Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
KaijuBrew

Surly Dog IPA - 3 weeks in fermenter - tastes of apple cider

I am really excited about my Surly Dog IPA.  It is about my 6th batch.  I was going to bottle it today after 21 days in the fermenter but it has an apple cider taste to it.  It has been an a cooler and in the first week or so I kept the temperature in mid 60s via ice bottles and packs.

So question - how many more days should I leave it in the fermenter before I take a test taste off the spigot again?

You know what. I read something on the internet one time, it must. E true. But what you're tasting is either acetaldehyde or just an extract taste. Acetaldehyde is prob the biggest problem for new brewers.  You say it was mid 60's which should be fine but none the less you got that flavor.

Now for what i read one time. Im just interested in hearing what others think of this. Acetaldehyde has a boiling point of 68 degrees. Ive heard if you taste it before bottling you can actually "boil" it off by bringing your wort to 70 degrees for "x" amount of time.

anyone else ever heard of this?

• Like 1

Thanks McLane.  I guess my plan (unless I hear a better idea here) is to give it a few days and then bottle.  I imagine it will clean up in the bottle if I let it condition a while, no?

IMG_1067.jpg

And I am guessing it is better to leave in the fermenter to clean things up, up to 4 weeks, then to expect it to clean up in the bottle?

2 hours ago, KaijuBrew said:

And I am guessing it is better to leave in the fermenter to clean things up, up to 4 weeks, then to expect it to clean up in the bottle?

Although you can leave it in there for four weeks, three weeks is optimum.  As far as a clearer beer, your final product will be more clarified than the sample in the picture you posted.  But to get a really "clean" product, you'll want to cold crash.  I don't cold crash for two reasons:  I don't have room in my fridges for an LBK and having a little bit of a cloudy beer doesn't bother me.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Stroomer420 said:

I fortunately have room to cold crash.... ?,, work cooler...

WP_20170121_028.jpg

Stroom,

I guess that you like the 'floral' hop varieties?:lol:

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, scouterbill said:

Stroom,

I guess that you like the 'floral' hop varieties?:lol:

hahaha... Like what you did there.....?