Mr.Beer Community

Hi all

was wondering I just made my first batch so it will not be ready for a month, My Wife surprised me and came home with the LBK this weekend. I love Beer and Over the years been drinking my buddies beer who homebrews everything and makes a killer German beer, I just started with my first American Lager with the Kit. I know I will be hooked so already ordered the Diablo and Oktoberfest refills.

My question is I followed all the steps and made sure to tighten the spigot just a tad over hand tighten, I noticed a small drop after all the Test leaks were done and I had my batch into the fermenter is this something to worry about? I know I will be keeping a close eye on it since I have it in a closet which keeps temp and is total darkness.

Just Curious

• Like 1

Too late anyway, but will likely seal itself.  

In the future, fill with water and let sit 15 min to check for leaks, then empty and sanitize.

• Like 3

Ok thank you I did the test times and everything was Dry then I sanitized then did the brewing steps. I have a feeling I hit the spigot tap while carrying it from my table to the closet, But after reading another Post I maybe moving it somewhere else even tho I know the closet will keep the temp required.

Welcome to the forums, Mike.  A little off topic, but you should pick up a few more LBK's unless you like staggering & waiting for your stock...  I don't!  I agree with Rick on the leak.  The sticky ole HME will end up sealing a small leak.  I would wipe up wherever it is your drip is ending up.  It's like a free meal for bugs and mice.  Good luck with your brew!  :)

• Like 1

just checked it and it is leak free I think I bumped it while transferring and Thank you for the Welcome, I am planning on it but I would like to see how my first batch comes out and get the Flavor and Taste I am used to Store bought beers I drink Yuengling and like that color, Dogfish IPA 60, Yards, Warsteiner so trying to stay near those colors and hoppy flavors, I never liked Dark Beers

23 minutes ago, bikermedic108 said:

I never liked Dark Beers

Commie.  We will still let you on the forum... 

• Like 4

27 minutes ago, bikermedic108 said:

just checked it and it is leak free I think I bumped it while transferring and Thank you for the Welcome, I am planning on it but I would like to see how my first batch comes out and get the Flavor and Taste I am used to Store bought beers I drink Yuengling and like that color, Dogfish IPA 60, Yards, Warsteiner so trying to stay near those colors and hoppy flavors, I never liked Dark Beers

try the powerful patriot ale recipe if you like yuengling... Pretty close

• Like 3

1 hour ago, bikermedic108 said:

I never liked Dark Beers

Get him!

Just kidding. Welcome to the forum. 

• Like 3

I never liked Dark Beers

15 minutes ago, gophers6 said:

Get him!

Just kidding. Welcome to the forum. 

torch and pitchfork.png

Kidding!! Welcome to your new obsess....i mean hobby!

• Like 4

Lol sorry Guys I have Tried the Guiness and all but Motor oil looking beer does not sit well with me, yes I used Yeungling as an example but I like Hoppy beers that are also close to that Color, Yes I am new and I want to learn, I would like to do what my budy did who has made home brewed beer for years plus home brewed shine and Pipe it from my basement bar when it is done to my kitchen so I do not have to walk far. that is why I threw out the other types of flavors I have tried like Dogfish from Delaware and my buddies beer he makes, to a few other local micro brews. A bunch of Medics I work with have their own micro brew in Chester county and they started like me at home with a beginners kit I also make my own homemade hot sauces :) but I can see the beer making will take over

• Like 2

I did order Oktoberfest and Diablo and looking at some Recipes I want to try and make my own taste, Yes I know as time comes I will need 1 or more lbk's before I move up to the 5 g buckets but with my work and all i think the lbk is my best bet make it and let it do its thing, but on top of that order I Know I will need to order more carb tablets cause with the 740ml bottles it takes two a bottle and I hope they gave me enough in my first kit, I would rather use what they suggest and all, I have done my homework for years and I have finally taken the plunge. I am also looking for some good recipes from others here, on what worked and did not work.

BikerMedic108aka Larry

9 hours ago, bikermedic108 said:

A bunch of Medics I work with have their own micro brew in Chester county and they started like me at home with a beginners kit I also make my own homemade hot sauces :) but I can see the beer making will take over

@bikermedic108 Welcome! I figured you must be a fellow Pennsylvanian when you talked about Yuengling. I'm near Hershey. 17 years in volunteer fire/EMS and a fellow biker. I've been meaning to make a brewery trip to the Chester / Philly area. What's the name of the micro brewery your fellow medics opened? I'll make sure it's on my list.

13 hours ago, bikermedic108 said:

I never liked Dark Beers

Oh Padawan, don't be afraid of the dark side.  Guinness is not the only example of a dark beer.  Try a 1554 Lager from New Belgium or a good English Dark Mild.  And never count out the caramel sweetness and light hop flavor of a good Belgian Quad, Trappist Rochefort 10 will literally knock your socks off.  And this just scratches the surface.

And the great thing is now you can learn to brew them all.

Welcome to the obsession

• Like 2

11 hours ago, efdbrian said:

@bikermedic108 Welcome! I figured you must be a fellow Pennsylvanian when you talked about Yuengling. I'm near Hershey. 17 years in volunteer fire/EMS and a fellow biker. I've been meaning to make a brewery trip to the Chester / Philly area. What's the name of the micro brewery your fellow medics opened? I'll make sure it's on my list.

Howdy @efdbrian

They are only Open on the Weekends for now and do a pretty good business for now just being opened on the weekend. It is Actually a Bunch of Medic's From Trappe Fire/Ems plus they are also their own House Band. I have been in the Fre/Ems Biz for 29 yrs if I would of Went to Philly when I was younger I could of been retired by now.

thanks for all the other Suggestions I will be looking into them for future brews. Who knows If my budies like my beer maybe they will add it to their Beer Menu  at the Pub.

The Bar is Located in

Highlights info row imageTuned Up Brewing Company
135 N Main Street

Doing Happy dance My 2 new recipes will be here tomorrow guess I need to get that extra lbk sooner then later

Well Round 1 is Bottled and going to sit for a few weeks and condition. I been busy at work so I gave it an Extra week to ferment, I did not get any fruity taste and it tasted like flat beer when I did my testing so Temps were all good and I could even taste a little kick even though it is the American Lager batch. I think I will be ordering another set of Bottle's Cause next week I want to Start my Diablo batch.  Will let everyone one know how my first batch tasted after conditioning

Larry

• Like 2

Well Round 1 is Bottled and going to sit for a few weeks and condition. I been busy at work so I gave it an Extra week to ferment, I did not get any fruity taste and it tasted like flat beer when I did my testing so Temps were all good and I could even taste a little kick even though it is the American Lager batch. I think I will be ordering another set of Bottle's Cause next week I want to Start my Diablo batch.  Will let everyone one know how my first batch tasted after conditioning

Larry

Man 1 week so far in Bottling stage and I am holding back from the Temptation of putting one in the Fridge that teaser taste test was good but I need to wait longer next batch of Brew is fermenting now

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, bikermedic108 said:

Larry

Man 1 week so far in Bottling stage and I am holding back from the Temptation of putting one in the Fridge that teaser taste test was good but I need to wait longer next batch of Brew is fermenting now

I say throw one in the fridge and try it.....? ... Ya know for science..... Learning why to wait kinda thing ,,,,ya that's it.....?

• Like 2

7 hours ago, bikermedic108 said:

Larry

Next time you bottle, use your last one (the one that will inevitably have trub in it) and use that as your tweaker-can't-wait-bottle.  Just make sure you pour carefully and only use about 3/4 of the bottle otherwise your gastrointestinal system will punish you for your iniquity!  

• Like 2

1 hour ago, AnthonyC said:

Next time you bottle, use your last one (the one that will inevitably have trub in it) and use that as your tweaker-can't-wait-bottle.  Just make sure you pour carefully and only use about 3/4 of the bottle otherwise your gastrointestinal system will punish you for your iniquity!  

Its like immediate release!!!!! hahahahaha

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, RIVER said:

Its like immediate release!!!!! hahahahaha

I haven't experienced it b/c I've heeded the warnings from home brewers on the forum, but I can't picture it being any more fun than last year's pre-colonoscopy ritual.  ? 

• Like 1

Larry

thanks all I am holding back and I scored today while out shopping we stopped at this outlet store low and behold I found mrbeer Full kits for a decent price nasically bought 2 full deluxe kits for the price of one so I am up to 3 and ready to rock and roll

• Like 2

14 hours ago, AnthonyC said:

I know which bottle that is also that was Lucky bottle 11 with the trub in it but I am going to do it the correct way and wait, after tomorrow I will have 2 more lbk's in the fermenting stage since I have 22 more bottles to my collection, after scoring today I have 2 more american Lager refills so looking at adding some hops and all with some recipes I saw last night while looking over the store

Tonight will be my First Drink of my homebrew I can not wait, After a hell weekend at work and other news I did not need to get but on the plus side I will have 12 weeks to come up with some recipes and try my own. Can't wait I would crack one open now but I have to many errands to run

• Like 5

Ok first Bottle Popped open and I finally made Beer , For an American Lager with nothing added I actually like it but next batch I think I may add some hops to it for a little more punch and I have a few booster kits I like higher ABV%

Homebrew1_zpsfnkmd0su.jpg

Goes Great with Deer Tenderloins

IMG_3320_zpsjbcrukcj.jpg

• Like 2

39 minutes ago, bikermedic108 said:

Ok first Bottle Popped open and I finally made Beer , For an American Lager with nothing added I actually like it but next batch I think I may add some hops to it for a little more punch and I have a few booster kits I like higher ABV%

IMG_3320_zpsjbcrukcj.jpg

Congtrats on a fine looking beer, and many more to come.

IMG_3320_zpsjbcrukcj.jpg

looks good.... Deer tenderloins.. Yummmm

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, hotrod3539 said:

Well done @bikermedic108! I pop open my first tomorrow....

Happy Drinking I have 5 bottles left and a long weekend ahead of me so I guess I need some store bought crap to hold me over til then

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, dale hihn said:

Congrats! Manly men make their own beer and eat venison!!

Thanks that meat came from a  fresh 60lb doe Road killl with a neck snapped all the meat was Prestine

• Like 2

Adding aroma hops is not going to add anything but aroma.  Try the Craft Series or Seasonals.

My question about hops I have 6 Columbus hop packets now the one question I have i Know it is person's choice I was thinking of using the Columbus Hops in place of the nugget hops for the IPA recipe I want to do now will the screw it up? or make it more hoppier , I have booster packs also and a Robust Pack which I am going to mess around with, just looking for ideals

Sad Part is I just finished my first round of lbk beer and I have lbk kegs now so want to try new things

Hoppier?  Replacing one hop with another won't make it hoppier.

I suggest you read about Nugget hops and Columbus Hops and learn what each does for AROMA, because that is the only thing you get from adding them during fermentation.  https://ychhops.com/varieties

If you have only brewed once, "messing around" is highly discouraged, the leading reason most people quit the hobby.  Follow the recipes.  See what they make before you change something, then compare.

• Like 2

@rickbeer

thank you for the information and I think i will take your advice I am starting my new rounds of beer today so I can at least have some homebrew for my birthday in April. I know I am new to this and want to learn and try new things I been hanging around with a budy of mine who has been brewing for years and been picking other guys brains at work on ideal's.

• Like 1

On ‎2‎/‎25‎/‎2017 at 3:11 AM, RickBeer said:

Hoppier?  Replacing one hop with another won't make it hoppier.

Assuming use of the same amount, it could if you exchanged a low AA% for a high AA% hop... such as Cascade at 6%AA vs Citra at 13%AA. You will certainly notice a difference.  :)

6 minutes ago, RickBeer said:

As a dry hop?  ;)

I apologize, I didn't see the words "Dry Hop" in the OP post (still don't - but I don't know that recipe either, I read it as an IPA recipe, not 'the' ipa recipe). 

all this info is really good I been trying to catch up on the forums in other area's and all, oh I know when I first came here I said I did not like Dark beers I found one the other day at a local beer store taste tested it and ended up buy a 32oz growler of it

• Like 3