Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
sabres032

The Jim Johnson memorial Landbier

Thanks for the recipe.  I'm going to brew this, too.  In memory of JJ.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Bluejaye said:

Thanks for the recipe.  I'm going to brew this, too.  In memory of JJ.

We'll have to compare notes. I'm mashing at 154, 60 minutes, fermenting at 75 one week then secondary about 70 for two weeks. 

• Like 1

Sure, sounds good.  I probably won't brew this for another 3-4 weeks.

• Like 1

It's all brewed up and yeast is pitched. The shot glass was a pre boil sample. The picture of the fermenter was after pitching the yeast. 

IMG_20170401_105418-01.jpeg

IMG_20170401_185249.jpg

• Like 2

2 hours ago, sabres032 said:

It's all brewed up and yeast is pitched. The shot glass was a pre boil sample. The picture of the fermenter was after pitching the yeast. 

IMG_20170401_105418-01.jpeg

IMG_20170401_185249.jpg

EEEuw.............. what a lot of stuff in the bottom. Is it hop pellets?   Cornflakes?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Nickfixit said:

EEEuw.............. what a lot of stuff in the bottom. Is it hop pellets?   Cornflakes?

Its the Proteins and yeast... and stuff.....happens with all grain batches (or at least mine anyway). it is interesting to watch that go from that fluffy stuff to LOTS of fluffy stuff and then down to the fine sand looking trub you normally see...

Irish Moss and Whirlfloc are the same thing, don't know why you would have both.  And they should make the fermenter much clearer than that, unless all the pot contents were poured in.

12 hours ago, Nickfixit said:

11 hours ago, hotrod3539 said:

Its the Proteins and yeast... and stuff.....happens with all grain batches (or at least mine anyway). it is interesting to watch that go from that fluffy stuff to LOTS of fluffy stuff and then down to the fine sand looking trub you normally see...

3 hours ago, RickBeer said:

Irish Moss and Whirlfloc are the same thing, don't know why you would have both.  And they should make the fermenter much clearer than that, unless all the pot contents were poured in.

I always leave my proteins in the pot. I think it was once popular belief that the proteins were bad for fermentation. Hence why people look for the best way to chill their wort fast to get a good solid cold break.

but as with anything in brewing i have also heard professional brewers say that the protien is beneficial in fermentation. Maybe itll always be a preference thing. Either way, you get beer.

this is my cerveza crud that i opted to leave out of the fermenter 

IMG_2405.PNG

• Like 1

4 hours ago, RickBeer said:

19 minutes ago, Creeps McLane said:

I always leave my proteins in the pot. I think it was once popular belief that the proteins were bad for fermentation. Hence why people look for the best way to chill their wort fast to get a good solid cold break.

but as with anything in brewing i have also heard professional brewers say that the protien is beneficial in fermentation. Maybe itll always be a preference thing. Either way, you get beer.

IMG_2405.PNG

I don't have a wort chiller yet because the basin and pipes in my utility room need replacing. For the time being I'm just chilling the boil kettle in an ice and cold water bath. Maybe I'm not reaching cold break fast enough for the gunk to settle. Once the wort it cooled to pitching temp, I run it through a fine mesh strainer into the fermenter. It does a good job of catching any hop particles but the other gunk still gets through. 

This will get transferred to a secondary on Saturday for a couple weeks then cold crash before bottling. I'm still making beer that is clear when I pour into my point glass and it tastes good so I'm not worried. 

• Like 3

18 minutes ago, Creeps McLane said:

IMG_2405.PNG

I have noticed a much more active and agressive fermentation when I leave them (not all but some) in for fermentation.

• Like 3

Hot break should not be transferred.  The purpose of using whirlfloc is to clump things up so you can avoid transferring it.  There is no benefit to transferring it into the fermenter, in fact, by transferring proteins into the wort you run a higher chance of chill haze.  Zero benefit.

1 hour ago, RickBeer said:

Hot break should not be transferred.  The purpose of using whirlfloc is to clump things up so you can avoid transferring it.  There is no benefit to transferring it into the fermenter, in fact, by transferring proteins into the wort you run a higher chance of chill haze.  Zero benefit.

Body and head retention would be a benefit. 

• Like 1

Yes, protein and dextrins do increase body and head retention, but not the protein that's in the break and already clumping.  

I use cooking oil and gasoline mixture to clear out the clumps, seems to work for, but I only recommend it if you do not live in Michigan

• Like 1

19 hours ago, RickBeer said:

There is also no issue with transferring it either.  @hotrod3539 my fermenters all look just like that but end up with a shallow layer of trub on the bottom after fermentation.

I did an experiment where I transferred only clear wort into one fermenter and then all of the remaining wort into another fermenter, hot break, trub and everything you are suppose to leave out.  I fermented both at the same temperature and then bottled and conditioned both at the same temperature.  Took them to my brew club and did a blind triangle test.  Out of 18 participants only 5 were able to pick the beer that had all of the hot break and trub in the fermenter.  And those 5 actually preferred that beer over the other.  With the result only being 5 in a triangle test that means there is no significant difference between the beers.

And these beers like all of my other AG beers are clear enough to read through.  I have read where boil vigor affects chill haze more than anything else.

• Like 2

On 3/31/2017 at 1:22 PM, sabres032 said:

Tomorrow I'm brewing a Landbier dedicated to Jim Johnson. Last year, Jim and I were discussing a recipe for a competition he was going to enter but I never heard the results from the batch. This batch is a little different from the one he decided on but hey, it's a farmhouse ale, the is no real style. 

Using the Mangrove Jack M27 Belgian Ale yeast @HoppySmile! sent me a few months ago in a trade. A 1 liter starter is already cooking. Here's the recipe.

Screenshot_20170331-134117.png

Sabers, thanks for posting.  I will have to brew this at some point in honor of Jim as well. 

• Like 1

On 4/3/2017 at 8:10 AM, BDawg62 said:

Sabers, thanks for posting.  I will have to brew this at some point in honor of Jim as well. 

Hope yours turns out as good as I think mine will. 

On 4/2/2017 at 10:33 AM, Creeps McLane said:

IMG_2405.PNG

Yesterday I did a 30 minute hop stand with my Smash Ale and all the hot break smutz settled to the bottom of the boil kettle. I was able to keep about 90% of it in the kettle when I racked to the fermenter. 

• Like 1

The farmhouse ale is coming along nicely. Cold crashing later this week then bottling on Saturday. 

• Like 1

Bottled this batch yesterday and thought, hey, why not put 16.9oz in to a flip top bottle and not carbonate. Refrigerated over night and poured it today and WOW!!! Nice color, balanced malt and bitterness with a huge minty flavor. Let my cousin and his girlfriend try it and they love it. 

IMG_20170423_173432-01.jpeg

• Like 5

Looks great. I'm having a hard time finding that hop local. Or that hop and yeast mail-order.

On 4/24/2017 at 8:01 AM, Bluejaye said:

Looks great. I'm having a hard time finding that hop local. Or that hop and yeast mail-order.

The yeast I got in a trade and the hop was leftover from a brew my cousin and I made a few months ago. 

Everyone I let try this beer loves it. Might be one that goes into my rotation. 

• Like 5

I feel a Landbier should really be some sort of German Lager yeast, but I am going to make this a Saison given the time of year, and what I can get at my LBHS.  I know JJ liked them.  I prefer session beers so I reduced the grainbill a tad in proper proportions, I like about 9lbs in my recipes.  I saw Polaris at AIH last time I was in, I am excited to try it.

2 lbs    Vienna Malt (Weyermann) (3.0 SRM)
5 lbs    Pilsner (2 Row) Bel (2.0 SRM)
8.00 oz    Cara-Pils/Dextrine (2.0 SRM)
2 lbs    Munich Malt (9.0 SRM)

0.25 oz    Polaris [18.0%] - Boil 60 min
0.25 oz    Polaris [18.0%] - Boil 22 min
0.50 oz    Polaris [18.0%] - Boil 7 min

1 pkgs    Belgian Saison (Wyeast Labs #3724)

Batch Size: 5.50 gal    Style: Saison (25B)
Boil Size: 6.48 gal    Style Guide: BJCP 2015
Color: 5.2 SRM
Bitterness: 36.7 IBUs    Boil Time: 60 min
Est OG: 1.047 (11.8° P)    Mash Profile: Single Infusion, Medium Body
Est FG: 1.010 SG (2.4° P)    Fermentation: Ale, Two Stage
ABV: 5.0%

• Like 2

I cracked a bottle after conditioning for over a month and a half and all I can say is WOW!!! All the flavors have blended well. It's a nice balanced ale with great color, clarity and a subtle mint flavor from the hops. My wife and her bestie have laid claim to the batch. This might go into the rotation with no tweaks. 

• Like 2