Jump to content
Mr.Beer Community

Recommended Posts

Hey guys, 

 

so i lucked into 4 more 5gal. kegs rather cheap (yes, they are used... old pepsi co. kegs... tested and reconditioned) so that gives me 6 total and i was wondering if its possible to brew a batch, keg it and either naturally carb/condition it (with priming solution) or make sure its covered in co2 (force carb it later) and just let it sit at room temp (just condition) till i have room in my fridge for it (or a couple months) this would help boost the pipeline greatly if i could..... also.. save me some space and bottle washing/sanitizing and bottling time..... any information on this is greatly appreciated

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, hotrod3539 said:

Hey guys, 

 

so i lucked into 4 more 5gal. kegs rather cheap (yes, they are used... old pepsi co. kegs... tested and reconditioned) so that gives me 6 total and i was wondering if its possible to brew a batch, keg it and either naturally carb/condition it (with priming solution) or make sure its covered in co2 (force carb it later) and just let it sit at room temp (just condition) till i have room in my fridge for it (or a couple months) this would help boost the pipeline greatly if i could..... also.. save me some space and bottle washing/sanitizing and bottling time..... any information on this is greatly appreciated

Yes you can do all of this. Whether you carb with sugar or CO2 is up to you. I prefer to not mess with sugars anymore. When you decide to carb the keg for serving you can choose what level of carb you want with CO2. 

 

brew a batch, ferment, keg, condition, carb, serve. Just be sure to put a little CO2 into the tank so the gaskets seal. And also id check all those tanks for leaks. One of my last ones was leaking out of the pressure relief valve.

 

also... sorry to preach. But you should also replace the seals. The soda stink sets into those seals and its nearly impossible to get rid of.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks @Creeps McLane!! That is gonna make life so much easier!!

 

Leak checking is planned for tonight or tomorrow.

The kegs got all new gaskets before I bought them but I will order plenty of new sets to have just in case. 

 

It's not preaching..... It's passing on some good knowledge to save someone else (me) some headaches. :)

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, efdbrian said:

If you are putting sugar in to carb it or any kind of fermentation in the keg, consider getting one of the lids where you can put an airlock on it. 

 

http://www.homebrewing.org/Cornelius-Keg-Lid-for-Secondary-Fermenter_p_999.html?utm_source=google&utm_medium=shopping&gclid=COCxx_bcodQCFYSPswodhSMO5Q

But arent you trying to trap the CO2 in for carbing? Am i not seeing the whole picture here?

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Creeps McLane said:

But arent you trying to trap the CO2 in for carbing? Am i not seeing the whole picture here?

 

You are correct. I responded prior to coffee this morning. Only use the airlock if fermenting in the keg. 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm just getting ready to start kegging myself.  I have a second temp controller mocked up, ready to wire, a freezer to modify for my keezer, a CO2 tank to get filled, and my taps and lines.  I'm just waiting on my double body regulator.  How long to I need to have the keg under carb pressure before it's ready?  I know it needs to be cold (serving temp or lower) to carb, just not sure on the time.  Conditioning will take the normal 4 weeks unless it is meant to be drank young, so the carb time will add to the time before consumption.  I have this chart bookmarked - http://www.kegerators.com/carbonation-table.php for determining vols of CO2, just not sure on the time.

 

I have seen a few different things out there but you guys are family so I thought I'd ask here first. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm not positive but I always thought that those charts were based off of 10 days because I remember looking at that back when I started kegging too 

 

ive been kegging for awhile now and what i do is either two things: 

 

fill keg, store warm to condition. When youre ready to drink it throw it in the keezer at 30 psi overnight and then sample. Most times it needs two days at 30 psi and then its just right.

 

otherwise i just throw the keg in the keezer, keep it at serving psi forever, or when its close but not perfect i set it at 30 before bed and purge in the morning. 

 

I have never ever over carbed a beer. Its actually kinda hard to. Keeping it at serving psi doesnt seem to affect its carb once its carbed if that makes sense. Its almost like the beer has a carb threshold and wont take any more in. That or I just drink them fast... ? 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks, @Creeps McLane.  You echo what another forum poster said except he doesn't like burst carbing.  He likes the minimum 3 weeks for conditioning so he puts his regulator at 12ish psi for 2-3 weeks after the conditioning phase.  That yields a 5-6 week time to drink but if you plan for it, it may not be a bad thing.  I'm sure I'll play around with burst carbing at least once.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@C-ya I did one where i cold crashed at end of fermentation, transferred to keg, then did the 30psi "rocking action" ( basically you lay Keg on its side, gas port down so it bubbles through the beer and rock it back and forth with foot/hands/whatever for about 3 min with a pick up and shake for 10 seconds every min. then set keg upright in fridge with 30psi on it (gas still hooked up) for a couple hours, then shut off gas, shake keg, let sit 5-10 min (allows beer to settle down from being shaken... otherwise when you pull pressure relief you get the dreaded beer spray), bleed off pressure, lower gas to serving pressure (for my setup is about 10psi) return gas service to keg) and poured a commendably carbonated beer. This is just one of the oh so many ways to force carb your beer. i have also done another the long way where its set at desired pressure/volumes CO2 with the shake/roll every so often for about a week and it turned out well also so... it all depends on how fast or not fast you wish to put the keg into service and drink the sweet sweet nectar inside..... i would say try out several of the methods and find the one (or two) that work best for your situation.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

on a side note, i just Kegged a Saison this week and it is just sitting at room temp with the CO2 in the head space (i did have the CO2 flowing into the keg 10 seconds before i started the flow of beer into the keg and during filling of the keg right up through closing the keg and even did a final purge of 3 pulls on the pressure relief just to be sure all the oxygen was out of the keg) and gonna condition for a month or so before i full on carb and drink it.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, hotrod3539 said:

on a side note, i just Kegged a Saison this week and it is just sitting at room temp with the CO2 in the head space (i did have the CO2 flowing into the keg 10 seconds before i started the flow of beer into the keg and during filling of the keg right up through closing the keg and even did a final purge of 3 pulls on the pressure relief just to be sure all the oxygen was out of the keg) and gonna condition for a month or so before i full on carb and drink it.

So you have a cleaned, sanitized, closed keg, and you rack through the ball lock disconnect? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
51 minutes ago, Creeps McLane said:

So you have a cleaned, sanitized, closed keg, and you rack through the ball lock disconnect? 

Not that fancy yet...... or talented.... i do it this way....clean, sanitized keg, rack using auto syphon (or just a sanitized tube if using a ported fermenter) through lid opening using gas port to flow in co2 while filling and any oxygen (and subsequently some co2) gets pushed up and out lid opening as the beer flows into keg, continue co2 flow while putting lid in place and locked down then do 3-5 purges with pressure relief just to make sure any oxygen that may have gone in with lid gets pushed out. I has regulator set at 5-10psi so not a ton of gas goes to waste.... 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
29 minutes ago, hotrod3539 said:

Not that fancy yet...... or talented.... i do it this way....clean, sanitized keg, rack using auto syphon (or just a sanitized tube if using a ported fermenter) through lid opening using gas port to flow in co2 while filling and any oxygen (and subsequently some co2) gets pushed up and out lid opening as the beer flows into keg, continue co2 flow while putting lid in place and locked down then do 3-5 purges with pressure relief just to make sure any oxygen that may have gone in with lid gets pushed out. I has regulator set at 5-10psi so not a ton of gas goes to waste.... 

I see. I think im following you. I have ADD so i tend to wonder off halfway through paragraphs. Youre doing everything i do, just in a different order and through different ports. But the principle sounds the same.

 

heres what i do, could be wrong but ive done it for two beers now and its been fine.

 

clean keg, fill with sanitizer. Close keg, pressurize, and shake like hell. Hook up CO2 and pump sanitizer back into my jug through out disconnect. Following me so far?

 

Purge tank, leave pressure relief valve open. Then i hook tubing from fermenter to the out disconnect with my fancy tubeIMG_3927.thumb.JPG.a34fee9ac5fa73f85376ef4315d3024c.JPG

 

Open fermenter or pull out bung, open fermenter spigot and rack deliciousness. Close pressure relief, Hook back up CO2 and purge any oxygen that may be there yet, though very unlikely. A closed racking. No chance for oxygen

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, Creeps McLane said:

I see. I think im following you. I have ADD so i tend to wonder off halfway through paragraphs. Youre doing everything i do, just in a different order and through different ports. But the principle sounds the same.

 

heres what i do, could be wrong but ive done it for two beers now and its been fine.

 

clean keg, fill with sanitizer. Close keg, pressurize, and shake like hell. Hook up CO2 and pump sanitizer back into my jug through out disconnect. Following me so far?

 

Purge tank, leave pressure relief valve open. Then i hook tubing from fermenter to the out disconnect with my fancy tubeIMG_3927.thumb.JPG.a34fee9ac5fa73f85376ef4315d3024c.JPG

 

Open fermenter or pull out bung, open fermenter spigot and rack deliciousness. Close pressure relief, Hook back up CO2 and purge any oxygen that may be there yet, though very unlikely. A closed racking. No chance for oxygen

Round about close enough to the same... Lol! I need to make up/buy a fitting like yours to go from fermenter to ball connector on keg..

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...