Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
NwMaltHead

Stouts/Dark Ales

Thinking of doing a Chocolate Stout, definitely will appreciate any input on this one.

2.3 gallon 

1.562lbs (all I have) Amber DME 

1lb Floor malted Dark Bohemian

1lb Crystal 90

8oz wheat DME 

4oz British Chocolate malt

7g magnum @50

14g Hallertau @30

14g southern dawn @15

Yeast (Open to suggestions) 

OG 1.065

FG 1.016

IBU 39.6

SRM 36.2

ABV 6.4% 

After listening to brewing podcasts its amazing to me how many breweries use their "house yeast" for anything from pale ales to stouts. 99% of the time their proprietary strain is nothing more than 001 / us-05. So I would just stick with that.

as far as the grain bill i cant say too much since this is not a style I brew. However judging by this and past recipes youve posted im guessing you tend to like the residual sweetness of the crystal malts. Have you ever just skipped the crystals and used something actaully fully fermentable if you're trying to achieve a certain SRM?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Creeps McLane said:

After listening to brewing podcasts its amazing to me how many breweries use their "house yeast" for anything from pale ales to stouts. 99% of the time their proprietary strain is nothing more than 001 / us-05. So I would just stick with that.

as far as the grain bill i cant say too much since this is not a style I brew. However judging by this and past recipes youve posted im guessing you tend to like the residual sweetness of the crystal malts. Have you ever just skipped the crystals and used something actaully fully fermentable if you're trying to achieve a certain SRM?

I do prefer a little sweetness in most styles. Especially stouts. 

I've never made a stout either, but figure the sweetness would go well. I like sweeter stouts as opposed to dry. 

I've actually only used Crystal once so far . 

S-04 yeast for a Stout.

Never used Dark Bohemian, but it shows being used in place of Dark Munich, like in a Dunkel, but not in a Stout.  Nor does the Amber belong IMO.  Google some Chocolate Stout recipes to see the ingredients commonly used, including cacao nibs.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, RickBeer said:

S-04 yeast for a Stout.

Never used Dark Bohemian, but it shows being used in place of Dark Munich, like in a Dunkel, but not in a Stout.  Nor does the Amber belong IMO.  Google some Chocolate Stout recipes to see the ingredients commonly used, including cacao nibs.

Yeah, i was planning on adding cocoa nibs for sure. And thanks, I'll read around a little more about the style.

So i looked up a handful of partial mash stout recipes and found that about half use Amber DME. None use bohemian or Munich malts. I'm gonna go with Amber as my base, but will swap the bohemian for something else, maybe Maris otter?

10 hours ago, NwMaltHead said:

So i looked up a handful of partial mash stout recipes and found that about half use Amber DME. None use bohemian or Munich malts. I'm gonna go with Amber as my base, but will swap the bohemian for something else, maybe Maris otter?

Just my $.02 worth. 

DME is made with a variety of grains and you don't know the make up of the recipe used to create the original wort.  The safest bet with Extracts is to use Extra Light DME as it by color alone doesn't allow for much in the way of anything but base malt.  Pilsen DME is made the same way.  Amber and Dark may not give the results you want because you are also going to add some dark grains to get the appropriate color and roast.

• Like 1