Mr.Beer Community
KaijuBrew

Keeping 2G Fermenter Cool During Fermentation - Tips?

I am enjoying my 2G Fermenter and want to keep things cool during the 3 week fermentation period.

With the LBKs, I used ice packs in Coleman coolers.  But the 2G Fermenter is too big for that.  

One idea I had was to place the 2G in a cooler with the lid open and ice around it.  But using the wisdom of the group - what's the smart way to keep a 2G fermenter cool during fermentation?  Thanks.

1 hour ago, BDawg62 said:

Interesting ideas!

How did you keep the two Target totes closed?  Certainly a cheaper way to go about it at about $10 total.  

Do you have a basement? Some of my brewing idols have and still do ferment in the basement and brew by the season. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Creeps McLane said:

Do you have a basement? Some of my brewing idols have and still do ferment in the basement and brew by the season. 

+1 on the basement.  That is where it is sitting right now.

14 hours ago, KaijuBrew said:

Interesting ideas!

How did you keep the two Target totes closed?  Certainly a cheaper way to go about it at about $10 total.  

Just balance them on top of each other, it is better than nothing.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Creeps McLane said:

Some of my brewing idols have and still do ferment in the basement and brew by the season. 

Creeps,

It is OK to mention me by name:D:P

I do use temperature control so that I can brew year around.

Dawg

Much depends on where you live.  Those with basements in the northern states find that in the winter they may be too cool, while in summer they may still be too hot.  In the south, much of the year may be too hot.

The thing to keep in mind is that the temperature of the environment does help, but the wort still climbs higher during peak fermentation.  Only by using temperature control does one control the temperature to keep it where they want to.  

Many fermentation containers (LBKs, 2G fermenter, bucket, etc.) seem wonderful until you try to figure out how you're going to control temperature, and if you're using a freezer/fridge/cooler how the fermenter will fit in it.  And don't forget how you're going to carry the fermenter and how much it weighs.  I brew in the kitchen, I ferment in the basement.  Carrying 5 gallons of sloshing liquid down a flight of stairs that weighs 40 pounds, holding it out in front of me, would not do my back any good.  Much easier to carry 20 pounds.