Mr.Beer Community
fryfly

Carbonation and kegs?

I've read in separate threads that if you are kegging your beer and using a CO2 canister to carbonate through a kegerator you don't need to add priming sugar/tabs when placing in keg. Is this true or do I need to use sugar as usual in the keg itself?

I have not used a keg, but the idea is that you let your beer mature a couple of weeks, then the kegerator will add the CO2 while it sits under pressure. No priming sugars needed. 

• Like 1

Well that's the big question then. I plan on letting it sit for atleast 8 weeks (maybe more) before I tap the keg.

Earlier this spring I made 6 gallons of bewitched and it wasn't bad after bottling and leaving sit for 10 weeks, but after a let it sit for 5 months the result was staggering.....literally!

If I really don't need the sugar I would just as soon leave it out. 

Still don't know if I should add or not?

When we keg, we use the CO2 tank to carb. Set it at a lower temp and wait or carb it normally and then unhook the gas and let it mature. I wouldn't mess around with priming sugar if I didn't have to. That's one of the beauties of kegging isn't it???

So if I prime the keg immediately after filling this should also cut time to mature?

what psi do you recommend priming the tank at? I plan on using 3 gallon ball seal tanks

56 minutes ago, fryfly said:

So if I prime the keg immediately after filling this should also cut time to mature?

what psi do you recommend priming the tank at? I plan on using 3 gallon ball seal tanks

http://www.brewersfriend.com/keg-carbonation-calculator/

It all depends on your beer temp. You can carb faster colder otherwise room temp takes longer 

i wouldnt say it cuts down on conditioning time. A 7.5% ale should be aged a bit regardless of how you carb. 

Honestly, if you were making 5% all grain beers then id say force carbing and drinking the next day or so is fine. But itll always taste better matured a bit

• Like 1

I plan on letting it sit a bit at about 55 degrees. The bewitched is near an 8% when done and well worth the wait!

Thanks