Mr.Beer Community
Bach's Brews

Mash Tun: False Bottom or Bazooka Style? Go!

AG brewers, 

I'm looking to get feedback on which you like best.  I know they both generally do the same thing, but wanted to hear some feedback on the two options.

I'm looking at doing this myself to save a few pennies.  I already have a Coleman style cooler that's 12 gallons, so all I would really need is the bazooka, stainless steel valve, and a way to drill a hole!

Thanks in advance!

Bazooka screens clog too easily a false bottom is definitely the way to go.  A false bottom has more surface area to drain the grain therefore hopefully giving you more wort

• Like 2

Use a bag instead of a screen or a false bottom.  No channeling and a batch sparge is much quicker.

19 hours ago, Creeps McLane said:

Bazooka screens clog too easily a false bottom is definitely the way to go.  A false bottom has more surface area to drain the grain therefore hopefully giving you more wort

Yeah, I've heard of them crushing too if your grain bill is really high.  Not what I want to have happen.  I've read up on doing sparge vs no sparge too.  I like the idea of saving time, but not sure.

5 hours ago, BDawg62 said:

Use a bag instead of a screen or a false bottom.  No channeling and a batch sparge is much quicker.

I'd need one LARGE bag to do a 15 pound grain bill.

Do search for BIAB bags on the internet.  There are places that will make one to size for your cooler.  You send the measurements and they send you a custom bag.

1 hour ago, Bach's Brews said:

I have a friend that does this. He uses a pulley system to lift the bag of wet grains. I don't remember for sure, but I think he hooks it up under a folding ladder.

1 hour ago, Bach's Brews said:

I will say that scooping 12 lbs out of my mash tun then pulling out the false bottom and then spraying it all out one more time is a pain in the ass. If be happier with a bag. But i have a thermometer too which has a 50/50 shot of ripping the bag

I've looked into the BIAB system and I really like that idea.  Nice filtration system.  I used a nice filtered bag for my last 5 gallon batch I did and it was simply amazing with no grain particles in the wort.  That's what I think I'm leaning towards for AG, using the BIAB method in my cooler for mashing or just in my brew kettle.