Jump to content
Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
76shovel

long play IPA short on fizz

Recommended Posts

I'm on my 4th beer batch, still using the EZ button with the canned mixes.  I was a bit early with the very first mix but learned to slow down and all has been good since.  My first bottle of Long Play IPA seems a bit flat. I have been sticking to a 3 week fermentation, 3 weeks carbonation then into the fridge schedule.  The bottles are are firm and this batch as been refrigerated for 10 days now. When I cracked the lid there was a slight pressure release but virtually no head when poured and no bubbles rising in the glass. Tastes OK,  just kinda flat.  I will have an open LBK in about 2 weeks and I have another can of Long Play mix on the shelf.  When it comes time to bottle should I maybe up the ante on the sugar?

 

edit to add: These are the 750ml bottles using two carb drops as per instructions.

 

 Thanks

 Mark

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Are you carbonating and conditioning at 70 or higher?

 

2 carb drops is plenty.  Most Mr. Beer batches have little head.  Does it taste properly carbonated?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, RickBeer said:

Are you carbonating and conditioning at 70 or higher?

 

2 carb drops is plenty.  Most Mr. Beer batches have little head.  Does it taste properly carbonated?

 

 I'm no expert, tastes "ok" to me,  judging by your first response I may need to raise the temp though.  The basement room is holding at 68.5 the two LBKs I have going right now are showing 68 to 68.5. My last 3 mixes came out with steady bubbles rising in the glass.  Like I said, the rest of the bottles seem firm so I was surprised. I didn't actually squeeze this one before I opened it.  Maybe it was just that particular bottle, I'll try another later today and see if it's similar.

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Temps like those are good for fermenting, not for carbonating and conditioning.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, RickBeer said:

Temps like those are good for fermenting, not for carbonating and conditioning.

 

Thanks

Thinking about it, my basement is a few degrees cooler now than it was this winter when I started this hobby. Outside temps are rising and the furnace is not running much, if at all.   I must adapt.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If it's mid 60s, then plan on 50% more time.  If it's much lower, warm it up.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

thanks,

I have 2 LBKs on a rack and just now came up with a thermometer to hang between them, it currently shows 66 degrees. I put a 60 watt lightbulb on the shelf below. The LBKs are shielded from the light I just hope to raise the ambient temp a few degrees.  I have a porter carbonating on that same shelf, it has a couple more weeks to go but now I might extend that.  I will likely leave my flatish already refrigerated IPA as-is instead of screwing it up entirely.

 

 Mark

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The area i use for fermenting/carbing/conditioning ranges from 65 to 68 (fermenting is in the 65 corner and carbing/conditioning is over in the 68 corner and i give minimum 4 weeks due to the lower temp. so far not one single flat/under carbed beer.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, 76shovel said:

thanks,

I have 2 LBKs on a rack and just now came up with a thermometer to hang between them, it currently shows 66 degrees. I put a 60 watt lightbulb on the shelf below. The LBKs are shielded from the light I just hope to raise the ambient temp a few degrees.  I have a porter carbonating on that same shelf, it has a couple more weeks to go but now I might extend that.  I will likely leave my flatish already refrigerated IPA as-is instead of screwing it up entirely.

 

 Mark

You don't want to raise the LBKs temps...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, 76shovel said:

thanks,

I have 2 LBKs on a rack and just now came up with a thermometer to hang between them, it currently shows 66 degrees. I put a 60 watt lightbulb on the shelf below. The LBKs are shielded from the light I just hope to raise the ambient temp a few degrees.  I have a porter carbonating on that same shelf, it has a couple more weeks to go but now I might extend that.  I will likely leave my flatish already refrigerated IPA as-is instead of screwing it up entirely.

 

 Mark

66 degrees for your wort temp is great, no need to raise it.  It's when you've bottled the beer and it's carbonating/conditioning that you want the temps 70+.  It's not going to hurt the beer if it's a few degrees cooler, it'll simply take longer to mature.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 hours ago, 76shovel said:

I'm on my 4th beer batch, still using the EZ button with the canned mixes.  I was a bit early with the very first mix but learned to slow down and all has been good since.  My first bottle of Long Play IPA seems a bit flat. I have been sticking to a 3 week fermentation, 3 weeks carbonation then into the fridge schedule.  The bottles are are firm and this batch as been refrigerated for 10 days now. When I cracked the lid there was a slight pressure release but virtually no head when poured and no bubbles rising in the glass. Tastes OK,  just kinda flat.  I will have an open LBK in about 2 weeks and I have another can of Long Play mix on the shelf.  When it comes time to bottle should I maybe up the ante on the sugar?

 

edit to add: These are the 750ml bottles using two carb drops as per instructions.

 

 Thanks

 Mark

You should condition for at least at month. Most people here follow the 3-4 method. 3 weeks fermenting 4 weeks conditioning.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks for the replies, I tested another bottle of the LP last night and it's same as the first, almost no head and very very minimal bubbles rising when you hold the glass to a light. I won't hold a grudge against it as it's still very drinkable.   I will extend my conditioning time on the next batch.

 

Thanks again.

 

 

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...