Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
andy73

black ipa with mr. beer

38 minutes ago, andy73 said:

looking to make a black ipa from scratch with mr. beer need some ideas.

Winter dark ale

I would just do an ipa refill and add a lb of dark dme. Cant think of a more simple way. Not sure on your skill level yet. Obviously steeping grains would be nice too

I've been meaning to try the Gila Monster Black IPA!

I have a can of Diablo IPA so maybe I just need to order the stuff from the rest of that recipe!

I've made several batches of just the extracts, several with added LMEs (Porter and Stout), one with a dry hop bag (Novocaine - just bottled).  One with an added ingredient (Vodoo that you do red Ale with added cup brown sugar).  

I like expanding the brews beyond the extracts now so I can keep learning.

For Christmas I got a Surly Dog IPA recipe (adds LME, hop bag and honey), and a Klondike Blonde ( I think this one adds LME and booster).  These are a little more involved so I am looking forward to trying them.  Plus these will be my first lighter colored beers since the original classic light I made a few months back.

Down to my last bottle of a Black IPA I made using Diablo HME, 1 oz of Centennial hops, and 4 oz each of Black Malt and Caapils  (wanted to use 1/2 lb of Amber DME for a bit of additional kick and color but spaced it during brewing ... next time for sure!).  Came out very well and I'm looking to make it again sometime, probably replacing the Centennial hops with Cascade.

The Gila Monster looks like something I might want to try sometime.  Have everything on hand except the hops ... tempting, indeed!

• Like 1

On 12/29/2016 at 5:11 PM, KaijuBrew said:

Vodoo that you do

Believe the reviews when they say to let it sit.  I brewed a batch after reading the reviews.  I did the same thing everyone else did - I waited.  A little bit.  I waited a month for the first bottle.  Good!  A month later - great!  A couple of months later - even better!  Finally down to one bottle, I decided to leave it till the one year mark.  Had I known how good it would be, I would have left the entire batch.  I need to brew two more batches so I can drink one along and one to leave alone for a year to start drinking.

• Like 3