Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
AnthonyC

Sugar Calculator

I want to bottle prime in 12oz bottles using corn sugar because that's all that I have on hand.  I have seen the calculator for gallons of beer, but nothing in ounces AND my math skills are not so good.  Can anyone telll me the amount (in teaspoons) that I will need per 12oz bottle for an IPA?  Thanks in advance!!  ?

Every calculator I've found is for gallons.. Thought the Mr beer measuring spoon was for twelve ounce bottles and the 750 mil ,,,,

AC,

You can use .09375 as the amount in those calculators.  That is the amount in gallons of a 12 oz bottle. 

That amount gives a corn sugar amount of .48 tsp.  That is 2.5 vols at 68 degrees.

• Like 3

50 minutes ago, Stroomer420 said:

hey ant you dont batch prime?

I do Stroom, but this is a 2g recipe in an LBK.  For me it's just as easier to bottle prime LBK recipes.  I've already cold crashed this one and I don't want to slop it all up.  

I use the sugar dots at 0.5 tsp. It is effectively about 10% higher than corn sugar, but probably close enough for the ease of use.

Not so convenient for other styles if you want different volumes but I compromise on style.

You have to turn them the right way  (not a perfect cube) and push a bit but they go into the 12 oz. ok.

42 minutes ago, BDawg62 said:

AC,

You can use .09375 as the amount in those calculators.  That is the amount in gallons of a 12 oz bottle. 

That amount gives a corn sugar amount of .48 tsp.  That is 2.5 vols at 68 degrees.

Perfect!!!   Thanks BDawg!  I'll do a solid 1/2 tsp.  This stuff is probably closer to 40 degrees coming out of the fridge.

45 minutes ago, Stroomer420 said:

Every calculator I've found is for gallons.. Thought the Mr beer measuring spoon was for twelve ounce bottles and the 750 mil ,,,,

Same here & my math skills... pfft!  That's why I teach ELA.  ?

4 minutes ago, Nickfixit said:

I use the sugar dots at 0.5 tsp. It is effectively about 10% higher than corn sugar, but probably close enough for the ease of use.

Not so convenient for other styles if you want different volumes but I compromise on style.

This is a "basic" IPA; a Sweet Orange Juniper Berry.  I'm going with what you and BDawg recommended (.5tsp).  Thanks guys!

10 minutes ago, AnthonyC said:

Same here & my math skills... pfft!  That's why I teach ELA.  ?

I am in the logistics industry, math is a must.

I batch prime all my LBK recipes,I just figure the temp of it from before I cold crash,I still got a lot to learn but so far all my beers have been carbed just to my liking...finally got a digital scale for Christmas that's gonna help alot with everything,that old school hand scale like my mom used in the sixties is good but hard to read lol...

• Like 1

@AnthonyC I believe the screwy brewer bottle priming calculator allows you to change the volumes of the beer to be carbonated, as well as the sugar amounts (by sugar variety), for future reference. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Big Sarge said:

@AnthonyC I believe the screwy brewer bottle priming calculator allows you to change the volumes of the beer to be carbonated, as well as the sugar amounts (by sugar variety), for future reference. 

Thanks Sarge!  I will look that up.  

• Like 1

A little late here, but I second the Sarge's recommendation of the Screwy Brewer calculator for bottle priming.  Very useful indeed.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, MichaelL said:

A little late here, but I second the Sarge's recommendation of the Screwy Brewer calculator for bottle priming.  Very useful indeed.

It works well for batch priming, too!

• Like 1

I find Screwy Brewer's calculator and recommendations are spot on. Lots of great info too.

• Like 4