Jump to content
Mr.Beer Community
Bonsai & Brew

The Great Mexican-Belgian Beer War of 2017

Recommended Posts

I'm still waiting on special ingredients to arrive from Mexico (OK..., Amazon) but for @MrWhy, @MRB Tim, and anyone else looking to craft a Belgian Cerveza, please post your recipe here! ?????

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

First thing, what's it going to be called?  Belgamex?  Mexigan?

 

Second, who is going to be the judge in sampling them.  I'll volunteer.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
33 minutes ago, MiniYoda said:

First thing, what's it going to be called?  Belgamex?  Mexigan?

 

Second, who is going to be the judge in sampling them.  I'll volunteer.

 

The working title of my recipe is Tipo de Belga Dobles -- not very original, but to the point.  As for judging, we would need an impartial, skeptical volunteer to brew and sample the beers -- maybe @MRB Josh R;)

 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Bonsai & Brew said:

I'm still waiting on special ingredients to arrive from Mexico (OK..., Amazon) but for @MrWhy, @MRB Tim, and anyone else looking to craft a Belgian Cerveza, please post your recipe here! ?????

 

GREAT IDEA!!!!!!

 

El La Noche Oscura Cuadruplicar Fuerte (a remix of the Calavera Spiced Chile Stout)

(Thank you @MiniYoda for keeping the Spanish real.)

 

Base:

1 Churchill Nut Brown

1 Robust LME

2 Smooth LME

1 Booster

Steeping Grains:

Chocolate Malt

Black Malt

Honey Malt (go easy!)

Carapils

Hops:

Tettnanger

Cluster

Additionals:

Cacao Nibs

Cinammon Stick

2 Ancho Chiles

Vanilla

Yeast:

T-58

 

I'm really close to dropping the honey malt and booster and adding another robust LME and some lactose sugar to go for more of a chili spiced milk stout....in which case I might just go all in and make a nice Belgian Champurrado Milk Stout.

 

I've got another one I am working up that I will post later.

 

Doing a bit of travelling in a week or so. When I get back I am ordering and brewing some of these up.

 

 

 

 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Mr. Why, I am very sorry for nit-picking, but my mother was from Spain, taught grade school Spanish here in the states, and always corrected my speech, which I liked because it helped me learn.  It's "La" noche, not "El".  But you got the adjective "oscura" in the correct gender, so good job there, sir.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, MrWhy said:

 

GREAT IDEA!!!!!!

 

El Noche Oscura Cuadruplicar Fuerte (a remix of the Calavera Spiced Chile Stout)

Base:

1 Churchill Nut Brown

1 Robust LME

2 Smooth LME

1 Booster

Steeping Grains:

Chocolate Malt

Black Malt

Honey Malt (go easy!)

Carapils

Additionals:

Cacao Nibs

Cinammon Stick

2 Ancho Chiles

Vanilla

Yeast:

T-58

 

I'm really close to dropping the honey malt and booster and adding another robust LME and some lactose sugar to go for more of a chili spiced milk stout....in which case I might just go all in and make a nice Belgian Champurrado Milk Stout.

 

I've got another one I am working up that I will post later.

 

Doing a bit of travelling in a week or so. When I get back I am ordering and brewing some of these up.

 

 

 

 

throw in some tettnang and cluster hops ( favorite in Mexican cervezas and lagers ) and do a  White Labs Mexican lager starter

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, MiniYoda said:

Mr. Why, I am very sorry for nit-picking, but my mother was from Spain, taught grade school Spanish here in the states, and always corrected my speech, which I liked because it helped me learn.  It's "La" noche, not "El".  But you got the adjective "oscura" in the correct gender, so good job there, sir.

 

Great catch!

The official name of the beer is now

La Noche Oscura - 

I was not really sure how to go with quad in spanish......part of me wanted to just go Cuartro Fuerte.........

La Noche Oscura Cuatro Fuerte maybe.....

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, HoppySmile! said:

throw in some tettnang and cluster hops ( favorite in Mexican cervezas and lagers ) and do a  White Labs Mexican lager starter

 

Good call on the hops.

 

I was actually considering Hallertau....but I like your idea better.

What would your hop schedule for those be?

Both at flameout?

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, MrWhy said:

 

Great catch!

The official name of the beer is now

La Noche Oscura - 

I was not really sure how to go with quad in spanish......part of me wanted to just go Cuartro Fuerte.........

La Noche Oscura Cuatro Fuerte maybe.....

 

Looked up "quad" on Google Translate.  Not much help there,   I think the way you have it should work perfectly

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, MrWhy said:

 

Good call on the hops.

 

I was actually considering Hallertau....but I like your idea better.

What would your hop schedule for those be?

Both at flameout?

 

probably 1/2 ounce tettnang @ 60 min. and 1/2 ounce  cluster for aroma @ 10 min. depends too on the extra grain additives, would they be in ounces or pound? i'm assuming ounces? or you cud do halleratau @ 60 min., Tettnang @ 20 min. and cluster @ 5 min.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Bonsai & Brew said:

Finally starting to get a handle on crafting with BeerSmith2.:)

 

 

 

That is some high level crafting right there!!! Piloncillo!!! Chocolate Mexicano!!!

 

An you know what. I am feeling the name. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Or you could take from the Belgian side " Sombre comme la nuit Mexicaine quadruple ale"

or just  "Nuit Mexicaine Quadruple Ale"

 

Sorry, you Flemish speakers, I can't do that.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, MiniYoda said:

Okay, Chocolate Mexicano has my vote.

 

 

I melted this along with the Piloncillo in a saucepan with a couple cups of water prior to adding it to the boil -- it smelled almost too good to use in a batch of beer, but these are the sacrifices we make. B)

 

image.jpeg

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Wait, what.... @Bonsai & Brew - you've actually started brewing this????

 

Okay - a new rule for the Mexican-Belgian War of 2017 -

 

Whatever anyone brews on this thread - at least ONE bottle needs to be saved for each participant -

which so far seems to be me and @Bonsai & Brew.

 

 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm thinking I'll do the following, with the tentative name of El Wit

 

1X Aztec Mexican Cerveza HME

1X Golden LME

4 oz Pilsen

4 oz Red Wheat Flakes

1/2 oz Halltertau

Zest of one lime and 1 tsp crushed coriander X 5 min boil

T-58

 

It's not nearly as fancy as @Bonsai & Brew or @MrWhy, but wits are my favorite Belgian beer, so I'll keep it simple. Both of y'alls sound excellent, though.

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, MRB Tim said:

I'm thinking I'll do the following, with the tentative name of El Wit

 

1X Aztec Mexican Cerveza HME

1X Golden LME

4 oz Pilsen

4 oz Red Wheat Flakes

1/2 oz Halltertau

Zest of one lime and 1 tsp crushed coriander X 5 min boil

T-58

 

It's not nearly as fancy as @Bonsai & Brew or @MrWhy, but wits are my favorite Belgian beer, so I'll keep it simple. Both of y'alls sound excellent, though.

 

No, it may not be as 'fancy,' but at least you will be able to drink it! lol

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

La Noche Oscura Cuadruplicar Fuerte (a remix of the Calavera Spiced Chile Stout)

Version Definitiva

 

Base:

1 Bewitched Amer

2 Pale LME

2 Smooth LME

2 Booster (new boosters...apparently 2 new = 1 old).

Steeping Grains:

2 Row

Munich

Crystal 60

Black (half)

Chocolate (half)

Hops:

El Dorado

Additionals:

Cinammon Stick

2 Ancho Chiles

Vanilla

Yeast:

T-58

----

Decided to go with Bewitched Amber instead of Brown.  Got rid of the robust and upped to 2 pale, 2 smooth, and 1 booster (well I guess it is two now.) We cannot call this a Caudruplicar FUERTE without it being Mas Fuerte. Reworked the grain bill a bit going purely on guts and machismo. Got rid of the cacao because I forgot to order it. Decided on El Dorado hops because El Dorado is a spanish word.

 

Ingredients ordered. This will be the first brew in the queue after I bottle what I've got fermenting.

 

 

 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On April 22, 2017 at 5:18 PM, MrWhy said:

La Noche Oscura Cuadruplicar Fuerte (a remix of the Calavera Spiced Chile Stout)

Version Definitiva

 

Base:

1 Bewitched Amer

2 Pale LME

2 Smooth LME

2 Booster (new boosters...apparently 2 new = 1 old).

Steeping Grains:

2 Row

Munich

Crystal 60

Black (half)

Chocolate (half)

Hops:

El Dorado

Additionals:

Cinammon Stick

2 Ancho Chiles

Vanilla

Yeast:

T-58

----

Decided to go with Bewitched Amber instead of Brown.  Got rid of the robust and upped to 2 pale, 2 smooth, and 1 booster (well I guess it is two now.) We cannot call this a Caudruplicar FUERTE without it being Mas Fuerte. Reworked the grain bill a bit going purely on guts and machismo. Got rid of the cacao because I forgot to order it. Decided on El Dorado hops because El Dorado is a spanish word.

 

Ingredients ordered. This will be the first brew in the queue after I bottle what I've got fermenting.

 

 

 

 

You got an OG on this beast?  Can't wait to see how this one comes out!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/25/2017 at 8:05 PM, Bonsai & Brew said:

 

You got an OG on this beast?  Can't wait to see how this one comes out!

 

No OG.....I run without any gravity LOL.....

 

Still waiting for the ingredients to get her. Plan is to brew it up next weekend.

 

I've still got to work on my Trippel!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, MrWhy said:

 

No OG.....I run without any gravity LOL.....

 

Still waiting for the ingredients to get her. Plan is to brew it up next weekend.

 

I've still got to work on my Trippel!

just thought maybe you ran that recipe through qbrew

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, Bonsai & Brew said:

just thought maybe you ran that recipe through qbrew

 

Alas, I don't have any brewing software.  Almost all of my home computing use is on a Chromebook or my phone, and last I looked I couldn't find a cloud based one. 

 

Plus at this point, I never got around to using a hydrometer or refractometer or anything like that.

 

So many things to get around to! Brewing software......measuring gravity.......a bigger brew pot.....a better spoon.....This is a hobby that never stops.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/22/2017 at 4:18 PM, MrWhy said:

La Noche Oscura Cuadruplicar Fuerte (a remix of the Calavera Spiced Chile Stout)

Version Definitiva

 

Base:

1 Bewitched Amer

2 Pale LME

2 Smooth LME

2 Booster (new boosters...apparently 2 new = 1 old).

Steeping Grains:

2 Row

Munich

Crystal 60

Black (half)

Chocolate (half)

Hops:

El Dorado

Additionals:

Cinammon Stick

2 Ancho Chiles

Vanilla

Yeast:

T-58

----

Decided to go with Bewitched Amber instead of Brown.  Got rid of the robust and upped to 2 pale, 2 smooth, and 1 booster (well I guess it is two now.) We cannot call this a Caudruplicar FUERTE without it being Mas Fuerte. Reworked the grain bill a bit going purely on guts and machismo. Got rid of the cacao because I forgot to order it. Decided on El Dorado hops because El Dorado is a spanish word.

 

Ingredients ordered. This will be the first brew in the queue after I bottle what I've got fermenting.

 

 

 

 

This chica mal is chilling in an ice bath as I type this.

 

I went basically as I said......instead of waiting to dry "stick" the cinammon I cut it up and threw it in with the ancho chile......I used two el dorado hops (1oz) for five minutes. For the grains I went with all the 2 row, munich, and crystal, and half the black and half the chocolate.

 

My wife couldn't find any vanilla beans at the market. (I suspect she did not search with all her heart, mind, and soul.) I've got some vanilla bourbon extract. I am going to put 2 tbl spoons into the wort before I stir and sprinkle the yeast.

 

This is the most audacious brew I have ever brewed.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, MrWhy said:

 

This is the most audacious brew I have ever brewed.

 

If you don't brew it, who will?  Well done! ?

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Bonsai & Brew said:

 

If you don't brew it, who will?  Well done! ?

 

I am right now having buyers remorse about the cinnamon stick.....maybe I should have dry dropped it.......I guess in a year I'll know if I need to rename this El Cinnamonstruo.

 

Just checked on it.  WE'VE GOT KRAUSEN!

 

So far it hasn't overflowed. I'm getting a little better at this whole brewing thing.

 

This one I pitched it at 80. Put it into the fridge set at 63, with a water bottle already in at 80 degrees. (I insert the temp probe into a small bottle of water. That is how I monitor/control for temp.) This meant the fridge was on bringing the temp down already.

 

Just raised it a degree to 64. Will leave it there for the rest of fermentation.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/6/2017 at 5:54 AM, Bonsai & Brew said:

Bottled Tipo de Belga Dobles this morning @ FG 1.015.  The waiting continues...

 

You had a sample of course. Don't lie! We know you had a sample.....

 

How was it????

 

Sacred brewing pact - let's each save a bottle for next Cinco de Mayo. We will coordinate times and open our bottles and drink them at the same time. We will "live" chat our drinking session.  It might be the biggest event the forum has seen in years. I don't know if the Mr. B servers can handle it.....but they have a year to prep so it should be okay.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On May 7, 2017 at 10:16 AM, MrWhy said:

 

You had a sample of course. Don't lie! We know you had a sample.....

 

How was it????

 

Sacred brewing pact - let's each save a bottle for next Cinco de Mayo. We will coordinate times and open our bottles and drink them at the same time. We will "live" chat our drinking session.  It might be the biggest event the forum has seen in years. I don't know if the Mr. B servers can handle it.....but they have a year to prep so it should be okay.

"El Tipo" should be ready to drink about then.  I'm in!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Happy Veinticinco de Mayo!  I celebrated this lesser-known holiday with a Super Burrito, a Tipo de Belga Dobles, and a sizeable portion of chocolate ice cream. ?

 

image.jpeg

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, MrWhy said:

@Bonsai & Brew -

 

I am awaiting a detailed write up on El Tipo!!!!!

 

All things in good time Why.;)  I will say that Tipo has some characterful, almost peppery yeast-derived esters and a smattering of phenolics that are going to be hard to describe.  I'd like to condition it for at least another month and try again!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The good news about my being too busy to get to this project yet is that I'm considering switching from a wit to a saison. The possibilities seem more....interesting, and I was thinking about splitting 2 batches worth of GigaYeast Saison #2 Belgian yeast between 2 LBKs soon anyway. If I go this way, I'll post the recipe later this week.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Okay, having had a bit of time finally to give this the thought it deserves, I've narrowed it down to two possibilities.

 

Sonora Saison

1X Aztec Mexican Cerveza HME

1X Golden LME

4 oz Special Roast

4 oz Pilsen

1/2 oz Motueka hops at flameout

1/2 oz Motueka hops dry hop 1 week before bottling

1X Jalepeno pepper, seeded and pureed, at flameout

2X Habenero pepper, seeded and pureed, at flameout

Zest of 1 lime, soaked in grain alcohol overnight, a week before bottling

Gigayeast Saison #2 Belgian Saison Yeast

 

Cerveza Para Guardar (Bier de Garde)

1X Canadian Blonde HME

1X Pale LME

(Note: The style is supposed to be 6%-8%, and I'm not sure the adjuncts will be enough to push me over. It's supposed to be a strong beer that needs cellaring. 2 HMEs? 2 LMEs? I dunno yet)

4 oz Pilsen

2 oz Biscuit

2 oz Caramunich

1/2 oz Saaz at flameout (If I up the malt, I'll have to up this)

1 oz mesquite flour

1 cup agave nectar

GigaYeast Golden Pear Belgian Yeast

1/2 tsp Irish Moss x 10 min boil, since that yeast is a low flocculator

 

@Bonsai & Brew, @MrWhy, what say you?

 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, MRB Tim said:

Okay, having had a bit of time finally to give this the thought it deserves, I've narrowed it down to two possibilities.

 

Sonora Saison

1X Aztec Mexican Cerveza HME

1X Golden LME

4 oz Special Roast

4 oz Pilsen

1/2 oz Motueka hops at flameout

1/2 oz Motueka hops dry hop 1 week before bottling

1X Jalepeno pepper, seeded and pureed, at flameout

2X Habenero pepper, seeded and pureed, at flameout

Zest of 1 lime, soaked in grain alcohol overnight, a week before bottling

Gigayeast Saison #2 Belgian Saison Yeast

 

Cerveza Para Guardar (Bier de Garde)

1X Canadian Blonde HME

1X Pale LME

(Note: The style is supposed to be 6%-8%, and I'm not sure the adjuncts will be enough to push me over. It's supposed to be a strong beer that needs cellaring. 2 HMEs? 2 LMEs? I dunno yet)

4 oz Pilsen

2 oz Biscuit

2 oz Caramunich

1/2 oz Saaz at flameout (If I up the malt, I'll have to up this)

1 oz mesquite flour

1 cup agave nectar

GigaYeast Golden Pear Belgian Yeast

1/2 tsp Irish Moss x 10 min boil, since that yeast is a low flocculator

 

@Bonsai & Brew, @MrWhy, what say you?

 

 

I like the cut of your jib young man. I didn't want to say it before, but @Bonsai & Brew and @MrWhy (me) were bringing forks and knives to the table and you've been showing up with spoons. Which is fine except we're not serving soup. But now my good man you are sitting down with some real deal silverware and are screaming "bring me the steak!"

 

For beer uno, I am a bit worried about the amount of pepper. But as the title says, this is war and really if someone isn't worried then it isn't really fighting is it?

 

Beer dos, I am a bit concerned that you are letting style dictate choice. Honestly fine fellow, are we not inventing our own style? As I said, beer one I am worried about the pepper which means it is a contender in my book. Cervesa dos I am worried about you failing to have ganas bastante.....seriously...tiene ganar o no????? Take that beer and push it to 9%. 

 

ESTO ES LA GUERRA!!!!

 

@MiniYoda - please feel free to check and correct all Espanol in this  post.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, MrWhy said:

 

I like the cut of your jib young man. I didn't want to say it before, but @Bonsai & Brew and @MrWhy (me) were bringing forks and knives to the table and you've been showing up with spoons. Which is fine except we're not serving soup. But now my good man you are sitting down with some real deal silverware and are screaming "bring me the steak!"

 

For beer uno, I am a bit worried about the amount of pepper. But as the title says, this is war and really if someone isn't worried then it isn't really fighting is it?

 

Beer dos, I am a bit concerned that you are letting style dictate choice. Honestly fine fellow, are we not inventing our own style? As I said, beer one I am worried about the pepper which means it is a contender in my book. Cervesa dos I am worried about you failing to have ganas bastante.....seriously...tiene ganar o no????? Take that beer and push it to 9%. 

 

ESTO ES LA GUERRA!!!!

 

@MiniYoda - please feel free to check and correct all Espanol in this  post.

 

And I was gonna post some droll comment about adding flaked maize to No. 1...?

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, MrWhy said:

I didn't want to say it before, but @Bonsai & Brew and @MrWhy (me) were bringing forks and knives to the table and you've been showing up with spoons

 

Sorry about that! It's been pretty busy around here, and this is the first opportunity I've had to give it some proper thought.

 

12 hours ago, MrWhy said:

For beer uno, I am a bit worried about the amount of pepper.

 

Weeeelllll, I just did a Mango Habenero IPA, using 2 peppers, and it barely came through at all. Granted, the mango and Citra are strong flavors, but so is Saison yeast (at least sometimes).

 

4 hours ago, Bonsai & Brew said:

I am a bit concerned that you are letting style dictate choice

 

Nature of the contest, man. Where's the challenge if I'm just throwing together whatever I want? I think they both sound good, even within style constraints. It's not like either style has super restrictive guidelines, anyway

 

4 hours ago, Bonsai & Brew said:

And I was gonna post some droll comment about adding flaked maize to No. 1...?

 

Nah, if I add an adjunct to that, it'll probably be dextrose to bring out the hops a bit.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, MRB Tim said:

 

Sorry about that! It's been pretty busy around here, and this is the first opportunity I've had to give it some proper thought.

 

 

Weeeelllll, I just did a Mango Habenero IPA, using 2 peppers, and it barely came through at all. Granted, the mango and Citra are strong flavors, but so is Saison yeast (at least sometimes).

 

 

Nature of the contest, man. Where's the challenge if I'm just throwing together whatever I want? I think they both sound good, even within style constraints. It's not like either style has super restrictive guidelines, anyway

 

 

Nah, if I add an adjunct to that, it'll probably be dextrose to bring out the hops a bit.

 

And the war rages on!  Your Saison could definitely be in the running for 2nd Place.;)  I am thinking of doing some comparison taste-testing this weekend with El Tipo and my go-to standard, New Belgium Abbey Dubbel.  I know I told @MrWhy that I was going to wait a month before sampling again, but I am weak.

 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Bonsai & Brew said:

 

And the war rages on!  Your Saison could definitely be in the running for 2nd Place.;)  I am thinking of doing some comparison taste-testing this weekend with El Tipo and my go-to standard, New Belgium Abbey Dubbel.  I know I told @MrWhy that I was going to wait a month before sampling again, but I am weak.

 

 

Just don't forget - @Bonsai & Brew and @MRB Tim - that we are all saving at least on bottle of each mexibelgian (belmex?) for a cinco de mayo fest!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I am going to start working on my next belmexigian brew. I can't let @MRB Tim just run away with second place.....

 

Ideas:

* Belgian/Mexican IPA......not sure where I would go with this but I like the idea.....

* A belgian quad with anejo soaked oak chips...(this is my favorite idea)

* A belgian horchata milk stout.......

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, MrWhy said:

I am going to start working on my next belmexigian brew. I can't let @MRB Tim just run away with second place.....

 

Ideas:

* Belgian/Mexican IPA......not sure where I would go with this but I like the idea.....

* A belgian quad with anejo soaked oak chips...(this is my favorite idea)

* A belgian horchata milk stout.......

 

Cerveza de Hermano, a Mexican variation of a Trappist Single?  I'm on it!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, MrWhy said:

second place.....

 

That's a funny way to spell first

 

2 hours ago, Bonsai & Brew said:

A belgian horchata milk stout.......

 

I would drink that.

 

If I was a better brewer, I would do  a prickly pear lambic, but I am not even close to experienced enough to do that right yet.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I had 2 ideas today, that'll give me a bit more authenticity in my submissions. For the Sonora Saison, instead of soaking the lime zest in everclear, I'll do it in Bacanora, a mescal that's only produced in Sonora. For the Cerveza de Guardar, I'm going to lager it for 3 months, and room-temp condition it for 3 months, to mimic the Winter-Spring conditioning cycle of the original farmhouse ales. Top that!

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
58 minutes ago, MRB Tim said:

I had 2 ideas today, that'll give me a bit more authenticity in my submissions. For the Sonora Saison, instead of soaking the lime zest in everclear, I'll do it in Bacanora, a mescal that's only produced in Sonora. For the Cerveza de Guardar, I'm going to lager it for 3 months, and room-temp condition it for 3 months, to mimic the Winter-Spring conditioning cycle of the original farmhouse ales. Top that!

 

Looks like I better check my inventory to see if I have any Cervezas left!  Nice modifications though -- I'm pretty sure that you just took out my Cerveza de Hermano.;)

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Bonsai & Brew said:

I'm pretty sure that you just took out my Cerveza de Hermano.;)

 

Don't count yourself out yet, I've never tried either of these yet. They look good on paper, but sometimes those beers end up tasting foul. So, I could be committing 6 months of my life to garbage beer for all we know ;)

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, MRB Tim said:

 

Don't count yourself out yet, I've never tried either of these yet. They look good on paper, but sometimes those beers end up tasting foul. So, I could be committing 6 months of my life to garbage beer for all we know ;)

 

These beers are going to be great and will probably create enough buzz in the craft beer world to justify a new BJCP Substyle 34D.  Experimental International Mixed-Style Hybrid Ale!

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Status of Tipo de Belga Dobles. -- I will say that this brew does have a nice Dubbel feel to it.

 

image.jpeg

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@Bonsai & Brew @MRB Tim

 

Tonight it happens.

 

The first tasting of La Noche Fuerte.

 

Approximately 7:00 PM, my time.

 

I will do a full on review. We are talking pics. Interviews with the brewer.  Food pairing recommendations.......

 

Of course, depending on how it turns out it might just be a video of me sobbing an muttering "why did I use so much cinnamon."

 

Stay tuned.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, MrWhy said:

@Bonsai & Brew @MRB Tim

 

Tonight it happens.

 

The first tasting of La Noche Fuerte.

 

Approximately 7:00 PM, my time.

 

I will do a full on review. We are talking pics. Interviews with the brewer.  Food pairing recommendations.......

 

Of course, depending on how it turns out it might just be a video of me sobbing an muttering "why did I use so much cinnamon."

 

Stay tuned.

 

OK Why, I've gathered the family around the iPad and we are anxiously awaiting your review.B)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have opened the first bottle of La Noche Fuerte.

 

Behold.

 

IMG_5116.thumb.JPG.f639493d5b7f3ef31712169727eefaaf.JPG

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, MrWhy said:

I have opened the first bottle of La Noche Fuerte.

 

Behold.

 

IMG_5116.thumb.JPG.f639493d5b7f3ef31712169727eefaaf.JPG

? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ?? ?? ? ? 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This was bottled on May 20, 2017. It is my version of the Mexi-Belgi quad. I have never been able to decide if I am calling it La Noche Obscura or La Noche Fuerte. Whatever. In my mind I just consider it La Noche.

 

I used the Bewitched Amber, 2 pale, 2 smooth, 1 booster, and a whole bunch of steeping/mashing grains including munich, crystal 60, some chocolate and some black malt.  I did 2 ancho chiles, some cinnamon stick, and a liberal dosing of vanilla/bourbon abstract. In addition I went with El Dorado hops.

 

I am going to say it. I am trying my best not be be biased. This is a pretty great beer.

 

The el dorado hops work amazingly well with the cinnamon and chile. The whole thing blends in better than I would have ever imagined. There is nothing that is too overpowering. I was worried about the cinnamon, but it has faded and left a nice subtle flavoring. The chile is providing a good counterbalance to the sweetness of the malt and crystal.

 

I was a bit worried that I fermented this too cool, or cool enough that the flavor of the yeast would not shine through. And in all honestly, that might be the case. I am not picking up as much of the "belgian-y" flavor as I would normally like, but in this case I think it is a good thing. There are enough flavors happening that adding one more might be too much. I would need someone else to taste it and give me honest feedback as to whether this is belgian enough to be belgian.

 

All that being said, I love this beer.

--

edit- one other thing, I am not getting a good fuzzy head on this. But a lot of my beers seem to not have a strong fuzzy head. I might need to start adding carapils and what not.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, MrWhy said:

This was bottled on May 20, 2017. It is my version of the Mexi-Belgi quad. I have never been able to decide if I am calling it La Noche Obscura or La Noche Fuerte. Whatever. In my mind I just consider it La Noche.

 

I used the Bewitched Amber, 2 pale, 2 smooth, 1 booster, and a whole bunch of steeping/mashing grains including munich, crystal 60, some chocolate and some black malt.  I did 2 ancho chiles, some cinnamon stick, and a liberal dosing of vanilla/bourbon abstract. In addition I went with El Dorado hops.

 

I am going to say it. I am trying my best not be be biased. This is a pretty great beer.

 

The el dorado hops work amazingly well with the cinnamon and chile. The whole thing blends in better than I would have ever imagined. There is nothing that is too overpowering. I was worried about the cinnamon, but it has faded and left a nice subtle flavoring. The chile is providing a good counterbalance to the sweetness of the malt and crystal.

 

I was a bit worried that I fermented this too cool, or cool enough that the flavor of the yeast would not shine through. And in all honestly, that might be the case. I am not picking up as much of the "belgian-y" flavor as I would normally like, but in this case I think it is a good thing. There are enough flavors happening that adding one more might be too much. I would need someone else to taste it and give me honest feedback as to whether this is belgian enough to be belgian.

 

All that being said, I love this beer.

--

edit- one other thing, I am not getting a good fuzzy head on this. But a lot of my beers seem to not have a strong fuzzy head. I might need to start adding carapils and what not.

 

Congratulations on La Noche Obscura!  Mind you, I'm not conceding yet, but your description has me thinking that this might be tough to beat.  Good work man!?

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, MrWhy said:

I have opened the first bottle of La Noche Fuerte.

 

Behold.

 

IMG_5116.thumb.JPG.f639493d5b7f3ef31712169727eefaaf.JPG

Why is your hand not an ewok hand? I don't understand ? 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Glad to hear it turned out as good as it sounds!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thank you all my brewing compadres.

 

A day later, and I am still very happy with this cervesa. The ONLY thing I feel that is keeping it from being a hands down cervesa de mucho hombre is that I did not nail the carbonation and the head. Other than that, I feel like the flavor is spot on. 

 

Soy mucho feliz.

 

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/30/2017 at 9:06 PM, Bonsai & Brew said:

Who started this crazy thread anyway?

 

Amigo, brewing history will not forget el hombre de mucho muchacho who began this. And when the Beer Styling Guide puts the Mexigian on it's list, we will raise a glass with a hearty salud.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Bonsai & Brew said:

 

The butterfly has flapped it's wings and the hurricane is forming. We dropped a little pebble and now there are ripples that will be waves.

 

This is not competition. It is sign that we are onto something. 30 years ago someone said "hey. why don't we use more hops." People said "you're loco. No one wants a hoppy bitter beer." But this little brewer persisted and now The Great Brewer forbid you go to a bar and there aren't 12 IPAs on tap....at least for now. Because one day, maybe not in this lifetime, but in one of my upcoming ones, there will be twelve Mexigians on tap and the IPA will be a dusty little handle rarely pulled.

 

This will be worldwide.

 

I am going to stroll into a pub in Manchester and pull up a stool. The bartender (or whatever they are called in Manchester) is going to look me in the eye and say "Oi mate. Fancy a pint?" (Or again, however they ask you if you want a beer in Manchester." And I am going to look him right back in they eye and say "you got any mexigians?" And without missing a beat he will say "Oi. Of course we do. Where do you think you are? Berlin?" (Or some other snarky british reply).  He walk over to the taps and pour me a Resado Aged Quad with agave and ancho chile.  And I will say "Gracias."


At that point I don't know what he is going to do because I am not really sure how much spanish they know off hand in Manchester. I take these things for granted living in Southern California.

 

BUT.....the point is that this little war we are having is going to shake the brewing industry to it's core. We are inventing an entire new category fusing two worlds, two cultures, into one beautiful beer. This is the dawn of a new era.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, MrWhy said:

This is the dawn of a new era.

 

That was an intense read

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, MRB Tim said:

 

That was an intense read

 

I added a sentence. You should re-read it. I think it flows better now.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, MrWhy said:

BUT.....the point is that this little war we are having is going to shake the brewing industry to it's core. We are inventing an entire new category fusing two worlds, two cultures, into one beautiful beer. This is the dawn of a new era.

 

I failed to consider the Butterfly Effect when I brewed El Tipo, but there is no turning back now... 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think I might just completely establish my dominance over this challenge and make a third beer. I'm thinking a hibiscus wit. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, MRB Tim said:

I think I might just completely establish my dominance over this challenge and make a third beer. I'm thinking a hibiscus wit. 

 

A third entry?  I'm in!?

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This is a great thread! I think we're going to make a blog out of this, if you don't mind, @Bonsai & Brew. Maybe even some sort of contest (we'll see)? In any case, after tasting @MRB Tim's awesome Sonoran Saison (seriously really good), I was inspired to make something, too.

My Mexi-Belgo inspired beer will be a Trappist-style Belgian Tripel brewed with tamarind and agave nectar. I will share the recipe in the next few days when I'm done. This will be an all-grain batch, but can be easily converted into PM, full extract or even using Mr. Beer HME products. The hardest part for some of you guys will be getting the Trappist Tripel liquid yeast I'm using, but the Safbrew T-58 should also work just fine.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
31 minutes ago, MRB Josh R said:

This is a great thread! I think we're going to make a blog out of this, if you don't mind, @Bonsai & Brew. Maybe even some sort of contest (we'll see)? In any case, after tasting @MRB Tim's awesome Sonoran Saison (seriously really good), I was inspired to make something, too.

My Mexi-Belgo inspired beer will be a Trappist-style Belgian Tripel brewed with tamarind and agave nectar. I will share the recipe in the next few days when I'm done. This will be an all-grain batch, but can be easily converted into PM, full extract or even using Mr. Beer HME products. The hardest part for some of you guys will be getting the Trappist Tripel liquid yeast I'm using, but the Safbrew T-58 should also work just fine.

+1 on the use of tamarind! I'm excited to hear more!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, MRB Josh R said:

This is a great thread! I think we're going to make a blog out of this, if you don't mind, @Bonsai & Brew. Maybe even some sort of contest (we'll see)? In any case, after tasting @MRB Tim's awesome Sonoran Saison (seriously really good), I was inspired to make something, too.

My Mexi-Belgo inspired beer will be a Trappist-style Belgian Tripel brewed with tamarind and agave nectar. I will share the recipe in the next few days when I'm done. This will be an all-grain batch, but can be easily converted into PM, full extract or even using Mr. Beer HME products. The hardest part for some of you guys will be getting the Trappist Tripel liquid yeast I'm using, but the Safbrew T-58 should also work just fine.

 

An unexpected turn of events as @MRB Josh R enters the fray!  Awesome, Josh!  Looks like we'll need to recruit a new beer judge though.;)

 

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm not sure that my little mini-saison Grisette will stand up to these big boy recipes, but I will try (recipe to follow).?

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So, I finally have a moment to post tasting notes from my saison

 

Appearance: Clear, golden-amber with a creamy, diminishing head

 

Aroma: Slight biscuity malts. Mostly pepper. Lots of pepper, with hop aroma there beneath it but easy to miss. Same goes for saison funk.

 

Taste: Well-balanced malts get overwhelmed pretty quickly by a bell-peppery freshness, which wears off for a little lingering hop bitterness, but pretty mild. Heat builds as you drink. Doesn't taste very saison-ish at all, but very good overall!

Sonora Saison.jpg

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, MRB Tim said:

So, I finally have a moment to post tasting notes from my saison

 

Appearance: Clear, golden-amber with a creamy, diminishing head

 

Aroma: Slight biscuity malts. Mostly pepper. Lots of pepper, with hop aroma there beneath it but easy to miss. Same goes for saison funk.

 

Taste: Well-balanced malts get overwhelmed pretty quickly by a bell-peppery freshness, which wears off for a little lingering hop bitterness, but pretty mild. Heat builds as you drink. Doesn't taste very saison-ish at all, but very good overall!

Sonora Saison.jpg

 

Looks pretty saisony to me -- did you have @MRB Josh R score it?

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Not, like, officially, but he did taste it.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

For Tim's beer, if entered in a BJCP competition, it would most likely go into category 30. Spiced Beer - 30A. Spice, Herb, or Vegetable Beer and not into the saison category.

 

While the saison character is there (dry, peppery, faint barnyard notes), it is a bit muted by the chilies and spices. Tim was going for a Belgo-Mexi saison, but ended up in India, in my opinion...lol. It tastes almost curry-like, with a very subtle, but perceptible warmth as you drink it. Stylistically, I'd give it high scores on technical merit alone. It would lose a couple of points for a lack of balance (the chilies and spices are pretty forward instead of in the background), but this would only be me judging it according to the style guidelines. To me personally, I really like the forward chili and spice flavors. While I probably would have chosen a cream ale or a wheat beer for something like this, I do like the dryness the saison yeast imparts. It's a really tasty beer, especially if you're a fan of chili beers like I am. I wish it had a bit more heat to it, though. But it's still my favorite beer that Tim has made yet.

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Here's a tentative Hibiscus Wit recipe I'm kicking around:

 

1X Canadian Blonde

1X Golden LME

4 oz Pilsen

4 oz White Wheat

2 oz Belgian Aromatic

1 tsp coriander and zest of 1 small orange X 5 min boil

4-6 oz dried hibiscus petals, steeped for 10 minutes and added 1 week before kegging. (Maybe in a secondary? I usually don't bother)

White Labs 400 Belgian Wit

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

First off, you guys are crushing these beers. I mean, this is a transcendent moment and I know that we are changing the world with these beers.

 

While La Noche Fuerte is an outstanding beer and worthy addition, I cannot in good conscience just put one beer into the mix and sit back sipping it for the rest of the year. I am no one hit wonder.

 

SO.....here we go.....

 

Una Otra Noche Fuerte

Base:

2 cans Czech Pilsner

Grains:

1 bag Munich

1 bag Crystal 60

a sprinkling of Chocolate

Additives:

1 cup sugar (type TBD)

1 or 2 Ancho Chiles

1 Vanilla Bean

Anejo Tequila soaked Oak Chips

Hop:

Maybe Columbus, maybe Chinook....still thinking about this...

Yeast:

T-58

 

For this one, I am trying to take some of the sweetness out of the "quads" I've been doing. I want it to be dark and strong, but not AS malty. I'm looking to get the color from the grains, the 60 and the sprinkling of chocolate. And I'm looking to dry it out a bit with the cup (or 1.5) of sugar.

 

BUT DON'T CHANGE THE CHANNEL 'CUZ I'M NOT DONE YET! 

 

Una Sonrisa Brilliante

 

Base: 

2 Cervesa Azteca

Grains:

1 pack pilsner 1 pack munich, 1 pack red wheat

Additives:

1 pale LME

1 cup organic agave

Hops:

Bitter: Simcoe

Flavor/Aroma: Mosaic, El Dorado, Sorachi Ace, Amarillo, German Mandarina

Yeast: T-58

 

This is my take on a heavily hopped Mexigian Imperial IPA. I'm going heavy with citrus style hops.

 

 

 

 

 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Chapter dos.

 

Belgium seeks an alliance with France, with their pretentious-sounding hops and fancy yeasts.  Mexico, undeterred, unleashes the full force of its Cerveza and its own formidable hops to counter the surprise offensive.  The Belga-Franco forces march on -- "Your Ancho chilies will do you no good today Ami!  Prepare the way of the Grisette!" their battle cry.

 

Who will be victorious in this epic battle for brewing dominance?

 

Will the Donkey With No Name rise up once again with a mighty bray?

 

Will the French-speaking Belgian coal miners from Hainut Province regret ever having brewed their Grisette?

 

How will we ever know when this war is actually over?

 

----------------------

 

Petit frere de Saison

 

Aztec Cerveza, 1.87 lb.

Rahr 6-row, 0.5 lb.

Weyermann Vienna, 0.25 lb.

Rahr White wheat, 0.25 lb.

Flaked Rye, 0.25 lb.

El Dorado, 0.25 oz., 15 min.

Nelson Sauvin*, 0.25 oz., 10 min.

Nelson Sauvin*, 0.25 oz., @ f/o

Strisselspalt, 0.5 oz, Day 7 dry-hop

Mangrove Jack's French Saison M29 yeast

 

60 min. mash @ 150 F

30 min. boil

 

OG 1.047

IBU 29

SRM 3

 

*Nelson Sauvin hops were developed in New Zealand.  Any references to them having anything whatsoever to do with France are for creative literary purposes only.

 

And finally, this is your fault @MrWhy.?

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

TASTING NOTES FROM THE SONORA SAISON

--

 

The other night I was sitting at the edge of my bed. I was strumming my guitar and singing an outlaw love song. I was thinking about what she was doing. And when she'd be coming back.

 

I heard small knock on the door. My heart slowed. I went and tentatively opened it. There she was.

 

My donkey.

 

She'd come back.

 

And tied around her neck was a little bag. And in the little bag was a bottle.

 

And tied around the bottle was a little note and all it said was "Sonora Saison."

 

I gave her a hug. She brayed. 

 

Todos estan bueno.

 

Here are my tasting notes for this beer:

 

Excellent pale gold color. The nose is pleasantly light. I am not familiar with the hop, but it has a mild air and evokes a summertime beer.

 

The first sip brings a sense of belgian-y pepper, and then there is the spicy presence of the habanero. It is is a dominant taste, but not overpowering, if that makes any sense. It is not subtle, but it does not overtake the beer. Behind that there is a light, refreshing, subtle citrus presence.

 

I like this beer a lot. It is definitely a complicated brew. There are elements that make it highly drinkable....the pleasant nose, that light citrus in the background, but the complexity brought by the habanero prevents it from being a beer that is guzzled down. It turns into a light, refreshing, sipping beer.

 

As I continue to sip it and it warms up from refrigirator temps,  I am wondering if there is more than just habanero? The habanero flavor is there, but I am getting different heat. Is there ancho there too? I am also, as it warms, digging the aroma more and more. I love the light scent, very mild and pleasant (in a good way) and then as you sip you just get this pepper and spice and heat and a great habanero taste, and then it ends with again this light, sense.

 

I know this is a "saison" but it reminds me much more of almost a re-imagined belgian wit. 

 

If I had another one (or two!) I would experiment with adding a lime, corona style, or even an orange slice blue moon style.

 

  • Like 8

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

FINAL RECIPES

 

Ordering Ingredients today.

 

Here is the final recipe listing for my next two entries.

 

Una Otra Noche Fuerte

HME - 2 Pilsner

LME - 1 pale 

Grains - Victory, Crystal 60, Red Wheat

Additive - 1 cup sugar (type TBD), Mesquite Flower, oak chips soaked in Anejo Tequila, 2 Ancho Chile

Yeast - T-58

Hopped with Warrior Hops

 

Una Sonrisa Brilliante

HME - Azteca

LME - 2 pale

Grains - 2 packs 2 row, 1 pack Crystal 15, 1 pack Red Wheat

Additive - 1 cup sugar (type TBD)

Yeast - T-58

Hopps - bitter with Nugget, late additions of El Dorado, Mosaic, Cascade,  dry hopped with Falcon.

 

 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/16/2017 at 10:58 PM, MrWhy said:

TASTING NOTES FROM THE SONORA SAISON

--

 

The other night I was sitting at the edge of my bed. I was strumming my guitar and singing an outlaw love song. I was thinking about what she was doing. And when she'd be coming back.

 

I heard small knock on the door. My heart slowed. I went and tentatively opened it. There she was.

 

My donkey.

 

She'd come back.

 

And tied around her neck was a little bag. And in the little bag was a bottle.

 

And tied around the bottle was a little note and all it said was "Sonora Saison."

 

I gave her a hug. She brayed. 

 

Todos estan bueno.

 

Here are my tasting notes for this beer:

 

Excellent pale gold color. The nose is pleasantly light. I am not familiar with the hop, but it has a mild air and evokes a summertime beer.

 

The first sip brings a sense of belgian-y pepper, and then there is the spicy presence of the habanero. It is is a dominant taste, but not overpowering, if that makes any sense. It is not subtle, but it does not overtake the beer. Behind that there is a light, refreshing, subtle citrus presence.

 

I like this beer a lot. It is definitely a complicated brew. There are elements that make it highly drinkable....the pleasant nose, that light citrus in the background, but the complexity brought by the habanero prevents it from being a beer that is guzzled down. It turns into a light, refreshing, sipping beer.

 

As I continue to sip it and it warms up from refrigirator temps,  I am wondering if there is more than just habanero? The habanero flavor is there, but I am getting different heat. Is there ancho there too? I am also, as it warms, digging the aroma more and more. I love the light scent, very mild and pleasant (in a good way) and then as you sip you just get this pepper and spice and heat and a great habanero taste, and then it ends with again this light, sense.

 

I know this is a "saison" but it reminds me much more of almost a re-imagined belgian wit. 

 

If I had another one (or two!) I would experiment with adding a lime, corona style, or even an orange slice blue moon style.

 

 

 

Love the stories, @MrWhy!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
41 minutes ago, KaijuBrew said:

 

 

Love the stories, @MrWhy!

 

Gracias!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Big announcement.

 

I'll wait for it to quiet down. 

 

Thank you.

 

Drum roll please..........

 

I have decided on what tequila I will be using for my Otra Noche Fuerte.

 

Gran Centenario Anejo.

 

I wish could say this came after extensive taste testings, but really I looked up some "well regarded" anejos (whatever that means) within my price range and this was the only one that had in the market.

 

That being said, sometimes you just trust the universe so I purchased and just finished sipping some on ice. I love the flavor and think it and the oak chips will add a lot to this beer.

 

I am still deciding whether I really want to go with an ancho chile here.....starting to think less might be better (a dios mio what is happening to me??????).

 

Just let the oak, tequila, and mesquite flower carry the beer..

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Doing a double brew today.

 

La Otra Noche

Grains - Victory, Crystal 60, Red Wheat Flakes - mashed at 160-150 for 50 minutes

Add 1 Pale LME, 2 cups powdered coconut sugar

Bring to boil

At boil add 1 pack mesquite flour, 2 diced ancho chiles

Add 2 packs warrior hops

Boil all 5-6 minutes

Flameout, add 2 czech pilsner HMEs

Ice bath,

Pitch T-58

Put in the ferment fridge set at 70 degrees.

 

Just finished this and it smelled fantastic.  

 

Already started the Stralende Sonrisa! (Stralende is dutch for bright).

 

Here is the plan for this one -

Grains - 2 packs 2 row, Cyrstal 15, Red wheat flakes, mashing at 160 - 150 for 50 minutes 

Bring to boil, stir in 2 cups agave nectar

Nugget Hops - 10 minutes

Mosiac, El Dorado, Faclon, Cascade - 5 minutes

Flameout, add Pale LME, Aztec HME

Ice Bath, pitch T-58

Ferment at 70 degrees.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If I've done anything truly wonderful during my short but storied brewing career, it would be dry-hopping Petit frere de Saison with equal amounts of Strisselspalt and Nelson Sauvin on Day 10!  FG is 1.002.?

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Bonsai & Brew said:

If I've done anything truly wonderful during my short but storied brewing career, it would be dry-hopping Petit frere de Saison with equal amounts of Strisselspalt and Nelson Sauvin on Day 10!  FG is 1.002.?

How much did you put in?

I have also got nice results in wheat beer with the Nelson and Galaxy.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On ‎7‎/‎12‎/‎2017 at 7:31 PM, MRB Tim said:

Here's a tentative Hibiscus Wit recipe I'm kicking around:

 

1X Canadian Blonde

1X Golden LME

4 oz Pilsen

4 oz White Wheat

2 oz Belgian Aromatic

1 tsp coriander and zest of 1 small orange X 5 min boil

4-6 oz dried hibiscus petals, steeped for 10 minutes and added 1 week before kegging. (Maybe in a secondary? I usually don't bother)

White Labs 400 Belgian Wit

That looks interesting, but in making a Wit beer, why not much wheat - e.g. using the Bavarian Weiss HME?

The sweet orange peel does do well in the wheat beer.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Nickfixit said:

How much did you put in?

I have also got nice results in wheat beer with the Nelson and Galaxy.

 

Just ¼ oz. or so of each, but nice aroma and flavor in my hydrometer sample have raised my expectation for the finished beer!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Nickfixit said:

That looks interesting, but in making a Wit beer, why not much wheat - e.g. using the Bavarian Weiss HME?

 

A few reasons. Having done this for a few years now, using the most obvious choice for the HME seems kind of lazy, or at least not very creative. I love wheat beers, so I've used BW for what seems like 50 beers now, and it's getting a little boring. There are so many choices, why not switch it up? With that said, you're right that it would leave me a little low on the wheat malt. I'll probably either up it to 12 oz white wheat or add another Golden LME. Also, hibiscus is a very subtle flavor, and it wouldn't take much to cover it up completely. The blonde is much more neutral to my palette.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
46 minutes ago, MRB Tim said:

 

A few reasons. Having done this for a few years now, using the most obvious choice for the HME seems kind of lazy, or at least not very creative. I love wheat beers, so I've used BW for what seems like 50 beers now, and it's getting a little boring. There are so many choices, why not switch it up? With that said, you're right that it would leave me a little low on the wheat malt. I'll probably either up it to 12 oz white wheat or add another Golden LME. Also, hibiscus is a very subtle flavor, and it wouldn't take much to cover it up completely. The blonde is much more neutral to my palette.

 

Have you been reading @MrWhy's Brewing Manifesto again?;)

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites