Mr.Beer Community
KaijuBrew

3rd partial mash recipe - Hop Stimulator by Funky Buddha clone!

I decided to break in my new 2G fermenter by brewing the Funky Buddha Hop Stimulator clone!

This recipe uses a lot of grain and I am getting a lot of great color from the seep.

I am very impressed with the Hop Stimulator kit.  Not included in the description are printed stick on labels!

Cool stuff.  It says it only needs to condition for 2 weeks so it should not be long before I give it a try!

PS - Kudos to Josh R and Mr Why for helping me with details of the 2G fermenter and the clips and bottling wand use on this fermenter.

IMG_2728.jpg

IMG_2725.jpg

• Like 3

All brewed!  Seep resulted in a very colorful wort even before adding LMEs!

IMG_2732.jpg

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, KaijuBrew said:

Ready to ferment!

IMG_2736.jpg

Nice brewing there @KaijuBrew!

Hey - If you were to stand an LBK up next to that, how does the size compare?

• Like 2

Let me get a photo for you.  I brewed a chug-a-lugger in an LBK this afternoon too!

• Like 1

Here is the LBK v 2G photo.  I have 4 batches going now!  1776 Ale, Naughty Cream Ale, IPA Hop Initiator, Chug-a-lugger!

IMG_2742.jpg

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, KaijuBrew said:

Here is the LBK v 2G photo.  I have 4 batches going now!  1776 Ale, Naughty Cream Ale, IPA Hop Initiator, Chug-a-lugger!

IMG_2742.jpg

Gonna need some more bottles!  LOL!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, KaijuBrew said:

Gonna need some more bottles!  LOL!

Time to start drinking up.

• Like 1

The Hop Stimulator is now 24 hours in and the yeast are doing their thing!  I love how in the clear container I can see what the yeast are doing to the wort!  It's like a bubbly snow storm in there!

I am including a short video where you can see it!

IMG_2745.m4v

• Like 2

I just finished brewing mine!

Mine is in the LBK.......man I'm hoping this doesn't explode. Working this temps like a champ right now.

Good brew, right?

Quick question @KaijuBrew -

How did you understand the hopping directions? I get the nuggets....but for the rest....did you take half a pack and boil that for five, then freeze the rest, and are going to dry hop the half AND the other hops???

I just ended up putting one pack of each in for 5.....and am going to use the other pack of each for a dry hop.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, MrWhy said:

I just finished brewing mine!

Mine is in the LBK.......man I'm hoping this doesn't explode. Working this temps like a champ right now.

Good brew, right?

Quick question @KaijuBrew -

How did you understand the hopping directions? I get the nuggets....but for the rest....did you take half a pack and boil that for five, then freeze the rest, and are going to dry hop the half AND the other hops???

I just ended up putting one pack of each in for 5.....and am going to use the other pack of each for a dry hop.

I puzzled over that too!

i ended up putting half of one packet of each hop in the boil. Then will dry hop 1.5 packets of each. I went that way because they said to freeze the opened packs. 

In any event, looking forward to trying.  Note it says to condition 2 weeks which is short!

• Like 1

Each hop addition in that recipe is 1/2 oz of hops, which is one full packet.

2 hours ago, MRB Josh R said:

Each hop addition in that recipe is 1/2 oz of hops, which is one full packet.

Thanks Josh.  Okay - given that I brewed 3 days ago (Saturday) and only put half the hops needed into the boil, what should I do at this point?  Just wait for the dry hop 5 days before bottling and put the rest in?

Dry hop part now and then the rest 5 days before?

Thanks!

1 minute ago, KaijuBrew said:

Thanks Josh.  Okay - given that I brewed 3 days ago (Saturday) and only put half the hops needed into the boil, what should I do at this point?  Just wait for the dry hop 5 days before bottling and put the rest in?

Dry hop part now and then the rest 5 days before?

Thanks!

Just wait to put them all in 5 days before. If you put them in now, they may contribute some grassy flavors.

• Like 1

Just now, MRB Josh R said:

Just wait to put them all in 5 days before. If you put them in now, they may contribute some grassy flavors.

Thanks Josh!

PS - the fermentation is not as bubbly as day 1 and 2 but it is still going!

PPS - do you like those fermentation cooler bags as a way to cool the 2G fermenter?

In fact, I would dry-hop half at 5 days, and the other half at 3 days for the most aroma.

2 minutes ago, KaijuBrew said:

Thanks Josh!

PS - the fermentation is not as bubbly as day 1 and 2 but it is still going!

PPS - do you like those fermentation cooler bags as a way to cool the 2G fermenter?

Never used them. I have a temperature controlled brewery. But I imagine they would work fine with the 2G. If you are referring to the Keg jackets we sell, those will not fit the 2G.

2 minutes ago, MRB Josh R said:

In fact, I would dry-hop half at 5 days, and the other half at 3 days for the most aroma.

Okay - but I think I will need to go out and get another muslin sack to do two dry hops.  I only have one left.  I do have some cheese cloth . . . 

The instructions said to boil the muslin sack to sanitize it before adding the hops and dry hopping.  Hopefully I can do that and still get the hops in the bag!

5 minutes ago, KaijuBrew said:

Okay - but I think I will need to go out and get another muslin sack to do two dry hops.  I only have one left.  I do have some cheese cloth . . . 

The instructions said to boil the muslin sack to sanitize it before adding the hops and dry hopping.  Hopefully I can do that and still get the hops in the bag!

Honestly, I don't even use muslin sacks that often. I just toss the hops in. But I also cold-crash before bottling so I don't get hops in the spigot. Alternatively, you can siphon the beer out using a racking cane or auto-siphon instead of using the spigot if you go this route. This doesn't work as well with the LBK, though.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, KaijuBrew said:

I boil 10 min. Then soak in StarSan 10 min, also sanitize a drinking glass, then i put the sack in the glass, open the sack and fold the opening of the sack over the mouth of the glass and pour in hops.....never had an issue getting the hops in using this method.

• Like 1

On 4/29/2017 at 3:34 PM, KaijuBrew said:

I decided to break in my new 2G fermenter by brewing the Funky Buddha Hop Stimulator clone!

This recipe uses a lot of grain and I am getting a lot of great color from the seep.

I am very impressed with the Hop Stimulator kit.  Not included in the description are printed stick on labels!

Cool stuff.  It says it only needs to condition for 2 weeks so it should not be long before I give it a try!

PS - Kudos to Josh R and Mr Why for helping me with details of the 2G fermenter and the clips and bottling wand use on this fermenter.

On 4/29/2017 at 3:34 PM, KaijuBrew said:

IMG_2728.jpg

IMG_2725.jpg

Okay - Hop Stimulator was bottled this weekend and the first taste was GREAT!

Also, thanks to @Josh R for sending me the adapter for my bottling wand.  I was skeptical that it would stay in the 2G fermenter spigot during bottling but it did!

I was using too much hose with the bottling wand before on my LBKs so I think the shorter tube adapter to the wand is the way to go!

Thanks for all the help @hotrod3539 and @MrWhy too!

• Like 4

Today is the day!  First taste of conditioned Funky Buddha Hop Stimulator and it is awesome!  Great clear golden color.  A wonderful, almost peppery Hop taste.  And no extract tang to the taste.  Very happy with this recipie!

IMG_3507.jpg

• Like 7

Today is the day!  First taste of conditioned Funky Buddha Hop Stimulator and it is awesome!  Great clear golden color.  A wonderful, almost peppery Hop taste.  And no extract tang to the taste.  Very happy with this recipie!

IMG_3507.jpg

I am going to say that this is my best brew yet!

• Like 1

I really like this brew.  It is without any excuse a tasty brew.  No weird after tastes, a unique bright and bold flavor.  It does not taste like something I could buy which makes it something you can only get by making yourself.  I see that this brew is out of stock on the site so I hope they remedy that soon!

@MrWhy how are you enjoying yours?

• Like 3

13 minutes ago, KaijuBrew said:

I really like this brew.  It is without any excuse a tasty brew.  No weird after tastes, a unique bright and bold flavor.  It does not taste like something I could buy which makes it something you can only get by making yourself.  I see that this brew is out of stock on the site so I hope they remedy that soon!

Yeah, it was a fairly limited recipe due to the limited amount of Citra we could get. But you can still piece this recipe together and substitute the Citra for Falconers Flight (it has Citra in it, and is a great blend for any DIPA like this). 

• Like 2

Gotta say - partial mash recipes are the way to go for well rounded beers with tastes that are unapologetically good - no qualifiers.  Just very good tasting beers.

• Like 3

I've actually sold more of this recipe in our physical store than any other recipe. Now I'm out of Citra AND Amarillo in the store...lol. But Falconers Flight and Mosaic seem to be suitable subs for most people.

• Like 1

Partial mash also feels more like you are doing something to make the beer.  It is very easy - like brewing a big batch of tea.  And it really moderates the taste of an all extract beer.

• Like 4

I've actually sold more of this recipe in our physical store than any other recipe. Now I'm out of Citra AND Amarillo in the store...lol. But Falconers Flight and Mosaic seem to be suitable subs for most people.

It is a very good beer.  It makes me curious to try the real thing. I do not have a strong sense of smell but this one I could really smell the hops when I opened the bottle!  That was a delight.

Just now, KaijuBrew said:

Partial mash also feels more like you are doing something to make the beer.  It is very easy - like brewing a big batch of tea.  And it really moderates the taste of an all extract beer.

Indeed. It's amazing how much the flavor and body of a beer can change with a simple 50 cent addition of grains. This is why I pushed so hard for partial mash recipes last year. A little goes a long way with only an extra 30 mins. Most people are willing to spend the money and the time for that kind of improvement.

• Like 5

Just now, KaijuBrew said:

It is a very good beer.  It makes me curious to try the real thing. I do not have a strong sense of smell but this one I could really smell the hops when I opened the bottle!  That was a delight.

The real thing is amazing. I was actually very surprised that this came out so similar. Theirs is a bit fresher, of course, due to the whole cone hops they use, but we did well for the limited ingredients we have, I think. It was an ambitious beer for us to do because of the shortage of Citra, but I'm glad we did it. 

• Like 2

Indeed. It's amazing how much the flavor and body of a beer can change with a simple 50 cent addition of grains. This is why I pushed so hard for partial mash recipes last year. A little goes a long way with only an extra 30 mins. Most people are willing to spend the money and the time for that kind of improvement.

Thank you Josh!  It really does make a difference to do the partial mash recipes.  At this point I can't see brewing anything else.  The tastes are much better and it feels more fun to make. 

I am not ready to take on full all grain brewing yet.  But I really like doing partial mash.

I appreciate that Mr Beer keeps developing new partial mash recipes too and you can search for recipes by partial mash on the store.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, KaijuBrew said:

Thank you Josh!  It really does make a difference to do the partial mash recipes.  At this point I can't see brewing anything else.  The tastes are much better and it feels more fun to make. 

I am not ready to take on full all grain brewing yet.  But I really like doing partial mash.

I appreciate that Mr Beer keeps developing new partial mash recipes too and you can search for recipes by partial mash on the store.

There's a lot more to come once the store gets settled in. I have a lot of recipes in plan for this winter. Plus we will be bringing in a lot of new hops and grains.

• Like 2

My partial grain pipeline is just coming in now.  I have El Gorditio Lager and Funky Buddha ready now.

Coming soon are naughty cream ale, brown bag special, dry river IPA, and even a partial mash experiment with the American ale extract that I formulated using advice on the forums here!

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, MRB Josh R said:

There's a lot more to come once the store gets settled in. I have a lot of recipes in plan for this winter. Plus we will be bringing in a lot of new hops and grains.

@MRB Josh R what would you recommend I follow the funky Buddha with?  I have a Sir Kennth bottled as well.  Just wondering what partial mash you are most proud of after these two great brews.

My partial grain pipeline is just coming in now.  I have El Gorditio Lager and Funky Buddha ready now.

Coming soon are naughty cream ale, brown bag special, dry river IPA, and even a partial mash experiment with the American ale extract that I formulated using advice on the forums here!

The shortest lifespan of any beer that I've brewed so far was the El Gordito partial mash, an easy delicious recipe.  I did save one bottle for the archive but it's only a matter of time...

• Like 2

14 hours ago, KaijuBrew said:

@MRB Josh R what would you recommend I follow the funky Buddha with?  I have a Sir Kennth bottled as well.  Just wondering what partial mash you are most proud of after these two great brews.

Probably the Lock, Stock, and Barrel stout is my #1 favorite. But it takes a lot of patience and time to make. Make it now and it will be ready in time for the holidays (Calavera Stout, too). I also really like the Austin Pils and Zombie Fest Lager if you have the ability to cold-ferment lager yeasts. The newest beer, Golden Empire IPA is also really nice. Very simple, too. And the Salty Dawg Gose is my favorite summertime beer. It's also good when you sub the grapefruit for watermelon instead.

• Like 1

Probably the Lock, Stock, and Barrel stout is my #1 favorite. But it takes a lot of patience and time to make. Make it now and it will be ready in time for the holidays (Calavera Stout, too). I also really like the Austin Pils and Zombie Fest Lager if you have the ability to cold-ferment lager yeasts. The newest beer, Golden Empire IPA is also really nice. Very simple, too. And the Salty Dawg Gose is my favorite summertime beer. It's also good when you sub the grapefruit for watermelon instead.

Thanks @MRB Josh R!  I do have a batch of lock stock and barrel conditioning!

Trying to order some more stuff online but the store seems to not be able to fill orders that involve "no rinse cleanser".

I plan to order another Funky Buddha, as well as the Calavera Stout and Golden Empire once the store can take orders again.

• Like 1

I am unable to replicate the issue so it may be on your end? Try ordering through a different browser perhaps.

If it's not on your end, I'll have our staff take a look at it on Wednesday. Everyone here, other than myself as I'm running the physical store on Saturdays, is off for a 4-day weekend for Independence day and so they won't be back until Wednesday morning.

Ok, it looks like there is an issue with orders being placed right now. I'm going to make some calls and see if we can get it fixed.

10 minutes ago, MRB Josh R said:

I am unable to replicate the issue so it may be on your end? Try ordering through a different browser perhaps.

If it's not on your end, I'll have our staff take a look at it on Wednesday. Everyone here, other than myself as I'm running the physical store on Saturdays, is off for a 4-day weekend for Independence day and so they won't be back until Wednesday morning.

After dealing with technical issues, you'll have the perfect opportunity to help yourself to some of those brews that  @MRB Tim has stashed under his desk!

Edited by Bonsai & Brew
work b4 pleasure

2 minutes ago, MRB Josh R said:

Ok, it looks like there is an issue with orders being placed right now. I'm going to make some calls and see if we can get it fixed.

Cool. The error that pops up when ordering is:  

• The requested quantity for "No-Rinse Cleanser" is not available.

15 hours ago, KaijuBrew said:

It is a very good beer.  It makes me curious to try the real thing

I got to try it when I was at Funky Buddha in May of 2016.   It was my favorite of my 4 beer sampler and naturally I had a couple more before I left that day.  :)

funky2.jpg.21ab673d52a8003ed6da0fc89de7c0cc.jpgfunky3.thumb.jpg.9b1f95f4497ed8a4fdfbe207bfc170e8.jpg Funky.thumb.jpg.c22af839aee1604f49ac40a50a06dd8a.jpg

• Like 2

5 hours ago, KaijuBrew said:

Cool. The error that pops up when ordering is:  

• The requested quantity for "No-Rinse Cleanser" is not available.

This issue has been resolved.

• Like 2

On 6/30/2017 at 0:39 PM, KaijuBrew said:

I absolutely love this beer. It turned out really well, and this is in no way due to my skill as a brewer. Great recipe.

A few weeks back I ended up doing a bit of a DIPA tasting and had an Elysian Brewing Space Dust, and I forget what else. This one was hands down the better beer, and it came in less expensive on a per bottle basis.

Really good one.

• Like 1