Mr.Beer Community
fathead5f

Zombie fest question

Hey All, 

I brewed zombie fest awhile ago, was ready for consumption on Thanksgiving. It has an amazing flavor, but I noticed with the 4 bottles I've drank so far, that head retention is lacking. it's like pouring a can of coke. I get the head for about 30 seconds then it goes away. the beer is very carbonated. is this normal? not a big deal, but would like to know my mistakes if there are any.

Thank you

Head retention is often lacking on the HMEs.  One solution is to either add an LME Golden from Mr. Beer (wheat LME), or to steep 4 oz of Carapils or Carafoam.  

• Like 1

I've had this happen on a few batches, especially lager recipes.  Try dropping a chop stick in the poured beer.  The cellulose fibers give the carbon dioxide a million nucleation points and you will have a nice, long-lasting head on that beer in no time.  Here are some pictures that I took earlier this week.  The first shot is a fairly aggressive pour of my Dark Wheat Lager.  The next shot speaks for itself.  Try it!?

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

• Like 4

Thanks guys I will try both. like I said not a huge deal but for next time, just wanted to learn from my mistake if there was one.  

Cheers

• Like 1

On ‎12‎/‎8‎/‎2016 at 9:21 AM, Bonsai & Brew said:

I've had this happen on a few batches, especially lager recipes.  Try dropping a chop stick in the poured beer.  The cellulose fibers give the carbon dioxide a million nucleation points and you will have a nice, long-lasting head on that beer in no time.  Here are some pictures that I took earlier this week.  The first shot is a fairly aggressive pour of my Dark Wheat Lager.  The next shot speaks for itself.  Try it!?

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

I tried this last night on my lame head but tasty Porter and it worked out wonderful.

• Like 2

@Bonsai & Brew thanks for the great tip. I brewed the Zombiefest (my first lager) and noticed the same weak carbonation/head. It makes me wonder if those glasses with the laser etching at the bottom (like B-Dubs) would also help head formation?

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Big Sarge said:

@Bonsai & Brew thanks for the great tip. I brewed the Zombiefest (my first lager) and noticed the same weak carbonation/head. It makes me wonder if those glasses with the laser etching at the bottom (like B-Dubs) would also help head formation?

Thanks Sarge.  After serendipitously discovering this trick about a month ago, I've researched nucleation and found many references to the etched beer glass.  Apparently, Sam Adams started it, then got Buffalo Wild Wings to use them to sell more Boston Lager!  I don't know if that's how it all went down, but the etchings definitely work in the same way.  I like the simplicity of the chop stick though -- instant widget!?

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Bonsai & Brew said:

Thanks Sarge.  After serendipitously discovering this trick about a month ago, I've researched nucleation and found many references to the etched beer glass.  Apparently, Sam Adams started it, then got Buffalo Wild Wings to use them to sell more Boston Lager!  I don't know if that's how it all went down, but the etchings definitely work in the same way.  I like the simplicity of the chop stick though -- instant widget!?

I'm just afraid I would stab myself in the eye with it! :lol:

• Like 1

On ‎12‎/‎8‎/‎2016 at 8:34 AM, fathead5f said:

Hey All, 

I brewed zombie fest awhile ago, was ready for consumption on Thanksgiving. It has an amazing flavor, but I noticed with the 4 bottles I've drank so far, that head retention is lacking. it's like pouring a can of coke. I get the head for about 30 seconds then it goes away. the beer is very carbonated. is this normal? not a big deal, but would like to know my mistakes if there are any.

Thank you

Direct from Nick's Bad Advice Column.  (Do NOT do this....)

The biggest thing is that you need to use LOTS of SOAP when washing out the bottles and don't rinse them. You can even squirt a bit extra in. If you use enough soap, you will get a billowy persistent head. This is what they call a CLEAN tasting beer. The art in this is picking a soap with a suitable aroma to augment the hops.

***************************************************************************************

Seriously though , small amounts of residual soap anyplace in the process can reduce the beer head persistence.  Rinse, Rinse, Rinse - or don't use soap.

• Like 1