Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
C-Note 1959

Next brew questions on LME and booster boiling

Looking to start another batch of beer this weekend. In my recent batch of goodies from Mr. Beer I bought some LME's pale, golden and robust along with some booster packs. As I understand you never boil the canned HME's. I have thought that I read somewhere on here that you CAN boil LME's and boosters. Is there a time limit as to how long you can boil them ?

I read that when first dissolving booster to do it with cool/cold water and get it to completely dissolve first.

Was thinking of doing a boil and adding 1/2 oz. of hops to the boil for like 10 minutes to get enhanced hop aroma and a bit of flavor before adding the Northwest pale ale HME after flame off along with adding 1/2 oz of same hop for about 7 days for dry hop before bottling.

Comments on the boiling of the booster and LME's.

Thanks

Hello C-Note!!!!

Adding booster/LME to cold water makes it hard to dissolve.

Get the water warming up. When it is no longer cold, slowly add your booster and stir while adding. Bring the temp up slowly to avoid clumping!!!!!

You can add LME to cool/warmer water. The issue there is not really clumping, but more sticking/scorching on the bottom.

The key to both is to slowly (relatively) bring the temp from cool to boiling.

There is not really a time limit to how long you can boil either boosters or LMEs. Realistically, with the Mr. Beer recipes, I would not see you ever boiling either more than 30 minutes, and that would be rare. I usually top out at a 20 minute boil for hop additions.

Your hop plan makes sense and is in line with what I do a lot.....a 20 minute boil with additions at 20...10...5 (or whatever.) Just make sure you are adding the hops to a boiling LME and not just water.

Happy Brewing!

• Like 2

Thanks, MrWhy. Gotcha! Now I just have to decide which hop to go with. I'm always taking detailed notes of how to do things to understand the final results. Same way I learned to bbq (did several briskets before I figured them out). :)

• Like 2