Mr.Beer Community
Pip

Stout ideas

Hey guys I have an extra can of st Patrick lying around, a booster, 1 ounce of golding hops and a bag of cocoa nibs.

any ideas of what else to use to make this stout awesome? I was thinking lactose sugar and chocolate malt. Also what type of yeast should I use?

the recipe spreadsheet had one entry for the Irish Stout and Golden hops, which was Slap Hoppy, but you'll need Northern Brewer hops as well, plus a robust LME

Angry Bovine, Barley's Chocolate Orange, Dark Forest and Ole Mole Stout all use the Irish Stout and cocoa, but again, you'll have to buy stuff to make the exact recipe

• Like 1

Would it be okay to substitute the lme for chocolate malt in the bovine milk stout?

Robust LME is going to give you the characteristics that Chocolate malt would give but will also increase the ABV more than what Chocolate malt would do. 

If you already have to go the your LHBS to get the lactose, you might as well pick up 4 oz of Chocolate malt and steep it as well.

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, BDawg62 said:

Robust LME is going to give you the characteristics that Chocolate malt would give but will also increase the ABV more than what Chocolate malt would do. 

If you already have to go the your LHBS to get the lactose, you might as well pick up 4 oz of Chocolate malt and steep it as well.

Yep. Especially since it will be under a buck. 

• Like 1

Thanks guys! Went with the chocolate malt since it is way cheaper. I already have a booster so that'll make up for the abv difference :)