Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
Shrike

First Weizen, thoughts?

I was in my B&M and picked up a can of Briess CBW Bavarian Wheat UME.  My wife likes Weizens so I figured "why not?"  I won't get to this one for about a month and a half, but I was doing some research and tossing around some ideas and below is what I came up with.  I'll steep the grains for 30 minutes, sparge and drain, add the UME, bring up to a boil, add the Tettnanger and boil for 20, then add the Hallertauer at flameout.  I plan on using Safbrew WB-06 yeast.
When I do this one it'll be my first non-Mr. Beer attempt, so any feedback from those familiar with Briess products would be appreciated.

Weizen

Recipe   Weizen   Style   Weizen/Weissbier
Brewer   TwoKings Brewco   Batch   2.25 gal
Partial Mash

Recipe Characteristics

Recipe Gravity   1.069 OG   Estimated FG   1.017 FG
Recipe Bitterness   7 IBU   Alcohol by Volume   6.7%
Recipe Color   6° SRM   Alcohol by Weight   5.2%

Ingredients

Quantity   Grain   Type   Use
0.12 lb   CaraPils - [Body, Head]   Grain   Mashed
0.12 lb   Crystal 15L - [Body, Caramel, Head, Sweet]   Grain   Mashed
3.30 lb   Briess DME - Bavarian Wheat (65%/35%)   Extract   Extract
Quantity   Hop   Type   Time
0.50 oz   Tettnanger (U.S.) - Bittering clean with floral spice aroma perfect for Wheat, Pilsners and Lager style beer   Pellet   20 minutes
0.50 oz   Hallertauer (Germany) - Noble aroma and flavor very floral, earthy with a little spice   Pellet   0 minutes

• Like 2

CaraPils and Crystal 15 have the same body and head properties, so you don't need both.  Neither gets mashed, so a simple 20 minute steep is fine.  

saaz for about 8 minutes would be nice too.  you could also toss in some Valencia orange peel and grains of paradise then too. 

8 hours ago, zorak1066 said:

saaz for about 8 minutes would be nice too.  you could also toss in some Valencia orange peel and grains of paradise then too. 

Thanks for the feedback.  Would those get put into the LBK, too, when the wort goes in?  Or toss them out after the steep?

Put nothing in your LBK that has not been made free of bugs/germs.  You cannot just drop in orange peel.  You must either put it in the boil, or the hot water when you add the HME, or soak it in vodka for a few days FIRST.  

after I steep my grains I throw my peel in a hop bag and throw it in the boil for five mins or so,then flame out add everything else,,I usually just leave the peel in for the whole fermentation process... ,,,good luck!. ?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, RickBeer said:

Put nothing in your LBK that has not been made free of bugs/germs.  You cannot just drop in orange peel.  You must either put it in the boil, or the hot water when you add the HME, or soak it in vodka for a few days FIRST.  

That's why I mentioned "after the steep".  

you mentioned dme so I thought you would be doing a boil. I add the Valencia orange , saaz and grains of paradise in the last 8 mins of the boil.

7 hours ago, zorak1066 said:

you mentioned dme so I thought you would be doing a boil. I add the Valencia orange , saaz and grains of paradise in the last 8 mins of the boil.

This Briess is LME.  I called it UME because it's un-hopped.