Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
MetalKdub

Northwest Pale Ale

Hi, I have a container of  Northwest Pale Ale and would like to kick it up a notch by adding some hops. I do have three packets of hops on hand, Zythos, Falconers Flight and Simcoe. Which, if any, of the hops will make my pale ale more like an IPA ( if at all) and would I benifit in adding an LME or a booster?

1 minute ago, MetalKdub said:

Hi, I have a container of  Northwest Pale Ale and would like to kick it up a notch by adding some hops. I do have three packets of hops on hand, Zythos, Falconers Flight and Simcoe. Which, if any, of the hops will make my pale ale more like an IPA ( if at all) and would I benifit in adding an LME or a booster?

The NWPA is quite good on its own. If you're wanting the aromas of an IPA, you can dry hop with any (or all) of the three. Adding bitterness will require boiling some LME or grain water, DON'T boil the HME. I'd recommend Simcoe for buttering. 

I wa

Just now, Big Sarge said:

The NWPA is quite good on its own. If you're wanting the aromas of an IPA, you can dry hop with any (or all) of the three. Adding bitterness will require boiling some LME or grain water, DON'T boil the HME. I'd recommend Simcoe for buttering. 

I was just thinking about making the NWPA on it's own but had these extra packets of hops laying around so thought I might use them up. Do you know how long they last unopened?

1 minute ago, MetalKdub said:

I wa

I was just thinking about making the NWPA on it's own but had these extra packets of hops laying around so thought I might use them up. Do you know how long they last unopened?

...also when dry hopping, the instructions say to add the hops after 1 week in the fermenter, but I was told it was better to add them about 5 days before bottling.

• Like 1

I have yet to try this one.... They have on amazon for 16.85$... Think I'm gonna pick up three of em,,do one straight up,,see how it is ,then definitely tinker with...definitely wanna hear what ya do and how it comes out.... ?

1 hour ago, MetalKdub said:

...also when dry hopping, the instructions say to add the hops after 1 week in the fermenter, but I was told it was better to add them about 5 days before bottling.

Dry hopping is best during the last week of fermentation. If unopened and refrigerated, the hops will last quite a while. 

1 hour ago, Stroomer420 said:

I have yet to try this one.... They have on amazon for 16.85$... Think I'm gonna pick up three of em,,do one straight up,,see how it is ,then definitely tinker with...definitely wanna hear what ya do and how it comes out.... ?

I think I may just take Big Sarge's advice and just make it straight up. If I like it, I may need to experiment with it, as well.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, MetalKdub said:

I think I may just take Big Sarge's advice and just make it straight up. If I like it, I may need to experiment with it, as well.

It's a winner in my book, very versatile. 

2 hours ago, MetalKdub said:

Making it straight up the first time is never a mistake.  Once you get a taste of the base refill, then you can consider how to augment it.  If you add hops and/or malt the first time, you won't know if you liked or disliked it because of the NWPA itself or because of what you added.  Good luck and good brewing!

• Like 1

Just bottled this straight up on the weekend. Came out at 4.6pct and tasted pretty good as well. I think it will be a regularly brewed one for me!

I believe that there are a few Mr. Beer recipes out there that use NWPA and mix it with another HME.  Perhaps it was the American Burleywine.  I made one last year and it quickly (actually, not so quick -- 12mths of conditioning) became my favorite Mr. Beer recipe thus far.

On 3/1/2017 at 5:18 PM, Big Sarge said:

Dry hopping is best during the last week of fermentation. If unopened and refrigerated, the hops will last quite a while. 

If I do dry hop, how long do I boil the Muslin sack to sanitize it before adding the hops and dropping it in the fermenter?