Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
NwMaltHead

Maple brown sugar ale

I picked up this recipe from the lhbs.  For 5 gal. I'm sure it'll be great,  but figured I'd post for thoughts on it, or just for anybody to try out. 

3.5lbs light DME

1lb brown sugar

1C real maple syrup 

2 tsp Gypsum

1 tsp Irish Moss 

0.5lb Crystal malt (10L)

2 oz fuggles hops 

Liquid Ale Yeast

1 hour ago, RickBeer said:

Brown sugar ferments into molasses which is not sweet.

Yeah but it adds good flavor. 

be advised that grocery stores sell sugar with molasses and call it brown...   yeast will eat all the sucrose and leave behind the molassess and your beer will taste like black licorice.

ive done it in a stout and it was not pleasant.   It was like drinking Italian licorice... and the flavor does not mellow out.

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, zorak1066 said:

be advised that grocery stores sell sugar with molasses and call it brown...   yeast will eat all the sucrose and leave behind the molassess and your beer will taste like black licorice.

ive done it in a stout and it was not pleasant.   It was like drinking Italian licorice... and the flavor does not mellow out.

It's a recipe entirely from the lhbs. No worries on the quality, definitely good to know for future.

Nw, I'd probably up the syrup and lower the brown sugar.  If you want to taste the maple at all, definitely WAY up the syrup & replace the brown sugar with white.  

3.5lbs light DME

1lb brown sugar

1.5C real maple syrup 

2 tsp Gypsum

1 tsp Irish Moss 

0.5lb Crystal malt (10L)

2 oz fuggles hops 

Liquid Ale Yeast

I wound up following the advice of @AnthonyC and upping the Maple by 50%. The OG was about 1.038 which is a tad lower than anticipated but my LBKs smell great ?

Will bottle in 2 weeks.

• Like 3

I doubt that you will get much maple flavor from this. In order to really get maple flavor you really need to use a maple extract at bottling. 

I make a Maple Wine that is 32oz of maple syrup and 1 gallon of water and it has no maple flavor at all.  More of an earthy white wine type of flavor.  Very good flavor but nothing recognizable as maple.

Also, I wouldn't count of the fact that your LHBS doesn't buy it's brown sugar from the grocery store and then repackages it into kits. 

Which ale yeast did you use?  Was it an English strain or something else?

• Like 2

BDawg62 is correct. Real maple syrup won't give you much maple flavor, unfortunately, because it all ferments out. You will need to use a maple flavored extract.

• Like 2

18 hours ago, NwMaltHead said:

3.5lbs light DME

1lb brown sugar

1.5C real maple syrup 

2 tsp Gypsum

1 tsp Irish Moss 

0.5lb Crystal malt (10L)

2 oz fuggles hops 

Liquid Ale Yeast

I wound up following the advice of @AnthonyC and upping the Maple by 50%. The OG was about 1.038 which is a tad lower than anticipated but my LBKs smell great ?

Will bottle in 2 weeks.

here is another recipe

https://www.jaysbrewing.com/2012/07/18/simple-maple-syrup-pale-ale/

• Like 1

I am cold crashing over the next 24 hrs I was going to put LBKs in the fridge Saturday buuutt I forgot. The OG - 1.052

FG - 1.002 

ABV ~ 6.5%

Much dryer than i was expecting gravity wise. Hoping the Maple Extract flavor will go round it out nicely. Will post pictures when i bottle.

My original OG reading was a typo. Not sure why i said 1.038 earlier but in my actual notebook I recorded 1.050, 1.052 after temp adjustment. 

Very low FG due to all that maple syrup and brown sugar. Hope it tastes good, that is a lot of adjuncts.

what if you were to use real maple tree sap? maybe soak it with the tree bark. I dnt have a maple tree but I do have a one of those ginkgo biloba trees, maybe extract the sap, soak it in the tree bark and add it to the LBK. not looking for flavor, instead wanting to improve my memory loss while drinking many beers

• Like 1

Bottled this last night, and im very excited for it! The taste test during bottling had a decent amount of maple flavor left and hints of molasses. I added 1/2tsp of vanilla per gallon in the bottling bucket. Glad I did. Will report back on it in 6 weeks after I crack the first one.

• Like 2

On 4/17/2017 at 0:09 PM, NwMaltHead said:

Bottled this last night, and im very excited for it! The taste test during bottling had a decent amount of maple flavor left and hints of molasses. I added 1/2tsp of vanilla per gallon in the bottling bucket. Glad I did. Will report back on it in 6 weeks after I crack the first one.

What was the final verdict on this one??  

I became impatient; at 3 months it still tasted horrid! I dumped most to free up bottles. However, I found one the last week of August hiding in my closet and it was pretty good.

I learned a valuable first had lesson in patience. 

• Like 3