Mr.Beer Community
greg_herr

Can I let the beer sit and fermentate an extra week?

So I'm kinda new again... It's been a couple of years since I brewed a Mr Beer batch. I just brewed and pitched a recipe that calls for 14 days of fermentation, but as luck would have it I just had to scheduled a business trip at day 14. Can the beer sit in the keg for an additional week or would that mess everything up. I think I remember doing a batch that called for 14 days, but folks said go 21.

Appreciate the feed back!

Greg

I generally do them all for 3 weeks, that way I am pretty sure without measuring the unfermented sugar content that it is fermented out.

If you are too hurried with it, it may not be finished then you get extra fermentation ----> carbonation in the bottles that you did not expect.  

Then you can expect the bottles to gush foam when opened at best or to maybe burst and dump contents over the room at worst.

Neither of these is really desirable :lol:.

• Like 1

I let every beer i make go 3 weeks. Unless I brewed it late and needed it for new years. In which case i kept an eye on the Gravity.

12 hours ago, Ron Howard Dawson said:

Yes Greg. Go 3 weeks. We all do!

Is that the screwy brewer back from the dead?

Haha....rumors of my demise have been grossly overstated.

It has been a while and apparently I now have logged in with my original account. Hope everyone has been well and looking forward to the new year.

• Like 2

Welcome to the Forum. As already stated, 3 weeks is great. If you have a hydrometer, learn how to use it on subsequent brews, as it will help you judge the degree of fermentation at any one point and the beer's alcohol content at the end. Keep an eye on the temperature while the beer is fermenting, as most find the lower end produces a better beer. Lastly, don't rush the conditioning. Yes it is tempting, but give your beer a month to mature. Good luck and welcome again.

Thanks for all the input! Looks like I don't need to rush anything and don't need to stress while out of town. As a side note I recently purchased the Kegaroo... Any good videos showing proper kegging procedures? I think the reason I fell off before was that I would do three batches at a time and bottling day was just that... a whole day! So I'm looking forward to kegging.