Mr.Beer Community
zorak1066

cold steeping specialty grains (dark)

i read somewhere that when cold steeping you generally need twice the grains...  and use 2 qts cold water per pound of grain.

q1:  if I'm cold steeping for 24 hrs is more grain really necessary?

q2: what if I'm steeping 3 pounds for a 5 gallon batch and use only a gallon? would that concentrate the flavors extracted?

q3: would there be any benefit to a 48 hr cold steep?

the extracted steep water would be added to the boil at 10 mins from flame out.

"2 quarts/pound for 8-24 hours at cold ( 38 degrees ) to room ( 75 degrees ) temperature. at this water to grain ratio, dark roasted grains will typically acidify most tap water to near pH 6 that will naturally limit tannin extraction" directly quoted out of the new issue of BYO magazine.

5 hours ago, zorak1066 said:

i read somewhere that when cold steeping you generally need twice the grains...  and use 2 qts cold water per pound of grain.

q1:  if I'm cold steeping for 24 hrs is more grain really necessary?

q2: what if I'm steeping 3 pounds for a 5 gallon batch and use only a gallon? would that concentrate the flavors extracted?

q3: would there be any benefit to a 48 hr cold steep?

the extracted steep water would be added to the boil at 10 mins from flame out.

• Like 1

Here are my notes from last year's NHC (aka homebrewcon).

https://docs.google.com/document/d/10StNSeVWOKwzIMTmsDeNPHvwRMjpz2f2IBwqzKvAbv0/edit?usp=sharing

You can also go here to download the slides and audio from the 2016 presentation. It's called "How Cold Steeping Malt Can Elevate Your Beer" 

https://www.homebrewersassociation.org/how-to-brew/resources/conference-seminars/