Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
kedogn

Water Sample

I finally got around to sending a water sample to get tested and thought I would share with y'all what the results look like (for those that might not have seen one and were interested).  I am very excited to finally be able to build water profiles for each of the beers I will be brewing based off of the #s below! :)

water.thumb.jpg.986022cdd804d9e53495ca7b5ec4d446.jpg

• Like 3

Wow, your water is very alkaline! I would use some lactic acid or some 5.2 mash stabilizer to adjust it for any of hoppy or dry beer such as IPAs and saisons. If brewing all-grain, acidulated malt works well, too, for getting a proper pH for your mash. Getting the pH to  around 5.2 will give you much happier yeast. :)

27 minutes ago, MRB Josh R said:

Wow, your water is very alkaline! I would use some lactic acid or some 5.2 mash stabilizer to adjust it for any of hoppy or dry beer such as IPAs and saisons. If brewing all-grain, acidulated malt works well, too, for getting a proper pH for your mash. Getting the pH to  around 5.2 will give you much happier yeast. :)

I have yet to brew with this water (we just got moved in 2 months ago and well, yeah, no time lol) and so I am VERY glad that I saw this before trying to do a batch with the water just straight up, that's for sure! :)  It was $27.50 to get this tested (plus $10 to ship the sample priority mail), and I think that's a deal for what I learned about my water :)

• Like 4