Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
Wolf357

Can you replace muslin sack w/cheese cloth

A very basic question...can you replace muslin sack with cheesecloth? I want to add jalapeños and lime zest to a Aztec. Can't see why it wouldn't work but this is my first batch where I am adding anything the keg

I guess you probably could. Just make sure you sanitize it. You can also go commando like I do. I don't use a sack for anything except to steep my grains. I know the language here will probably spark some comments.

• Like 2

Yes, this should be fine if it's a semi-fine mesh like the muslin sacks. Too coarse and the hops will just seep through the holes. Some people don't even use muslin sacks and just toss the hops in. As long as you're using under an ounce in a LBK batch, that should be fine, but more than that would require a cheesecloth or muslin sack to prevent clogging the spigot at bottling. If you are dry-hopping (adding hops a few days to a week before bottling), be sure to steep your cheesecloth in boiling water for a few minutes to sanitize it before adding the hops. The hops themselves do not need to be sanitized as they are naturally antibacterial.

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, MRB Josh R said:

Yes, this should be fine if it's a semi-fine mesh like the muslin sacks. Too coarse and the hops will just seep through the holes. Some people don't even use muslin sacks and just toss the hops in. As long as you're using under an ounce in a LBK batch, that should be fine, but more than that would require a cheesecloth or muslin sack to prevent clogging the spigot at bottling. If you are dry-hopping (adding hops a few days to a week before bottling), be sure to steep your cheesecloth in boiling water for a few minutes to sanitize it before adding the hops. The hops themselves do not need to be sanitized as they are naturally antibacterial.

Ok thanks I will sanitize the cheese cloth..you are mentioning hops..should I add hops to my Aztec as well as jalapeño peppers? I want to try and make a really nice brew but this would be my first batch with adding something besides just a extract. 

I'd do it according to your plan.  Then, if you enjoy the final product but want to tinker, brew it again but this time with some hops to see how it changes the character of the brew.

• Like 1

I would soak the Jalapenos in Vodka for 48 to 72 hours and add the vodka rather than the actual peppers,  especially in a "dry hop" scenario.  You will get more flavor that way.  But be careful, too much and you have a HOT beer. 

Since you have already fermented the beer it is better actually to add the vodka at bottling to each bottle.  Pour yourself 12oz of beer (or whatever your bottle size is) and add a measured amount of the vodka until the flavor is slightly more than what you want in the final product.  Then just add that amount to each bottle and fill.

I make a Jalapeno Cream Ale that gets the Jalapenos during the boil.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Shrike said:

I'd do it according to your plan.  Then, if you enjoy the final product but want to tinker, brew it again but this time with some hops to see how it changes the character of the brew.

Thanks how much hopes would you add?

21 minutes ago, BDawg62 said:

I would soak the Jalapenos in Vodka for 48 to 72 hours and add the vodka rather than the actual peppers,  especially in a "dry hop" scenario.  You will get more flavor that way.  But be careful, too much and you have a HOT beer. 

Since you have already fermented the beer it is better actually to add the vodka at bottling to each bottle.  Pour yourself 12oz of beer (or whatever your bottle size is) and add a measured amount of the vodka until the flavor is slightly more than what you want in the final product.  Then just add that amount to each bottle and fill.

I make a Jalapeno Cream Ale that gets the Jalapenos during the boil.

This sounds very very interesting. How much vodka? Would you just cover the peppers in vodka soak for 48-72 hours then add the peppers to the keg and then ferment? Don't blanch the peppers? 

2 hours ago, Wolf357 said:

Thanks how much hopes would you add?

That depends on your tastes and what you're trying to achieve, adding to the flavor or to the aroma.  I'm a novice at adding hops to my brews outside of what's called for in some of the Mr Beer recipes.  So what I do is read up on the hops page on the MB website to see which hops might go best with what I'm brewing.  

• Like 1

4 hours ago, MRB Josh R said:

So I wouldn't need to use a muslin sack to dry-hop or if I added hops to the boil? Then I wouldn't have to use so many muslin sacks.

you can use nylon and wash /reuse? - for either boil or dry hop.

I am lazy and I don't like to filter or clean out spigots when bottling so I use the bags, BUT if possible I use 1/2 bag and tie the ends with white string. Even the small bags you can do this for the hops for an LBK. The string is handy anyway when boiling - you can pull the bag out with it if you make it long enough.

When doing partial mash I tie with a long string too then it is easy to manage.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Wolf357 said:

This sounds very very interesting. How much vodka? Would you just cover the peppers in vodka soak for 48-72 hours then add the peppers to the keg and then ferment? Don't blanch the peppers? 

The recipe I have calls for roasting the jalapeño peppers at 350 for 30 minutes. Then just enough vodka to cover them. I made this beer twice, the first time just the soaked peppers went into the boil and the second time the vodka went in as well. The first one was jalapeño flavored but had next to no heat. The second one had both flavor and heat. 

• Like 3

I am reading this topic and am very interested as I am thinking of a little experimentation. Thanks for all the tips everyone. Batch 3 is gonna be a crazy Mexican concoction. Will keep ya posted!

• Like 1

ive used cheesecloth too with no issues. sanitize first ... as mentioned.

when I did a smoked chipotle porter I washed 2 dried chipotles.. put them in a container and covered them with a mix of vodka and rock n rye. I soaked them for almost a week then pitched the whole lot into the beer.  the rock and rye gave the beer a nice hint of sweet that played nicely on the heat of the peppers.  since I used double the peppers for the size of the batch it was really hot and smoky.  I liked it and it only got better with age.

12 hours ago, BDawg62 said:

The recipe I have calls for roasting the jalapeño peppers at 350 for 30 minutes. Then just enough vodka to cover them. I made this beer twice, the first time just the soaked peppers went into the boil and the second time the vodka went in as well. The first one was jalapeño flavored but had next to no heat. The second one had both flavor and heat. 

Would you be able to share your recipe?

17 hours ago, BrianBrew said:

I guess you probably could. Just make sure you sanitize it. You can also go commando like I do. I don't use a sack for anything except to steep my grains. I know the language here will probably spark some comments.

OMG!!!!!!!!  Sparks are flying Now!!!! I just caught my mini blinds on fire!!!!

I use my old panty hose that my fat veiny legs can't fit in anymore, so I dnt see any reason you can't use cheese cloth?

1 hour ago, Wolf357 said:

Would you be able to share your recipe?

It is an all grain recipe but could be converted to extract by substituting 2.5# of LME or 2.1# of DME extra light extract for the 2 row malt and just steeping the remaining grains at 150 for 30 minutes.  This beer is a nice crisp Cream ale with just enough Jalapeno flavor to be noticed and then it finishes with just enough heat to know it is there.

2.5 Gallons  75% efficiency

OG 1.053

FG  1.008

15 IBUs

4.8 SRM

3.5# Domestic 2 row malt

.5# Flaked Maize

.5# Vienna Malt

.25# Cara-Pils

1oz  Cherrywood Smoked Malt

.18oz Cluster Hops (60 Min)

.1oz Liberty Hops (25 Min)

.1oz Liberty Hops (15 Min)

White Labs WLP080 Cream Ale Yeast

2 Roasted Jalapeno Peppers (15 Min)

(Jalapeno Pepper preparation:  Slit, Rinse and Roast Jalapenos 20 to 30 minutes at 350 Degrees.  Slice and soak in Vodka overnight (use just enough Vodka to cover peppers) Be sure to scrape the veins and seeds from the Jalapenos before roasting.

Mash at 148 for 75 min and then sparge to get 3.75 gallon of wort

Boil adding hops as scheduled above

Add Jalapeno Peppers as scheduled - for little to no heat only add the peppers - for more heat add the vodka as well.  Do not transfer the peppers to the fermenter.

Ferment at 63 degrees for 4 days and then allow temperature to rise to 68 for 8 to 10 days.  Package when gravity has stabilized.

This beer with the vodka added to the boil won a Bronze medal at the Ohio State Fair in the Spice Beer Category.

• Like 3

On 2/14/2017 at 3:22 PM, MRB Josh R said:

What is the benefit of dry hopping a few days to a week before bottling?

Kevin

Just now, Kevin Caffrey said:

What is the benefit of dry hopping a few days to a week before bottling?

Kevin

Added flavor and aroma. This is mostly common with IPAs, pale ales, and other hop forward beers, but it's becoming increasingly popular to dry-hop saisons and wheat beers, too. Don't dry-hop for longer than 7 days before bottling/kegging or it may cause some grassy flavors, though this will also vary by hop.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, MRB Josh R said:

Added flavor and aroma. This is mostly common with IPAs, pale ales, and other hop forward beers, but it's becoming increasingly popular to dry-hop saisons and wheat beers, too. Don't dry-hop for longer than 7 days before bottling/kegging or it may cause some grassy flavors, though this will also vary by hop.

So to "dry hop" you would add the hops to the fermentation keg about a week before bottling? Aproxmatly how how much hops? 

14 minutes ago, Wolf357 said:

So to "dry hop" you would add the hops to the fermentation keg about a week before bottling? Aproxmatly how how much hops? 

Yes. It depends on the recipe and hops used. But anywhere from .25 oz to 1 oz for a 2 gallon batch.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, MRB Josh R said:

Yes. It depends on the recipe and hops used. But anywhere from .25 oz to 1 oz for a 2 gallon batch.

Some of the YouTube videos are saying to add hops to the boiled wort? Would that create a way to hoppy end product? Particularly for a Aztec?

I usually add hops after the boil.  I'm going to be doing the Aztec refill and wanted to add 1 oz of Saaz hops -- think i will try the dry hop method a week before bottling.

Thanks.

Kevin

29 minutes ago, Wolf357 said:

Some of the YouTube videos are saying to add hops to the boiled wort? Would that create a way to hoppy end product? Particularly for a Aztec?

Read this: http://blog.mrbeer.com/hops-101/

• Like 1

It also depends very much if you want the brew to be spicy or jalapeno flavored.

To collect the flavor of the jalapeno add commando in the last week of ferment. To collect the spice only add after the toss.

A spiced jalapeno brew will take some good planning with a basic starter malt. Best of luck with it.

M

2 minutes ago, MnMBeer said:

It also depends very much if you want the brew to be spicy or jalapeno flavored.

To collect the flavor of the jalapeno add commando in the last week of ferment. To collect the spice only add after the toss.

A spiced jalapeno brew will take some good planning with a basic starter malt. Best of luck with it.

M

Would like it to be both spicey and jalapeño flavoured...from what I'm reading I will roast the peppers let sit in vodka for 48 hours.. make a basic kit (I will add a DME) then when it's all in the keg I put the jalapeños in a sack ferment for 3 weeks and in the last week add some hop pellets (with no sack)  in the last week...bottle wait 4 weeks and enjoy?

• Like 1

I like it,

Report in a few weeks,

Watch out for heartburn!!

LOL, M

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Wolf357 said:

Would like it to be both spicey and jalapeño flavoured...from what I'm reading I will roast the peppers let sit in vodka for 48 hours.. make a basic kit (I will add a DME) then when it's all in the keg I put the jalapeños in a sack ferment for 3 weeks and in the last week add some hop pellets (with no sack)  in the last week...bottle wait 4 weeks and enjoy?

That will work, but remember that you can "dry-hop" with peppers, too. This will give you more flavor and heat. I would split the amount used and add half in primary and half a week before bottling for best results. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, MnMBeer said:

I like it,

Report in a few weeks,

Watch out for heartburn!!

LOL, M

I will..I have a stout that has about 1.5 weeks left in the keg and will start this spicey Aztec then...very much looking forward to it...thanks everyone 

• Like 1

On 2017-02-15 at 9:30 AM, BDawg62 said:

It is an all grain recipe but could be converted to extract by substituting 2.5# of LME or 2.1# of DME extra light extract for the 2 row malt and just steeping the remaining grains at 150 for 30 minutes.  This beer is a nice crisp Cream ale with just enough Jalapeno flavor to be noticed and then it finishes with just enough heat to know it is there.

2.5 Gallons  75% efficiency

OG 1.053

FG  1.008

15 IBUs

4.8 SRM

3.5# Domestic 2 row malt

.5# Flaked Maize

.5# Vienna Malt

.25# Cara-Pils

1oz  Cherrywood Smoked Malt

.18oz Cluster Hops (60 Min)

.1oz Liberty Hops (25 Min)

.1oz Liberty Hops (15 Min)

White Labs WLP080 Cream Ale Yeast

2 Roasted Jalapeno Peppers (15 Min)

(Jalapeno Pepper preparation:  Slit, Rinse and Roast Jalapenos 20 to 30 minutes at 350 Degrees.  Slice and soak in Vodka overnight (use just enough Vodka to cover peppers) Be sure to scrape the veins and seeds from the Jalapenos before roasting.

Mash at 148 for 75 min and then sparge to get 3.75 gallon of wort

Boil adding hops as scheduled above

Add Jalapeno Peppers as scheduled - for little to no heat only add the peppers - for more heat add the vodka as well.  Do not transfer the peppers to the fermenter.

Ferment at 63 degrees for 4 days and then allow temperature to rise to 68 for 8 to 10 days.  Package when gravity has stabilized.

This beer with the vodka added to the boil won a Bronze medal at the Ohio State Fair in the Spice Beer Category.

So I was at the Brewer supply store and picked up some corn flakes as well as some on sale pale ale grain and crystal grain. I was planning on using a DME can you use corn flakes and DME or is that over kill?  

21 minutes ago, Wolf357 said:

on sale pale ale grain

That's my favorite kinda grain.. "on sale pale ale". ;)

all I know is with flaked corn you need a grain like 2 row or 6 row to help convert the sugars or something...a base malt grain for conversion.....

So I have gotten completely OT of the OP

but the great info keeps coming so I'm going to keep asking :)

for a mash with corn flakes from what I have read...and what I have ... 40% crystal grain, 40% pale Grain, and 20% corn flake? And no DME? Or Should I use a DME as I have? 

Bear in mind this is my first mash if these seem like silly questions 

12 minutes ago, Wolf357 said:

So I have gotten completely OT of the OP

but the great info keeps coming so I'm going to keep asking :)

for a mash with corn flakes from what I have read...and what I have ... 40% crystal grain, 40% pale Grain, and 20% corn flake? And no DME? Or Should I use a DME as I have? 

Bear in mind this is my first mash if these seem like silly questions 

You don't mash DME.  If you wanted to use DME (for flavor/ABV) you would add it to the run off from the mash (wort) when you boil.  When you add it will usually also dictate some color (aka the longer you boil it the more color it adds... not usually a big thing, just depends on how tight you wanna be with the SRM).  Also, that's a HIGH amount of Crystal too.  I'd cut that in 1/2 minimum, personally.  Of course, if you end up using DME, depending on how much you use, that % would adjust as well.  :)

32 minutes ago, kedogn said:

You don't mash DME.  If you wanted to use DME (for flavor/ABV) you would add it to the run off from the mash (wort) when you boil.  When you add it will usually also dictate some color (aka the longer you boil it the more color it adds... not usually a big thing, just depends on how tight you wanna be with the SRM).  Also, that's a HIGH amount of Crystal too.  I'd cut that in 1/2 minimum, personally.  Of course, if you end up using DME, depending on how much you use, that % would adjust as well.  :)

Thanks what would your % of crystal/pale/corn would you use?

also how much DME? 1/2 lb?

41 minutes ago, Wolf357 said:

Thanks what would your % of crystal/pale/corn would you use?

also how much DME? 1/2 lb?

It all depends on what you are wanting to achieve, honestly.  I try not to use any more than 10% crystal, as high as 15% (though, truth be told, I do have a couple older recipes that are at 18%).  It depends on what kind of crystal you are talking about too and what you are using them for.  If you are wanting other flavors, like Jalapeno, or Hops for that matter, to shine through, you want your base to be lighter (I am not talking in color, specifically, but malt) so the flavors you want can be the star of the show.  The deeper your base, the more you will need of the other to get it come through.  IMO, you should use only the amount of crystal that is required to hit the SRM (color) you are looking for.

Like this old recipe of mine for a Red, where the crystal is at roughly 9.6%:

3 lbs 8.00 oz  Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM)    
1 lbs 8.00 oz  Munich Malt - 10L (10.0 SRM)    
12 oz Special Roast (50.0 SRM)    
12.00 oz Caramel/Crystal Malt - 80L (80.0 SRM)    
9 oz Victory Malt (25.0 SRM)    
8.25 oz Melanoiden Malt (20.0 SRM)    
1 oz Roasted Barley (300.0 SRM)