Mr.Beer Community
wyvern28

Oktoberfest Lager fermentation time

So I have brewed a few other types of beer in the past and none of them have seemed to turn out quite as well as I had hoped. I think my problem was either not using enough sugar or not allowing the beer to be fully fermented...or both. I began to get frustrated and stopped brewing for a while until recently when a friend reignited my desire to home brew. I ordered the Oktoberfest Lager and want to do this right. How long should I allow the beer to ferment before bottling and how much sugar should I add to each bottle?

always go three weeks fermenting and try and keep your wort temperature in the mid 60's here's a link to carbonation discussion that also has the sugar chart...

• Like 1

Let it ferment for three weeks with the wort in the mid-60s.   Click here for a good thread on how much priming sugar to use.

ETA:  I keep it simple and use Domino's Dots:  one cube for 12 oz. bottles, two for 500ml PET bottles.

35 minutes ago, wyvern28 said:

So I have brewed a few other types of beer in the past and none of them have seemed to turn out quite as well as I had hoped. I think my problem was either not using enough sugar or not allowing the beer to be fully fermented...or both. I began to get frustrated and stopped brewing for a while until recently when a friend reignited my desire to home brew. I ordered the Oktoberfest Lager and want to do this right. How long should I allow the beer to ferment before bottling and how much sugar should I add to each bottle?

Your problem was likely NOT sugar.  Fermentation times, temps more likely.

• Like 1

and don't forget to be patient and let condition after bottling for at least four weeks and refrigerate for three days before trying..good luck...?

• Like 1

Standard refills tend to be a little "thin". You might want to add some malt extract. One packet of LME or 8 oz DME  added to a standard refill improves the beer. As mentioned, you can't go wrong with three weeks fermenting (mid-high 60's) and a month or two conditioning. I tend to use less sugar than the MB recommended amounts. I like the Screwy Brewer's web site for calculating sugar amounts.

• Like 2

i do a 5 gallon octoberfest/ marzen every year, I always add extra vienne and munich malts.

• Like 1

this year i'll be creating my own Marzen from all the other recipes I brewed in the past. i'm waiting on the 11.0 lbs of LME to come in the mail. Two years ago I used a AIH recipe that turned out to be one of the best octoberfest beers I've ever had, the following year I brewed the same and added more malt and yielded an 8.1 on the ABV%, the year before was around 5 %. this year I wanna get in between and not lose in the flavor so i'm amping up on the malts a little more

• Like 1