Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
MetalKdub

Hops

I was just wondering what the differences between the Simcoe and Williamette hops were. Woud I be able to substitute one for the other or are they totally different?

20 hours ago, MetalKdub said:

I was just wondering what the differences between the Simcoe and Williamette hops were. Woud I be able to substitute one for the other or are they totally different?

http://www.brew365.com/hop_substitution_chart.php
https://byo.com/resources/hops

This is a good set of charts to show you what can/should be substituted to get you as close to the original hop as you can. :) 

• Like 1

Just now, kedogn said:

http://www.brew365.com/hop_substitution_chart.php

This is a good chart to show you what can/should be substituted to get you as close to the original hop as you can. :) 

OK, thanks, kedogn...it looks like they're not real similar. I was thinking of adding some Simcoe hops to the Howling Red Ale. How do you think that would turn out?

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, MetalKdub said:

OK, thanks, kedogn...it looks like they're not real similar. I was thinking of adding some Simcoe hops to the Howling Red Ale. How do you think that would turn out?

I *LOVE* Simcoe hops, but I am not familiar with that one, but if it's a true Red, thus more malt than not, I wouldn't add Simcoe, personally.  I would only use them in something lighter body (Pale/IPA), where they can shine through.  With that said, don't let convention (or anyone's opinion, especially mine) stop ya from trying something.  You just might find what you make is your favorite, or if not, you might find something you can easily tweak that will become your fav  :) 

• Like 3

Wisco disco is a hoppy red here in Wisconsin. I don't really care for it but its hugely popular 

last tap room i went to had a hoppy red, i didnt really care for it.

dont fear a hoppy red. Seems to be a thing now a days

• Like 1

The Howling Red is built around Cascade. Are you planning on replacing the Cascade with Simcoe, or adding Simcoe to the Cascade?

11 hours ago, MrWhy said:

The Howling Red is built around Cascade. Are you planning on replacing the Cascade with Simcoe, or adding Simcoe to the Cascade?

I was kind of thinking of dry hopping the Simcoe in addition to the Cascade. Do you think there would be another hop that would accent it better?

19 hours ago, Creeps McLane said:

Wisco disco is a hoppy red here in Wisconsin. I don't really care for it but its hugely popular 

last tap room i went to had a hoppy red, i didnt really care for it.

dont fear a hoppy red. Seems to be a thing now a days

Had a Toaster Pastry Red IPA from 21st Amendment Brewery that I thought was pretty good.

toaster pastry.jpg

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, MetalKdub said:

Had a Toaster Pastry Red IPA from 21st Amendment Brewery that I thought was pretty good.

toaster pastry.jpg

That is my FAVORITE Red IPA!  SOOOO good!  I love the guys at 21A, especially the San Leandro location. 

Side Note: 4 of the first 5 people to buy beers at the San Leandro location when it opened were wearing Manfish Brewing shirts, no lie. :)

• Like 1