Jump to content
Mr.Beer Community
JoshR

NEW HOPS!!!

Recommended Posts

And before anyone asks, yes, we are still searching for the elusive Citra hop. Unfortunately, it is very difficult to acquire at this time.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm loving it @MRB Josh R, but you gotta give us forum faithful a heads up, especially after most of us took part in the weekend sale. 

I guess I'll still buy hops from you guys though...

:P

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Big Sarge said:

I'm loving it @MRB Josh R, but you gotta give us forum faithful a heads up, especially after most of us took part in the weekend sale. 

I guess I'll still buy hops from you guys though...

:P

 

Unfortunately, we didn't get them up on the site until today. We packaged them here and shipped them to our WI warehouse so they wouldn't have been up in time for the sale anyway. But, as usual, we will have many more sales in the coming weeks. Stay tuned... ;)

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, MRB Josh R said:

 

Unfortunately, we didn't get them up on the site until today. We packaged them here and shipped them to our WI warehouse so they wouldn't have been up in time for the sale anyway. But, as usual, we will have many more sales in the coming weeks. Stay tuned... ;)

So, what you're saying is that I need to come visit you guys in Tucson to get ahead? I'm making that my mission to one day stop by; my mom lives in Tucson. Just make sure you don't lock the doors when you see me walking up. ;)

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

By the way, one of our local breweries (Dragoon) does a beer called the "Unihopper IPA". It has a different hop in every batch. Their current batch has the Ekuanot hop in it, and is one of my favorites, so far. It's a very interesting hop strain. It starts off tropical and kind of piney, but then it finishes with this fresh green pepper flavor (almost like bell pepper). It was my first time trying that hop and I'm very excited to work with it in the future. I think it will compliment any chili beer well, too. But I'm thinking about maybe doing a saison with it. I haven't quite decided yet as it seems like it will be very versatile. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, cisco said:

Anyway you can get the Enigma hop? I noticed this recipe on the Coopers website. 

 

http://store.coopers.com.au/recipes/index/view/id/139/

 

 

 

 

@MRB Tim, can you see if any of our distributors have this? If not, we might be able to source it through Coopers in AU, but only if they have it in pellet form.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, MRB Josh R said:

 

Unfortunately, we didn't get them up on the site until today. We packaged them here and shipped them to our WI warehouse so they wouldn't have been up in time for the sale anyway. But, as usual, we will have many more sales in the coming weeks. Stay tuned... ;)

 

Did I read this right?  You have a warehouse in Wisconsin?! Where in WI?  No wonder my shipments come quick! Haha!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Bach's Brews said:

 

Did I read this right?  You have a warehouse in Wisconsin?! Where in WI?  No wonder my shipments come quick! Haha!

 

Yes, our main warehouse is in Racine, WI.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, MRB Josh R said:

 

Yes, our main warehouse is in Racine, WI.

I appreciate that too. I always get my stuff super fast

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, MRB Tim said:

 

 

I'll be happy to look for Enigma hops, everyone please feel free to tag me in any requests for other varieties.

 

Can you get any bunny hops?  

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm sure people would like some sock hops if you can order them also Tim.  

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
42 minutes ago, MRB Josh R said:

, see what you started? lol

 

FINE THEN GUYS I GUESS I'LL JUST DO EVERYTHING MYSELF

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, MRB Tim said:

 

 

I'll be happy to look for Enigma hops, everyone please feel free to tag me in any requests for other varieties.

 

Could you explain this more?   

 

Definition of enigma

  1. 1:  an obscure speech or writing

  2. 2:  something hard to understand or explain

  3. 3:  an inscrutable or mysterious person

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My experience has been SIMCOE is INTENSE pine.

Mandarina Bavaria is great in mandarin orange wheat, especially teamed with Amarillo which gave me an orange flavor to back it up.

 

Did not try the others.

 

Citra is intense grapefruit. 0.5 oz really livens up the CAL.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, Nickfixit said:

My experience has been SIMCOE is INTENSE pine.

Mandarina Bavaria is great in mandarin orange wheat, especially teamed with Amarillo which gave me an orange flavor to back it up.

 

Did not try the others.

 

Citra is intense grapefruit. 0.5 oz really livens up the CAL.

 

Simcoe is one of my favorite hops ever. It used to be fairly hard to get until recently. It's also a parent of Mosaic, which is a lot more popular these days. But I still love making my single malt, single hop AG IPA with just Simcoe and some Maris Otter. Simcoe and a Long Play IPA (or light malt extract if using unhopped extracts) is a suitable substitute if you don't all-grain brew.  Stay tuned for plenty of recipes using these and the rest of our new hops.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
36 minutes ago, MRB Josh R said:

 

Simcoe is one of my favorite hops ever. It used to be fairly hard to get until recently. It's also a parent of Mosaic, which is a lot more popular these days. But I still love making my single malt, single hop AG IPA with just Simcoe and some Maris Otter. Simcoe and a Long Play IPA (or light malt extract if using unhopped extracts) is a suitable substitute if you don't all-grain brew.  Stay tuned for plenty of recipes using these and the rest of our new hops.

 

The recipe spreadsheet/database and I are ready

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Any chance of getting Jade and Galaxy.  These are quickly becoming two of my favorite.  I didn't realize that there were still issues with getting Citra.  I must be lucky b/c my local has them for $2.99 per ounce.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
36 minutes ago, AnthonyC said:

Any chance of getting Jade and Galaxy.  These are quickly becoming two of my favorite.  I didn't realize that there were still issues with getting Citra.  I must be lucky b/c my local has them for $2.99 per ounce.

 

Your LHBS most likely also goes through Brewcraft or BSG. These companies have a long-time contract with hop farms and they are much larger than us so they order and sell much larger quantities in bulk. We mostly only sell 2 gallon batches so we only order around 10-20 lbs at a time. Brewcraft and BSG, which is a "middle-man company" have a minimum order amount, which would require us to buy 10 times what we need, which would mostly go bad before we can sell it all. Until we can secure a contract with a hop distributor that has these hops available, larger companies like BSG and Brewcraft, and craft breweries nationwide will always have first dibs on hops. Also, Citra is a trademarked proprietary variety so only a few farms are allowed to grow and distribute it. Until it becomes more commercially available, it will be fairly difficult to acquire.

 

 

 

 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
35 minutes ago, MRB Josh R said:

 

Your LHBS most likely also goes through Brewcraft or BSG. These companies have a long-time contract with hop farms and they are much larger than us so they order and sell much larger quantities in bulk. We mostly only sell 2 gallon batches so we only order around 10-20 lbs at a time. Brewcraft and BSG, which is a "middle-man company" have a minimum order amount, which would require us to buy 10 times what we need, which would mostly go bad before we can sell it all. Until we can secure a contract with a hop distributor that has these hops available, larger companies like BSG and Brewcraft, and craft breweries nationwide will always have first dibs on hops. Also, Citra is a trademarked proprietary variety so only a few farms are allowed to grow and distribute it. Until it becomes more commercially available, it will be fairly difficult to acquire.

 

 

 

 

Nailed it!  They go through BSG.  Never realized that they were trademarked.  Man, I wish I could get my hands on some Citra Rhizomes!!!  Thanks for the 411, Josh!  :)

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, AnthonyC said:

Nailed it!  They go through BSG.  Never realized that they were trademarked.  Man, I wish I could get my hands on some Citra Rhizomes!!!  Thanks for the 411, Josh!  :)

Im sitting on 15 oz of citra in my freezer right now

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, AnthonyC said:

Nailed it!  They go through BSG.  Never realized that they were trademarked.  Man, I wish I could get my hands on some Citra Rhizomes!!!  Thanks for the 411, Josh!  :)

 

Yeah, that would be nice, but it's practically impossible.

http://buyhoprhizomes.com/citra-rhizomes/

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, MRB Josh R said:

 

Simcoe is one of my favorite hops ever. It used to be fairly hard to get until recently. It's also a parent of Mosaic, which is a lot more popular these days. But I still love making my single malt, single hop AG IPA with just Simcoe and some Maris Otter. Simcoe and a Long Play IPA (or light malt extract if using unhopped extracts) is a suitable substitute if you don't all-grain brew.  Stay tuned for plenty of recipes using these and the rest of our new hops.

 

My goto SMASH IPA is brewed with 2 row and Simcoe on an increasing hop schedule throughout the boil. Ii is, I'm opinion, amazing. My LHBS always has a good stock of Simcoe and since I am limited to a 4.75 gallon boil my batches come in around $20.00. My cousin has found a couple websites where we can buy hops in bulk, half pound to full pound for reasonably cheep. 

 

4 hours ago, AnthonyC said:

Any chance of getting Jade and Galaxy.  These are quickly becoming two of my favorite.  I didn't realize that there were still issues with getting Citra.  I must be lucky b/c my local has them for $2.99 per ounce.

 

 

4 hours ago, MRB Josh R said:

 

Your LHBS most likely also goes through Brewcraft or BSG. These companies have a long-time contract with hop farms and they are much larger than us so they order and sell much larger quantities in bulk. We mostly only sell 2 gallon batches so we only order around 10-20 lbs at a time. Brewcraft and BSG, which is a "middle-man company" have a minimum order amount, which would require us to buy 10 times what we need, which would mostly go bad before we can sell it all. Until we can secure a contract with a hop distributor that has these hops available, larger companies like BSG and Brewcraft, and craft breweries nationwide will always have first dibs on hops. Also, Citra is a trademarked proprietary variety so only a few farms are allowed to grow and distribute it. Until it becomes more commercially available, it will be fairly difficult to acquire.

 

 

 

 

 

I think those sites are where my LHBS buys from. They always have a few ounces of Citra in their fridge. I get there after the deliver comes so I've never really had a problem. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On ‎1‎/‎18‎/‎2017 at 10:14 AM, Big Sarge said:

after most of us took part in the weekend sale. 

what weekend sale? I guess I missed out

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
47 minutes ago, HoppySmile! said:

what weekend sale? I guess I missed out

The "ring in 2017 with 17% off" sale. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

All Seasonals are currently 30% off right now. If you buy 2 or more, it goes up to 40% off. Keep in mind that these are short-dated and the sale will go until they are all gone. These are the very last of the Mr. Beer Seasonal line.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, MRB Josh R said:

All Seasonals are currently 30% off right now. If you buy 2 or more, it goes up to 40% off. Keep in mind that these are short-dated and the sale will go until they are all gone. These are the very last of the Mr. Beer Seasonal line.

Be right back going to rob a bank!

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, HoppySmile! said:

Be right back going to rob a bank!

robbed my piggy bank and ordered two each of the dortmunder and my favorite helles bock

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...