Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
RIVER

Hacked Root Beer

Ok I tried searching this first but it is time for me to find out. I bottled up my Rootbeer last night and after 24 hours some of the bottles are rock hard and bubbling like crazy. How long have ya'all waited before tossing in the frig to calm these suckers down? The little nips on the caps are already protruding!

i also included a pic of a straight American porter I just cracked.........one word YUM!

RIVER out!

IMG_1206.JPG

IMG_1204.JPG

basically soon as its carbed your ready to throw in the fridge chill and drink... No conditioning needed for the hacked root beer... I liked it...porter looks great...

I didn't have the bottles so I used Dr. Pepper bottles.  They've been sitting at room temp for 2 days.  Probably put them in the fridge tomorrow.

General question about the root beer.  I'm not doing the Hacked Root Beer, just the regular.  Has anyone used glass 12 oz bottles?  I'd much rather do that than the 4 plastic bottles it came with.  That way I have more than just 4, probably closer to 10 or 12. 

Just be careful with carbonation. Carbonate for a week and test one. If carbonated, refrigerate right away and do not bring back to room temps at any time while still sealed in the bottle. If not carbonated, wait a few days and test again. 7-10 days should give full carbonation due to the amount of sugar. But because of the amount of sugar, if you leave them at room temps, they will explode. I NEVER recommend using glass for homemade root beer unless you are force-carbonating with Co2 and filling bottles from a corny keg.

19 minutes ago, Bach's Brews said:

General question about the root beer.  I'm not doing the Hacked Root Beer, just the regular.  Has anyone used glass 12 oz bottles?  I'd much rather do that than the 4 plastic bottles it came with.  That way I have more than just 4, probably closer to 10 or 12. 

Just be careful with carbonation. Carbonate for a week and test one. If carbonated, refrigerate right away and do not bring back to room temps at any time while still sealed in the bottle. If not carbonated, wait a few days and test again. 7-10 days should give full carbonation due to the amount of sugar. But because of the amount of sugar, if you leave them at room temps, they will explode. I NEVER recommend using glass for homemade root beer unless you are force-carbonating with Co2 and filling bottles from a corny keg.

12 minutes ago, MRB Josh R said:

Thanks for the advice!  I thought the bottle bomb might be an issue with the level of sugar.  I might give it a whirl with a few of them and see how it works.  I'll be monitoring them closely.

• Like 1

Like the original post, my bottles are rock hard and its only been one day. You said 7-10 days, but just want to make said sure I don't get a bottle bomb. Haha!