *MUCH* rather be told what to put for the missing information, though, so if anyone has better information than a "best guess", please post or message me.

MrBeerRecipes.xlsx

You are reminding me of when C migrated to C++ and Excel Tables were introduced to actual coding.

The algorithms assemble into the excel  cells and migrate into compiler. It was easy. The SQL is very reliable, powerful but has many back doors it is unfortunate that the powerful DB software has so many un-reputible on lookers.

The best DB emulators are from linux under a windows OP system.

Lets make Beer, M

• Like 1

Thanks, MnMBeer.  For now, it's just a spreadsheet.  I have a db version, which I can give to the folks at Mr. Beer, but they've been busy so I haven't heard from them yet.  This is more a labor of love that I'm happy to share and hope someone has use for it. 

• Like 1

According to MB's website the following yeast's have a 59-75f temp range:

Safale S04

Safale US05

Safbrew S33

Safbrew T58

Safbrew WB06

I do not know the ideal temp but many of your recipes reflect a different range. 

I am currently looking for an ideal low temp yeast for most ales and ipa and am thinking of experimenting with Safale US05. 

Keep up the great work ... I cant wait to see it expanded with member recipes (using MB product of course) ... the recipe list to choose from will be impossible to choose from!

B. 

14 minutes ago, Blackhawks said:

According to MB's website the following yeast's have a 59-75f temp range:

Safale S04

Safale US05

Safbrew S33

Safbrew T58

Safbrew WB06

I do not know the ideal temp but many of your recipes reflect a different range. 

I am currently looking for an ideal low temp yeast for most ales and ipa and am thinking of experimenting with Safale US05. 

Keep up the great work ... I cant wait to see it expanded with member recipes (using MB product of course) ... the recipe list to choose from will be impossible to choose from!

B. 

Fine. The next thing is that the yeasts will behave differently at different temperatures and generate different flavor components whenwarm or cool end of their ranges, so this should also affect your choice depending on desired outcome.  e.g. Wheat yeast will tend to make clove flavors at one end and banana flavors at the other end of the range.

Every manufacturer has yeast specifications on their websites, easily found with Google.  Most have ideal ranges also.  S-05 at 65 is perfect.  The datasheet says 53.6 - 77, ideally 59.7 - 71.6.  

• Like 1

On ‎12‎/‎23‎/‎2016 at 11:15 PM, Creeps McLane said:

It is behind the scenes - lol

Latest version, 02282017.  One of the things I did while on "brake" time.

- Filled in more pink cells

- For "Total Time", this is based on an update on Mr. Beer's site.  It is the *minimum* months of time for a beer.  For maximum, add 6 weeks to the second "Conditioning" number.  Or just let the beer sit a while longer.  My plans for this summer is to study and learn more about conditioning, and why some beers take longer than others.

- For "Temperature Range", I'm going to hold on changes.  I *REALLY* want to use the information on the website for Fermentis, but their numbers are much more different than Mr. Beer's recipe numbers.  For example, if you look at Safale S-04, the data sheet at Fermentis says "ideally 59-68F".  Most of Mr. B's recipes say "59-75".  This range is higher for Mr. Beer (I think I know why), and I want to research and study the "what ifs" on being higher for long periods of time.  The issue is NOT just this yeast, but *all* of them.  But I want to learn the what if's and whys on all the yeasts before blindly changing Mr B's recipes....which I probably shouldn't do in the first place.  I also noticed some interesting exceptions, such as the Milk Stouts and Suava Java.  I will study the yeasts and recipes, and determine why there are variances in temp ranges even though it is the same yeast (does Milk Sugar make a difference in temp range?  That's for me to learn).  Not to worry, I'll get it all sorted out.  I love to research and study, and this is one method that I learn.  But, any advise anyone wants to give me (post on this thread or PM me..........I'm welcome to it.

- For "Ideal Temperature", all changes are based on the things like yeast used and total time.  Again, I will research based on info from Fermentis, now that I'm going to use them for info on Temp Range.  But, if I'm wrong somewhere, or anyone has specific comments, please pass word along.

- For "Category/Style", I went with the names and other descriptions of the recipe.  Then I compared this information with info from BJCP.ORG.  If I found a "good" match, I used it.  This might bring discussion as to what was a "good match", and I welcome that.  Please feel free to suggest changes.

- Removed Column Z, which was "Special Instructions".  It's obvious that if you want to make the recipe, you should refer to the web site for instructions (which the link is now the new column Z)

- Switched "Liberty" Hops to "Crystal" Hops, as MRB Josh has informed us that the Liberty won't be used anymore (if this changes, please let me know).  This affected 11 recipes.

At this moment, I'm not pursing this as a online database.  I've contacted the folks at Mr. Beer, and while I did it during peak Helter Skelter season for them, I haven't heard back.  I'm not going to create a web site that isn't linked to their site at the risk of legal reasons.  Also, I can't afford to maintain a web and database server.  I'd be more than happy to do the work needed to add this as a searchable and update-able system on their site, at no charge, but for now this phase of the project will be put on hold.

odaYiniM

MrBeerRecipes.xlsx

Is there anywhere to check recipe ideas to a refill you have on hand? Let's say you have a Octoberfest or a Bewitched... but are looking for ideas is there somewhere you can look up recipes? And not mr.beer.com recipes but ones you can make on your own with items you can get from a regular beer making supply store..?

A method of "submit your own recipe" is a while from now, if realistic.  Too many issues (work is easy....issues to jump over aren't).  For now, best we can do is use this spreadsheet as a base, and do some key-word searching and question asking on this forum.  I have lots of ideas on how to proceed with this project, but for now, I'm not able to do so.

Yea, it's been a while.  Latest/Greatest version of the recipe spreadsheet

Added ChromosBeer, Golden Empire IPA and Thunder Bay IPA
Cleaned a few more pink squares, especially "ideal temp".  Also, those that are Cider only are listed as NA when it comes to Beer Style, since BJCP doesn't do cider only.
Changed the column title Hop Sacks to Muslin Sacks (since they are also used for grains)

Note to @MRB Josh R and @MRB Tim. While updating the spreadsheet, I noticed that Calavera Spice Chile Stout, Suava java Cream Ale, Austin Pils and Salty Dawg Gose don't have the "Mr Beer Partial Mash Recipe" logo.  No big deal, of course.  Just the observance of a fat ole drunk

MrBeerRecipes.xlsx

• Like 1

Shazbat.  Didn't know that.  I'll fix the NA's now, and they will be on the next upload.

BTW, I'm open to either adding to this spreadsheet, or creating a new spreadsheet, with non-Mr. Beer recipes.  Recipes created by us.  Same format as the current sheet, list all details of the ingredients, the temp range/ideal temp, OG/FG/ABV/SRM/IBU, etc.  Instead of Mr. Beer as the "Submitted By", it will be submitted by you.  The key is this.......it must be 100% ingredients that are either sold by Mr. Beer, or bought at the grocery store (such as "zest of an orange", "coriander", "pumpkin puree", etc.  For now (it might change) I'd rather not do grains and/or hops that aren't sold here.  Also the link to the recipe.....I'm guessing either a link to the posting on this forum, or a web page that you created.

The floor is now open for discussions

• Like 1

the office has informed me of some down-time on my position for a few weeks.  I'm still to show up 0630 - 1500, half hour for lunch, but for the most part, I have a lot of.........free time.

what to do.....what to do.....what to do..........

:D

• Like 2

just a few minor changes this time:

1)  Added an Information tab to explain the columns in the spreadsheet.  Changed "Mash" to "Recipe Type"

2)  Added Mr. Beer's recipe Hope To It Blueberry Cider

3)  Removed Black Moon Rising.  The HME (Winter Dark Ale) was a seasonal which is no longer available.  Note Millennium Falconers Flight Red

might meet this fate in the future

4)  Fixed some Ideal Temps.  This includes the Bell Saison yeast based recipes

5)  Added Cooper's recipes.  Yea...minor change.  First version of this tab, more changes on next spreadsheet

- If there was a Mr. Beer recipe equal to a Cooper version (Abbey Double), I didn't create a record.
- If there was a Mr. Beer recipe that was similar to a Cooper recipe (Brew de Ale Ze Bub), I added a new record.  It's usually a hop thing.
- Several of their recipes included the HME Winder Dark Ale.  This is a seasonal which is no longer available, so I didn't add these recipes.
- For Category and Style, I mostly left this blank.  I'll revisit this in the next update, but PLEASE help me fill these in
- More than one Cooper's recipe didn't have an HME.  These are listed as in the new Recipe Type as "No HME"

- Thanks to @MRB Tim for helping me with the DME conversion

- For flavor, if it said low I went malty, for medium I went balanced, and for high I went hoppy
- For FG, I used the higher of their two numbers.  Using this number, the ABV, https://www.brewersfriend.com/abv-calculator/  and some creative thinking, I came up with OG.  If no FG given, OG and FG are red.
- I have no information for SRM or IBU, so please help here too.  I would love a laminated card that I could hold against a glass and come close to the SRM, but I'd need a formula for IBU, as I hate high IBU.
- For hops and grains, I went with Mr. Beer's equivalent amount (one 0.5oz pack instead of 12g pack, etc)
- There are situations where the yeast and/or hops they list on the recipe aren't available on Mr. Beer site.  These are red.  If there is an equivalent on Mr. Beer's site, please let me know and I'll note it, but for now I'm keeping the ingredients listed.
- Another note about hops.  If Cooper said "hops" I added a Muslin Sack, one sack for every 0.5oz.  Some people like to go with sack during boil, some don't.  If you don't want the sack in the boil or dry hop, don't order it.  :-)
- For temp range, I'm going with Mr. Beer's information on the page where they sell yeast. For optimal temp, it's a best guess.
- For yeast that Mr. Beer doesn't sell, I looked it up on the Lallermand's web site
- Condition time is 2-4 weeks, total time is 2 months, for the most part.  As always, comments welcomed, especially if you know how to convert OG

to condition time.

- There is a LOT of red on the spreadsheet now, and some stuff that I think is wrong.  Mostly, the ABV of Cooper's recipes.  I seriously really want some help with this spreadsheet.  If I don't get any help filling in the blanks, I'm going to have to do the drastic thing.  Brew these recipes myself.
- I only added the Craft recipes because they used HMEs available on the Mr. Beer's store.  I can add the other recipes, but we would either

need to find a way to buy Cooper's HMEs or convert the HME to Mr. Beer's HME.  Also, these are 20-23 gallon recipes, so I'll have to add a

column for Recipe Size (2.25 gallon and 6.5 gallon).  To make the larger Cooper's recipes, you'll need this:

https://www.mrbeer.com/brewmax-6g-fermenter

and I get 1% of every sale.  Ha.............Ha.........Ha

6)  Added a Community tab.

While it isn't possible right now to do an online database, that doesn't mean we can't keep a log of our own recipes.  To start it off, I put my recipe "Lost My Way To Munich.  Helles", which was an attempt at Munich Helles with only Mr. Beer products.  I'm welcoming everyone to send to me their recipes.  For now, I'd really prefer to keep recipes with only Mr. Beer products, after all this is a Mr. Beer Recipe spreadsheet. Please send me as much info as you can, including OG/FG/ABV/SRM, etc if you have it.  Also as much instructions as possible, since there isn't a recipe page for your recipes (unless you have one).

7)  Fixed a dumb-butt spelling mistake.  Surprised no one caught it (or no one is reviewing this spreadsheet?)  Yes, there is a difference between Pilsner, and Pilsen malt

Future versions:
 - Correct Temp Range based on yeast and Mr. Beer's information on their store's web site.  Unless there is reason not to do this
 - Fix more missing information
 - Add Coopers 20-23 liter recipes.

MiniYoda..........I think I'll go to Outback for Supper Friday

MrBeerRecipes.xlsx

• Like 5

The more I look at this spreadsheet, the more I over think things.  I need to ask what is hopefully the dumbest question asked today.

Does the amount or type of fermentables amount/type of hops, or the other items in the LBK affect the recommended temp range for yeast, or is the recommended temp range for yeast always as listed on the pack/manufacture's spec sheet? 

4 hours ago, MiniYoda said:

The more I look at this spreadsheet, the more I over think things.  I need to ask what is hopefully the dumbest question asked today.

Does the amount or type of fermentables amount/type of hops, or the other items in the LBK affect the recommended temp range for yeast, or is the recommended temp range for yeast always as listed on the pack/manufacture's spec sheet? 

i am gonna take a stab in the dark and say The recommended temp range for yeast should always be as listed on the yeast pack/manufactures specs.

• Like 3

9 hours ago, MiniYoda said:

The amount of fermentables wont change the range you should ferment at. However, when you get to a certain point you may want to consider a yeast specific for a higher ABV wort

• Like 1

4 hours ago, hotrod3539 said:

i am gonna take a stab in the dark and say The recommended temp range for yeast should always be as listed on the yeast pack/manufactures specs.

That is a good answer, however, some folks like to tweak the yeast contribution by using higher or lower temps. But that is on them.

Maybe first use the Mr Beer/Cooper's recommendation than after that, Yeast manufacturer, then after that any custom special adjustment.

However, the designer of the recipe may specify a yeast and a temperature profile just to get a special taste

FOR COOPER'S YEASTS LOOK HERE:

https://club.coopers.com.au/coopers-forum/topic/7290/

The following explains the ink-jetted code on the yeast sachets, supplied with each beer kit:

Sachets carry a Julian date code and may also carry letters to denote the type of yeast. For example, if they were packaged on the 25th of September 2007 = 268th day of 2007:

Original Series:- Ac (26807)

International Series:-
Australian Pale Ale - Ac+L (26807 Int)
Mexican Cerveza - Ac+L (26807 Int)
European Lager - L (26807 P)
Canadian Blonde - Ac (26807)
English Bitter - Ac (26807)

Thomas Coopers Selection:-
Wheat - A (26807 W)
IPA - Ac (26807 IPA)
Irish Stout - A (26807 IS)
Pilsener - L (26807 P)
Australian Bitter - Ac+L (26807 PS)
Heritage Lager - Ac+L (26807 PS)
Sparkling Ale - Ac+L (26807 PS)
Traditional Draught - Ac+L (26807 PS)

Note:
Ac = Coopers ale yeast (our own strain, not the same as the yeast in our commercial ales, developed in-house and propagated under contract).

A = ale yeast and L = lager yeast (these strains are commercially available dry yeast and their details are held in confidence).

• Like 1

You will see some of the Cooper's yeast packs have both Lager and Ale yeast in them. 

I guess that will guarantee fermentation over a wider temperature range, ensuring greater customer success when lager temperatures (50's F) cannot be achieved and giving the option of the preferred lager fermentation treatment. However at only 7g for 6 gal, it seems they are trending towards the under pitching amount, but  it seems to work for them.

• Like 1

Gee.....no updates in six months, then two in less than one week.  This time, added the three new National Parks recipes, plus a few minor fixes here and there.

Note to Mr Beer folks.  The picture for Hidden Lake Amber shows a DME, but the recipe is calling for an LME.  Just wanted to check and find out which is correct

MrBeerRecipes.xlsx

• Like 1

8 hours ago, MiniYoda said:

Hidden Lake Amber shows a DME, but the recipe is calling for an LME

Working on clarification, thanks for the heads up. 

First update of the year:

- New recipes (up to 199 now)

- Clean up some items to fix duplication and make searches more accurate

MrBeerRecipes.xlsx

• Like 3