Mr.Beer Community
Teambanzai

Yeasterday, all my troubles were so far away...

Okay, 

So it's been a couple years since I have made anything with my Mr Beer kit (life took me on a long journey).  But this weekend I got out the kit, sanitized it and brew a Cowboy Lager / Creamy Brown blend.  Before I started I checked the yeast viability, at least I think I did.  I took 3 Mr Beer yeast packets and put them in some warm sugar water... 1.5 hours later they are bubbly away nicely so I feel they are pretty good to use, even old.  When I say bubbling, there was lots of action.    So I made the beer, cooled it, pitched the yeast, and now It doesn't seem like there is really that much action going on in the keg.  So this leads me to a couple questions.

1 - How long does it take for trub to form in the bottom of the LBK and can you see it from the outside?

2 - Is it possible to OVER-yeast beer?  I am less than a mile from a beer supply shop so I could go get fresher yeast and add it in.  (It was closed on the day I brewed)

Thanks

• Like 1

I would say just leave it. This will not be the best beer you will ever brew, just to warn you. I would say if you dont see any trub or bubbles in 2-3 days then you should be concerned. Im not concerned for you, but then again its not my brew

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Teambanzai said:

Okay, 

So it's been a couple years since I have made anything with my Mr Beer kit (life took me on a long journey).  But this weekend I got out the kit, sanitized it and brew a Cowboy Lager / Creamy Brown blend.  Before I started I checked the yeast viability, at least I think I did.  I took 3 Mr Beer yeast packets and put them in some warm sugar water... 1.5 hours later they are bubbly away nicely so I feel they are pretty good to use, even old.  When I say bubbling, there was lots of action.    So I made the beer, cooled it, pitched the yeast, and now It doesn't seem like there is really that much action going on in the keg.  So this leads me to a couple questions.

1 - How long does it take for trub to form in the bottom of the LBK and can you see it from the outside?

2 - Is it possible to OVER-yeast beer?  I am less than a mile from a beer supply shop so I could go get fresher yeast and add it in.  (It was closed on the day I brewed)

Thanks

welcome back....?

• Like 1

There are some bubbles on the top, it is a thin layer, just thinner than I remember from the past brewings.

So what is so bad about old cans of extract?

I brewed my first batch in exactly a year on the 2nd.  The yeast has been in the fridge since I got it over a year ago.  I was worried that it was 'flicted and wouldn't work.  First day, no real krausen.  By the second day, it was there, great smells were emanating from the LBK's, and a day or so later, I saw trub on the bottom of both of them.  I pitched a packet in each LBK, so I think I'll be good, but I'll use fresh yeast from now on.

The comment on the extract is that the flavor might not be (won't be?) as good and you might (will?) lose some body/mouthfeel.  The HME/LME's tend not to impart all the "grainy" qualities when they are very old.  And the Cowboy Lager is from back in the day...

31 minutes ago, Teambanzai said:

There are some bubbles on the top, it is a thin layer, just thinner than I remember from the past brewings.

So what is so bad about old cans of extract?

They tend to be sweeter. I have an expired can of winter dark ale and no matter what ill throw some honey in that batch and maybe even some saison yeast.... cascadian saison?