Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  

Okay brewmasters, looking for a little advice. I have CAL, Canadian Blonde, and American Lager refills. I also have a golden LME and a pale LME. I also have a few packs of safale 05. Planning my third batch, I want to tinker a little. Thinking the CAL, golden LME, and a half cup of local honey with the safale 05. 3-4-6 for the timeline should have it ready for mid-March. Would like your thoughts on my plan as well as the expected flavor profile.

i really liked this one. I had to condition it for at least 8 weeks but it was good. Ill be back after i put my boy to sleep with more suggestions

• Like 1

Now that i re read this i think your time line is off. Its december, 7

weeks puts you at the beginning of February. Ill just ignore the time line for now

heres what i would do:

CAL + pale LME + 1/2 cup of honey + maybe either cascade or saaz at flameout. Remember that honey adds no real honey taste since its highly fermentable. Basically what youre doing is off setting the sweet natural taste of HME with the dry taste of honey. Its a very good combo in my opinion. People say CAL is junk but i think its quite good doctored up. And worse come to worse if you dont like it, you can send it my way. After all, CAL is junk anyway ?

Is this your first time using 05? I think youll be quite pleased

• Like 1

You can always try a partial mash recipe with the CAL and golden LME. Try a half pound 2 row, quarter pound crystal 10 and quarter pound Carapils steeped at 150 for 30 minutes in a half gallon water. Rinse grains with another half gallon water at 170 then add the golden LME and a half ounce cascade hops and bring to a boil. Flameout, add the CAL, mix well and cool to 60 degrees. Ferment with the US05 for three weeks. Dry hop with a half ounce cascade hops four days. Cold crash for three days and bottle and condition for four weeks. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Creeps McLane said:

Now that i re read this i think your time line is off. Its december, 7

weeks puts you at the beginning of February. Ill just ignore the time line for now

heres what i would do:

CAL + pale LME + 1/2 cup of honey + maybe either cascade or saaz at flameout. Remember that honey adds no real honey taste since its highly fermentable. Basically what youre doing is off setting the sweet natural taste of HME with the dry taste of honey. Its a very good combo in my opinion. People say CAL is junk but i think its quite good doctored up. And worse come to worse if you dont like it, you can send it my way. After all, CAL is junk anyway ?

Is this your first time using 05? I think youll be quite pleased

I agree with Creeps. Fairly simple recipe. In the future you could maybe steep some grains with it. CALs are a good HME to play around with. Most importantly, Have Fun!

• Like 2

I do a CAL with a pale Lme. With 2 ounce of 2 row and 2 ounces of carapils and 1 ounce of honey malt with the safale 5 yeast and some oranges.. I like it... As said before the CAL is a really good one to play around with.. Good luck in sure it'll be good no matter which way you go... ?

• Like 2

10 hours ago, John K. said:

I agree with Creeps. Fairly simple recipe. In the future you could maybe steep some grains with it. CALs are a good HME to play around with. Most importantly, Have Fun!

I agree, just adding the extra pale malt (CAL Deluxe) and hopping with 1/2 oz Citra is real nice.

• Like 1

if u gotta have the honey flavor, add 1 oz. of honey malt grain that is if you're doing a partial mash

I appreciate the advice from everyone. I don't feel ready for a partial mash as this will be my third brew. My main reason for adding honey was more fermentables, the dryness is a bonus. I think I will try the recipe Creeps suggested; CAL, pale LME, 1 cup of honey (I like a drier beer), and I may try saaz to see if I can replicate a pilsner. I have used the 05 yeast for my Oktoberfest and liked the result. Kolsch has become my favorite summer beer style so I will be trying to brew one of those in the February/March timeframe.

• Like 4

13 hours ago, Old Snipe said:

Kolsch has become my favorite summer beer style

love the summer Kolsch!!!

• Like 1