Mr.Beer Community

It has arrived. Need to get some distilled water to calibrate before taking a gravity reading of my Irish red. Might as well compare the reading to my hydrometer to see if there is a difference. I'm brewing at my cousin's Saturday so I have another opportunity to compare readings. 

IMG_20170105_192152.jpg

• Like 7

love mine.  Very easy to use.  Let us know how it compares to the hydrometer

• Like 1

One of the best investments that I made especially when dealing with 2 gallon batches. 

Great investment, I don't even use my hydrometer most of the time now., I still double check with about every third or fourth batch.  I did however do side by side readings for a little while until I got to know how accurate mine was.  I use the refractometer tool in Beersmith to calculate my readings since it has a calibration tab that figures the needed adjustment.  Mine is dead on with unfermented wort and -.002 with fermented wort.  In my mind that is close enough and I can just adjust my number for FG to +.002 and get the correct number.  In any case, how many of us can really get much closer than that with a hydrometer.

So much easier and quick to get good readings.  Also uses very little of your precious beer.

I loved mine when I first got it.  Can't say the last time I used it... maybe its time to dust it off and put it back to work.  :)

The instruction slip that came with it was lacking in after use cleaning. What's the best way to clean the collection chamber?

4 minutes ago, sabres032 said:

The instruction slip that came with it was lacking in after use cleaning. What's the best way to clean the collection chamber?

I just wipe it down with a clean, damp rag.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, MRB Josh R said:

I just wipe it down with a clean, damp rag.

Will there be any issues from scratches? 

Sorry, haven't had much time to search the interwebz, tad by busy at work. 

1 minute ago, sabres032 said:

Will there be any issues from scratches? 

Sorry, haven't had much time to search the interwebz, tad by busy at work. 

depends on how coarse the rag is.  Most wash cloths are very soft.

• Like 1

I've never had issues. It's just glass and plastic. Just use a regular cotton cloth. As long as you're not using steel wool or sandpaper, you should be fine. :)

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, RickBeer said:

Wait, what?  Can't use steel wool or sandpaper?  Sheesh!

That's news to me. I did so that the wort wouldn't just roll off. The surface was just too smooth and the liquid wouldn't stay. 

• Like 3

16 minutes ago, efdbrian said:

That's news to me. I did so that the wort wouldn't just roll off. The surface was just too smooth and the liquid wouldn't stay. 

??Witty

Brewing with my cousin today and taking first runnings reading and pre boil gravity reqdings, compared to his hydrometer and we've been consistent at 0.002 differenve. The refractometer is reading lower. I'm happy with those numbers. 

• Like 1

I use my refractometer on brew day and my hydrometer on bottling day.  I did what you did and compared the two on brew day.  It was off by so little (and was it really? - the hydrometer is harder to read) that I use the refractometer only on brew day.

• Like 2