Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
Wolfpack Brewing

Air Lock Overflowed-Is This Brew Ruined?

Hey everyone, Wolfpack Brewing here.

I was feeling a little intrepid and ran up to my local home brewing shop.  I bought a 2 gallon bucket with spigot, airlock, and sealing lid along with a Mr. Beer Canadian Blonde can.  I started this brew on Sunday night.

I made the beer according to the directions, but I added 1 cup of dextrose to the wort in order to later add Lactobacillus to make this a sour blonde (yes, yes, bring on the jokes).  I poured everything into the bucket, and perhaps added a bit too much water.  When I came home today from work and checked on things, I noticed that the airlock had overflowed and liquid was pooled on top of the lid, but the lid was sealed.  I carefully poured off the liquid and dried the top.  I also quickly removed and cleared the airlock, blocking the whole in the lid with a clean sheet.  I did sample the overflowed wort and tasted some alcohol, sugar and yeastiness.  Other than the yeasty flavor, I didn't notice any off flavors.  I have not added the Lactobacillus yet.

Is this batch ruined because it overflowed, or am I still good to go and let it continue to ferment?

Thanks guys!

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Wolfpack Brewing said:

Hey everyone, Wolfpack Brewing here.

I was feeling a little intrepid and ran up to my local home brewing shop.  I bought a 2 gallon bucket with spigot, airlock, and sealing lid along with a Mr. Beer Canadian Blonde can.  I started this brew on Sunday night.

I made the beer according to the directions, but I added 1 cup of dextrose to the wort in order to later add Lactobacillus to make this a sour blonde (yes, yes, bring on the jokes).  I poured everything into the bucket, and perhaps added a bit too much water.  When I came home today from work and checked on things, I noticed that the airlock had overflowed and liquid was pooled on top of the lid, but the lid was sealed.  I carefully poured off the liquid and dried the top.  I also quickly removed and cleared the airlock, blocking the whole in the lid with a clean sheet.  I did sample the overflowed wort and tasted some alcohol, sugar and yeastiness.  Other than the yeasty flavor, I didn't notice any off flavors.  I have not added the Lactobacillus yet.

Is this batch ruined because it overflowed, or am I still good to go and let it continue to ferment?

Thanks guys!

What makes you think it is ruined?

It takes a lot to ruin beer. I would just go with it and see where it ends up. The fact that you want to make this sour seems to me to mean that off flavors might not be that big of a concern. (The sour can certainly mask some o this.)

In regards to overflow, I've had beers overflow and practically explode several times. I just clean it up. Sometimes I needed to take the lid off and wipe it down a bit. So far no real problems.

8 minutes ago, MrWhy said:

What makes you think it is ruined?

It takes a lot to ruin beer. I would just go with it and see where it ends up. The fact that you want to make this sour seems to me to mean that off flavors might not be that big of a concern. (The sour can certainly mask some o this.)

In regards to overflow, I've had beers overflow and practically explode several times. I just clean it up. Sometimes I needed to take the lid off and wipe it down a bit. So far no real problems.

Best news I've heard all day!  Thanks!  I figured the under one minute it took to clean the airlock in scalding hot water wouldn't be enough for anything to infect the beer, and even if it did, it would just be wild yeast that would make it sour anyway.  It looked like some yeast was in the airlock when I cleaned it and in the wort on the lid, but I'm sure it's multiplied enough by now that there's still plenty to keep working in what is in the bucket.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Wolfpack Brewing said:

Best news I've heard all day!  Thanks!  I figured the under one minute it took to clean the airlock in scalding hot water wouldn't be enough for anything to infect the beer, and even if it did, it would just be wild yeast that would make it sour anyway.  It looked like some yeast was in the airlock when I cleaned it and in the wort on the lid, but I'm sure it's multiplied enough by now that there's still plenty to keep working in what is in the bucket.

I wouldn't worry about it at all. You had a very lively fermentation. Things wouldn't have gotten so wild if you didn't have enough yeast to do the job.

Hopefully you sanitized the airlock to begin with, and after cleaning it.

• Like 1