Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
Bach's Brews

Pale Ale Ideas

Anyone make any good Pale Ales lately?  I have the makings for a base 5 gallon Pale Ale beer, but thought I'd ask you guys if you've made any stellar ones as of late! 

Thanks for the ideas!

Cheers!

• Like 2

I brewed one a end of February with 2 row, caramel 40, CaraPils as my grain bill, citra and experimental stonefruit hops with wlp001 yeast. I think it turned out good. Color turned out about a 7 or 8 and the flavors are apricot, peach and hints of plums. The abv came in about a 5%ish. 

204 Pale Ale

• Like 4

Thanks for some ideas guys!  Supposed to be a beautiful weekend.  I'd like to get out and brew!  I do need to make my Bourbon Barrel Stout still!  Might just do that.

• Like 4

My favorite, most drinkable pale ale I've done was simply the Mr. B Wit Your Whistle partial mash recipe, but I left out the coriander and orange zest. It turned into a very mild (in a good way) pale that picked up a little bit of belgian flavor from the yeast.

I loved it.

I am putting it on my brew list again, with the addition of either booster or honey and 1 more LME to get the ABV up into the 6 range.

I basically did a small hopped up northwest pale ale. turned out pretty mild, but I didn't want to turn it into a wacky ipa, which isn't hard to do. and did use the wyeast northwest pale ale yeast, and quite frankly really didn't notice a huge change in flavor profile like I was hoping. next time i'll save a few  bucks and just use under the lid yeast

• Like 1

This is what I'm thinking about doing:

6lbs Pale LME

1lb Light DME

8oz Caramel 40

8oz Carapils

1oz Cascade @ 60

1oz Australian Galaxy @ 10

1oz Cascade @ flameout

US-05 yeast.

Any tweaks I should make? Different hop schedule.  I have these Australian hops I bought from NB and want to use them! :-D

• Like 3

On 4/11/2017 at 0:07 PM, Bach's Brews said:

6lbs Pale LME

1lb Light DME

8oz Caramel 40

8oz Carapils

1oz Cascade @ 60

1oz Cascade @ flameout

US-05 yeast.

Any tweaks I should make? Different hop schedule.  I have these Australian hops I bought from NB and want to use them! :-D

Na, looks good to me. Brew it up and see if it turns out like you envisioned. 

On 4/11/2017 at 0:07 PM, Bach's Brews said:

6lbs Pale LME

1lb Light DME

8oz Caramel 40

8oz Carapils

1oz Cascade @ 60

1oz Cascade @ flameout

US-05 yeast.

Just put it into Beersmith, assumed 5 gallon batch.

I changed the Galaxy and 60 minute Cascade around.  The Alpha Acid level of the Galaxy would make for a better bittering hop.

1oz Galaxy @ 60min

1oz Cascade @ 10min

1oz Cascade @ flameout

OG             1.059

IBU              40.6

SRM             6.4

All good numbers for a pale ale

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, BDawg62 said:

I changed the Galaxy and 60 minute Cascade around.  The Alpha Acid level of the Galaxy would make for a better bittering hop.

1oz Galaxy @ 60min

1oz Cascade @ 10min

1oz Cascade @ flameout

OG             1.059

IBU              40.6

SRM             6.4

Should still give great flavors and aromas. Instead of tropical fruit I can see grapefruit flavors. I'd drink it. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, BDawg62 said:

1oz Galaxy @ 60min

1oz Cascade @ 10min

1oz Cascade @ flameout

OG             1.059

IBU              40.6

SRM             6.4

The reason I did the Australian Galaxy at the end was due to NB recommendation that it would be a good late addition or flameout hop.  Soooo, not sure where to go from here. Haha!

I feel that galaxy is such a good hop that its almost wasted as a bittering. If you were doing a first wort hop or something then id be ok. Cascade is good too, but if you're looking at see what a hop is like, i wouldn't use it as a bittering addition. These are just my thoughts. I chase taste not IBU  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Creeps McLane said:

I feel that galaxy is such a good hop that its almost wasted as a bittering. If you were doing a first wort hop or something then id be ok. Cascade is good too, but if you're looking at see what a hop is like, i wouldn't use it as a bittering addition. These are just my thoughts. I chase taste not IBU  

I feel the same way. I love that hop strain, I just wish we could source it. Like Citra, it has been a pain in the ass to find in bulk wholesale. Pretty sure the whole harvest is gone now. No one has it in stock. :(

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, MRB Josh R said:

I feel the same way. I love that hop strain, I just wish we could source it. Like Citra, it has been a pain in the ass to find in bulk wholesale. Pretty sure the whole harvest is gone now. No one has it in stock. :(

NB bought all the citra up for their Swig of Sunbeams Kits... they use 7oz..... per kit, 1 @15 min, 4 at flame out and 2 dry hop...

2 minutes ago, hotrod3539 said:

NB bought all the citra up for their Swig of Sunbeams Kits... they use 7oz..... per kit, 1 @15 min, 4 at flame out and 2 dry hop...

Of course they did. Those bastards.... :angry:

• Like 3

1 hour ago, MRB Josh R said:

Yikes! Expensive, too! We are looking into getting some Citra CryoHops from YCH. More on that later possibly...

Yes, $23 for a pound of hops is a little pricey but when it's the only place I can find Citra I'll pay it.

• Like 2

Even with shipping I'm still paying less than I would at my local homebrew store. Last time I bought Citra there it was over $4 an ounce.

• Like 3

On ‎4‎/‎12‎/‎2017 at 5:11 PM, Creeps McLane said:

So it's settled.  I will keep the current hop schedule with the Galaxy as a late addition.  I'm excited to give this a try.  Not sure when I'll be able to brew this.  Probably next weekend hopefully!

On ‎4‎/‎12‎/‎2017 at 3:11 PM, Creeps McLane said:

I feel that galaxy is such a good hop that its almost wasted as a bittering

Agreed, and Galaxy is so much more expensive and often hard to find.

I primarily use Columbus almost exclusively for bittering.   What I have learned from spending time at big boy breweries is that it almost doesn't matter what you use for bittering, as long as your flavor/aroma hops are there for what you want to end with.  Case in point: using  HopShots or other liquid hop extracts, you don't know what the hops are in those that were used and my gut tells me its a mixture anyway.  Pretty much all you know is that a certain amount of it (like with HopShots, the full syringe) gets you roughly 10 IBUs per 5 gallons of 1.050 wort.  After learning this, I have pretty much went to solid Columbus for bittering, unless I am doing an "All ______" hop beer.  Saves the trouble of trying to figure it out, as well as it allows me to buy Columbus in bigger bulks to save even more $$.  :) 

• Like 1

Here's what I'm thinking going off of what's in my cupboard:

2lbs Golden Light DME 

1lb Crystal 20L

.5oz Carapils

.5oz citra @40

.5oz citra @15

American Ale Yeast 

OG - 1.063

IBU - 47

ABV - 6.2%

SRM - 11

• Like 1

On ‎4‎/‎20‎/‎2017 at 11:28 AM, Creeps McLane said:

Ritebrew is always my cheapest option

http://www.ritebrew.com/product-p/824328.htm

I love this website.  I'm actually going to go to the store over the weekend of May 19th for the first time.  I'll be sure to place an order the day before so I can pick it up!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Bach's Brews said:

I love this website.  I'm actually going to go to the store over the weekend of May 19th for the first time.  I'll be sure to place an order the day before so I can pick it up!

I drove by it once when they were closed. They have no storefront, just a man door to pick up orders. Pretty soon here I think ill make that drive quite often picking up bulk bags of malts. 

18 hours ago, Creeps McLane said:

I drove by it once when they were closed. They have no storefront, just a man door to pick up orders. Pretty soon here I think ill make that drive quite often picking up bulk bags of malts. 

Oh okay. Good to know then.  I thought there was some sort of storefront.  I'll try to make sure I order everything I need on the first try!

• Like 1

On 4/14/2017 at 3:33 PM, sabres032 said:

Even with shipping I'm still paying less than I would at my local homebrew store. Last time I bought Citra there it was over $4 an ounce.

Yeah, certain hops are, at times, cheaper here in Oregon since so many grow up here and I still pay 6.50 For 2oz of whole cone Citra. Hoping to grab some fresh hops from the farmers this year and make a fresh hop IPA 

• Like 1