Mr.Beer Community
DrakMan

Dortmunder Seasonal - Lager in a cooler

Hello All,

I am looking for suggestions on fermenting the Dortmunder Seasonal Lager (cold) in a cooler using frozen water bottles. Has anyone done this successfully keeping the temperature around 55 degrees? I plan to get a second refrigerator in the future to make this easier.  Any and all feedback would be greatly appreciated...

• Like 1

While dependent upon the ambient temperature, I have successfully lagered in a Coleman (standard) cooler, rotating two frozen 1-liter water bottles every 12 hours religiously. 

• Like 1

You can absolutely ferment lagers -- the only thing that I would add to Sarge's comment is get yourself a remote AccuRite weather station and place the transponder in the cooler with your LBK.  I call this technique "remote perving" and it makes keeping an eye on temperature very easy.  Good luck!

• Like 3

Just now, scouterbill said:

Insert shameless plug here! :lol:

He has been taking sales notes from me! 

I'm getting employee of the month this time @MRB Tim!

• Like 1

Thanks to all for your helpful advice. I plan to get the temperature controller, along with the fridge, to ferment and condition these lagers that require lower temperatures. Hopefully the flip cooler and frozen water bottles will suffice in the meantime...I am really anxious to make this Dortmunder!

• Like 1

I bought an apartment fridge and installed a temp controller. Fermented at 54° for three weeks. It came out so clear and delicious. I've had it in there conditioning for several weeks and it's getting even better. This investment of about $100 was so worth it. I can ferment 2 lbks at a time in there and modulate the temps easily. Set and forget. 

• Like 4