Mr.Beer Community
GBbrewer

an answer to bottling in glass vs PET

all the holiday brews turned out perfect! i had threw it out there that the glass bottles i did and capped myself were a little slow to carbonate and asked why. they just needed an extra week! 1tsp of sugar per 12oz glass bottle. why they took longer than PET's i have no idea but they came around splendid! patience hahahahahaa!

maybe a temperature exchange difference in glass vs plastic????? hard to say. my PET's always firm up quick so i can tell by feel. can't do that with glass. oh well......i will give glass 4 weeks from this point forward

As much as I want to love the PET's (especially since I have 3 cases of them from early on), I just don't trust them for anything that I'm going to be storing for longer than 6mths.  I've had a few flat ones and that was enough to turn me.  I know that I am the exception here, but I would rather be safe than sorry.  I'll keep using them for IPA's, wheat beers, and ciders but that's about it.  Funny though, I still find myself being over protective of them!  "Make sure I get that bottle back!" :)

• Like 1

On 2/20/2017 at 5:22 PM, GBbrewer said:

maybe a temperature exchange difference in glass vs plastic????? hard to say. my PET's always firm up quick so i can tell by feel. can't do that with glass. oh well......i will give glass 4 weeks from this point forward

You should give them all 4 weeks to carb and condition. As for glass or plastic, I've been at this for 8 years and still bottle each batch into half glass and half plastic. I've had a flat in a glass fliptop, a flat in a capped glass where I got the cap on a little cockeyed, but never a flat in plastic ( some were in plastic for 2 years.) Have had a plastic bottle where the bottom blew off though.

Hi Guys-

Quick question....are there any instructions specific to bottling with glass?  I'm bottling my 4th batch on Monday, and I have used PET until now....but I have the Mr, Beer 12 oz glass bottles, caps and a capper....just wondering if the process is the same, or if there's any tips for capping?  I'll toss the caps into sanitizing solution for a few minutes while the bottles sanitize, and then prime, fill, and cap.  Should I try to dry the caps or anything after they sanitize?  Will any wetness from the sanitizer cause problems with the seal?

Thanks!

Dave

• Like 1

I don't think there is a need to toss the caps in sanitizer.  While I sanitize the bottles, I put the caps that I will press on them on top while I shake the <CENSORED> out of the sanitizer in the bottle.  That should sanitize the inside of the cap, and leave the outside of the caps fine and dry.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, david_k said:

Hi Guys-

Quick question....are there any instructions specific to bottling with glass?  I'm bottling my 4th batch on Monday, and I have used PET until now....but I have the Mr, Beer 12 oz glass bottles, caps and a capper....just wondering if the process is the same, or if there's any tips for capping?  I'll toss the caps into sanitizing solution for a few minutes while the bottles sanitize, and then prime, fill, and cap.  Should I try to dry the caps or anything after they sanitize?  Will any wetness from the sanitizer cause problems with the seal?

Thanks!

Dave

The only thing you really need to worry about are the parts that the beer touches. So for caps, you can certainly soak them, but you don't really need to. (You don't soak the whole bottle, right?). It is only the inside of the cap that touches the beer and that gets bathed in liquid when you flip and shake the bottles.

I put the caps in a bowl and pour some sanitizer over them while the bottles are sanitizing.  Then I just shake them off and pop them on a bottle.  Is it necessary?  Probably not.  But it can't hurt.

• Like 4

They should be wet with sanitizer at least on the inside, so yes, just soak the caps for ten minutes like everything else. Put them on wet.  The bottle top should be dipped in sanitizer also.  

A bottling tree and a vinator come in handy.  Also, if you're doing lots of bottles (it takes more 12 oz than it does 16.9 or 25 or 33.8), both these devices, along with a quicker sanitizer like StarSan, are indispensable.  

thumbnail.jpg

thumbnail (1).jpg

• Like 3

On 3/25/2017 at 10:30 PM, MiniYoda said:

I don't think there is a need to toss the caps in sanitizer.  While I sanitize the bottles, I put the caps that I will press on them on top while I shake the <CENSORED> out of the sanitizer in the bottle.  That should sanitize the inside of the cap, and leave the outside of the caps fine and dry.

Why wouldn't you sanitize your caps!  You have no idea what bugs could be sitting on that cap and then in 4 to 6 weeks you will wonder why your beer taste funny.  Just sanitize them, only takes a moment to put some sanitizer in a bowl and throw in the caps that you are planning to use.  I always do several less than what I am expecting to use so that I don't wet too many caps.

• Like 4

I actually rinse my metal caps first in a colander, since I've watched a LHBS repackage a large bag into small 144 count bags, drop some on the floor, pick them up with their dirty hands...

Then I put them in a bowl of sanitizer and pick them out one by one as I use them.  I always wet too many, on purpose, and simply dry off the extras.  

• Like 4

sanitizing is the ONE thing you should never cut corners on.....i sanitize everything... From my bottles caps can opener whisk ,I even take some sanitizer and wash the counter that I'm working on....say if you don't sanitize your caps and just banking on the fact that when you shake em up is gonna do the trick,,but maybe you get side tracked and forget to shake one or two up,,now you have a good chance of an infected beer.... The rule is sanitize everything that may come into contact with your brew,,,,,

• Like 3

2 hours ago, BDawg62 said:

Why wouldn't you sanitize your caps!  You have no idea what bugs could be sitting on that cap and then in 4 to 6 weeks you will wonder why your beer taste funny.  Just sanitize them, only takes a moment to put some sanitizer in a bowl and throw in the caps that you are planning to use.  I always do several less than what I am expecting to use so that I don't wet too many caps.

I only held the caps on the bottles as I shake the <CENSORED> out of the bottles with sanitizer in them.  I didn't think there was a need to sanitize the outside of the caps

If in doubt always sanitize.  It is much better to be safe than sorry.

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, BDawg62 said:

If in doubt always sanitize.  It is much better to be safe than sorry.

I second that!!!

• Like 1

After I put the sanitizer in the glass bottles I put the cap on top. Shake then invert and let a bot of liquid get out. then turn right side up with cap on for the 8-10 min to sanitize.

This is same as I do for the plastic.

I don't see any point in leaving the bottles open if you want them sanitary.

• Like 2