Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
zorak1066

adventures in all grain..

whipped up a 2 gallon batch of an English bitter today. on dumping the grain into the mash water I was shocked to see my lhbs guy obliterated the grain. soooo much dust! were I using a proper mash tun it might not be a problem but I use a round bevvie cooler with a mash bag.  first problem I under calculated my mash water volume. . . or the obliterated grain acted like sponges so my mash looked more like oatmeal.  no worries.. added more water.

then my mash temp was too low. no worries.. scoop out about a cup of mash, boil, return, repeat.  got it up to about 151f.

then my efficiency was about 70% which was odd. ph was good. I stirred twice during mash. shrug.

I used whirlfloc in the last 10 mins of the boil.

so much sludge! I ended up lining the strainer I run the wort through after cooling with paper towel to act as a filter.  even after 30 minutes the whirlfloc had the crud only down to about the bottom third of the kettle and would not go lower no matter how long it sat... despite whirlpooling. anyway...  I think I squeezed every last drop of wort that I could out.  it will be interesting to see if my extra handling of the wort has any negative impact.  I expect it will come out dry.

question :  when using whirlfloc how long do you let the wort sit before it settles out the crud? will it settle out all the way? or was my experience of the crud sitting like pudding in the bottom inch of the kettle typical?

would a paint strainer bag filter out the dust and break material?  my first foray into all grain was a partial mash and I had the same problem. I ended up with about a gallon lost because of the trub being so high.

• Like 1

now I just have to find a cheap whirlpool paddle. I tried a spoon.. lol. didn't work well.

the yeast (us04) took off after about 6 hrs and have been cheerily burping out co2 like a motor boat since then so I guess it should be okay. so it will be a little dry. so it will be a little lower on abv. i'll just consider it an English session ale.   on the plus side, the glass fermenter is doing better than plastic at keeping the temps at 58f.  one and a half ice bottles every 12 hrs is working nicely for me.