Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
Creeps McLane

First wort hopping

Anyone familiar with first wort hopping? I read both all grain and partial mash recipes can do it. It said to add the hops to the mash at the time of sparging but to keep the hops in for the entire boil. I if i add it in my mash tun, then i must have to hop sack it eh? Then thow the sack in my kettle? It also says it creates complex aromas, which seems odd for something im boiling for an hour. If i have a FWH addition, then i must not have a regular bittering addition? Or do i just move 30% of my bittering over to the FWH? 

I've only first wort hoped my all grain IPA recipe. After the mash I drained my first runnings into my boil kettle, added my hops and kept the wort at about 170 while I sparged. I then filled my boil kettle with the sparged wort to proper level, brought to boil and followed hop schedule. 

From what I have read the FWH adds a perceived bitterness buy 1) attaching the oils to the sugars on the first runnings and 2) the latter addition hops do add a level of bitterness so by subtracting >30% you are just moving that bitterness to the beginning. All the flavor and aroma of the FWH is boiled off. 

Just remember to add no more than 30% of your late addition hops (ie 20 minute or less) and typically they should be the lower alpha acid hops. 

Another trick I did was reduce the amount of my 60 minute hop and increased my later addition hops in a stepped fashion: .25oz 60 .50oz 20 1oz 5, 1oz flameout and 1oz dry hop. My final beer has huge aroma and flavor but isn't overpowering on bitterness. 

Your mileage may vary but this is my expierence with first wort hoping. 

I tweaked my recipe a bit. Basically cut every addition in half and added a 40 minute addition. These hops smell amazing. Very excited for tasting day. I'll post my recipe in whatcha brewing when the boil is done. Haven't been excited about a brew like this is quite some time

• Like 1