Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
76shovel

long play IPA short on fizz

I'm on my 4th beer batch, still using the EZ button with the canned mixes.  I was a bit early with the very first mix but learned to slow down and all has been good since.  My first bottle of Long Play IPA seems a bit flat. I have been sticking to a 3 week fermentation, 3 weeks carbonation then into the fridge schedule.  The bottles are are firm and this batch as been refrigerated for 10 days now. When I cracked the lid there was a slight pressure release but virtually no head when poured and no bubbles rising in the glass. Tastes OK,  just kinda flat.  I will have an open LBK in about 2 weeks and I have another can of Long Play mix on the shelf.  When it comes time to bottle should I maybe up the ante on the sugar?

edit to add: These are the 750ml bottles using two carb drops as per instructions.

Thanks

Mark

Are you carbonating and conditioning at 70 or higher?

2 carb drops is plenty.  Most Mr. Beer batches have little head.  Does it taste properly carbonated?

2 hours ago, RickBeer said:

Are you carbonating and conditioning at 70 or higher?

2 carb drops is plenty.  Most Mr. Beer batches have little head.  Does it taste properly carbonated?

I'm no expert, tastes "ok" to me,  judging by your first response I may need to raise the temp though.  The basement room is holding at 68.5 the two LBKs I have going right now are showing 68 to 68.5. My last 3 mixes came out with steady bubbles rising in the glass.  Like I said, the rest of the bottles seem firm so I was surprised. I didn't actually squeeze this one before I opened it.  Maybe it was just that particular bottle, I'll try another later today and see if it's similar.

• Like 1

Temps like those are good for fermenting, not for carbonating and conditioning.

3 hours ago, RickBeer said:

Temps like those are good for fermenting, not for carbonating and conditioning.

Thanks

Thinking about it, my basement is a few degrees cooler now than it was this winter when I started this hobby. Outside temps are rising and the furnace is not running much, if at all.   I must adapt.

If it's mid 60s, then plan on 50% more time.  If it's much lower, warm it up.

• Like 2

thanks,

I have 2 LBKs on a rack and just now came up with a thermometer to hang between them, it currently shows 66 degrees. I put a 60 watt lightbulb on the shelf below. The LBKs are shielded from the light I just hope to raise the ambient temp a few degrees.  I have a porter carbonating on that same shelf, it has a couple more weeks to go but now I might extend that.  I will likely leave my flatish already refrigerated IPA as-is instead of screwing it up entirely.

Mark

The area i use for fermenting/carbing/conditioning ranges from 65 to 68 (fermenting is in the 65 corner and carbing/conditioning is over in the 68 corner and i give minimum 4 weeks due to the lower temp. so far not one single flat/under carbed beer.

3 hours ago, 76shovel said:

thanks,

I have 2 LBKs on a rack and just now came up with a thermometer to hang between them, it currently shows 66 degrees. I put a 60 watt lightbulb on the shelf below. The LBKs are shielded from the light I just hope to raise the ambient temp a few degrees.  I have a porter carbonating on that same shelf, it has a couple more weeks to go but now I might extend that.  I will likely leave my flatish already refrigerated IPA as-is instead of screwing it up entirely.

Mark

You don't want to raise the LBKs temps...

13 hours ago, 76shovel said:

thanks,

Mark

66 degrees for your wort temp is great, no need to raise it.  It's when you've bottled the beer and it's carbonating/conditioning that you want the temps 70+.  It's not going to hurt the beer if it's a few degrees cooler, it'll simply take longer to mature.

23 hours ago, 76shovel said:

I'm on my 4th beer batch, still using the EZ button with the canned mixes.  I was a bit early with the very first mix but learned to slow down and all has been good since.  My first bottle of Long Play IPA seems a bit flat. I have been sticking to a 3 week fermentation, 3 weeks carbonation then into the fridge schedule.  The bottles are are firm and this batch as been refrigerated for 10 days now. When I cracked the lid there was a slight pressure release but virtually no head when poured and no bubbles rising in the glass. Tastes OK,  just kinda flat.  I will have an open LBK in about 2 weeks and I have another can of Long Play mix on the shelf.  When it comes time to bottle should I maybe up the ante on the sugar?

edit to add: These are the 750ml bottles using two carb drops as per instructions.

Thanks

Mark

You should condition for at least at month. Most people here follow the 3-4 method. 3 weeks fermenting 4 weeks conditioning.

• Like 1

Thanks for the replies, I tested another bottle of the LP last night and it's same as the first, almost no head and very very minimal bubbles rising when you hold the glass to a light. I won't hold a grudge against it as it's still very drinkable.   I will extend my conditioning time on the next batch.

Thanks again.

• Like 1