Jump to content
Mr.Beer Community
AnthonyC

Fresh Hops vs. Hop Pellets

Recommended Posts

I forgot to mention that I made a discovery during my hiatus.  I definitely prefer the flavor of fresh hops compared to hop pellets.  What I found is that the floral flavors and aroma of the fresh Hops REALLY stand out.  When I was using hop pellets, to me, I couldn't distinguish between hop varieties while in the midst of a boil.   I was lucky enough to get my hands on some Citra and Chinook and holy crap what a difference!  Chinook...  house smelled like a pine forest & Citra...  like a grapefruit grove (but less flower more fruit).  I wish there was a place that offered Galaxy Hops b/c that is quickly becoming one of my favorites.  My only fear with fresh Hops was infection.  The Citra had a few critters in it, so I gave them a thorough washing prior to use.  To be fair I did not measure out exactly how much I used, but simply (as I always do w/Hops) threw in A LOT of them.  I have no clue what the ratio is fresh to dried ( best left for @RickBeer to ascertain).  I say give it a shot and see what you all think for yourselves.  ?

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Fresh (wet) hops are generally used at about a 4-6 to 1 ratio to dry. So if you typically use one ounce of dry pellet hops you would want between 4 and 6 ounces of wet hops. If you are using whole cone dried hops then it should be close to a 1:1 ratio of pellets to flowers. Some people like to add a little extra on the dried whole leaf. I have some dried Cascade and Centennial left over from what I grew last year. If you're interested, shoot me a PM.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Keep in mind that fresh (wet) hops degrade in mere hours, and become unusable in a very short period.  They need to be dried.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, AnthonyC said:

I forgot to mention that I made a discovery during my hiatus.  I definitely prefer the flavor of fresh hops compared to hop pellets.  What I found is that the floral flavors and aroma of the fresh Hops REALLY stand out.  When I was using hop pellets, to me, I couldn't distinguish between hop varieties while in the midst of a boil.   I was lucky enough to get my hands on some Citra and Chinook and holy crap what a difference!  Chinook...  house smelled like a pine forest & Citra...  like a grapefruit grove (but less flower more fruit).  I wish there was a place that offered Galaxy Hops b/c that is quickly becoming one of my favorites.  My only fear with fresh Hops was infection.  The Citra had a few critters in it, so I gave them a thorough washing prior to use.  To be fair I did not measure out exactly how much I used, but simply (as I always do w/Hops) threw in A LOT of them.  I have no clue what the ratio is fresh to dried ( best left for @RickBeer to ascertain).  I say give it a shot and see what you all think for yourselves.  ?

How are your hop plants doing btw?

 

i have a little whole leaf cascade left. My next pale ale will have 1/2 the bittering with the whole leafs in the mash and then pellets as a first wort hop. Ive also heard using both in the boil is great too. Something about giving the pellets more to collide and break down with. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
45 minutes ago, Creeps McLane said:

How are your hop plants doing btw?

 

i have a little whole leaf cascade left. My next pale ale will have 1/2 the bittering with the whole leafs in the mash and then pellets as a first wort hop. Ive also heard using both in the boil is great too. Something about giving the pellets more to collide and break down with. 

They grew horizontally.  Weirdest thing!  Never climbed the string & then woodchucks had their way with them.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, AnthonyC said:

They grew horizontally.  Weirdest thing!  Never climbed the string & then woodchucks had their way with them.  

Did you plant them in the forest?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Big Sarge said:

Did you plant them in the forest?

Nah.  Outside near the tree line.  They're only nubs now.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, AnthonyC said:

They grew horizontally.  Weirdest thing!  Never climbed the string & then woodchucks had their way with them.  

Planted towards the end of may. Columbus on the left, centennial on the right. Just letting them do their thing this year. Next year will be the first true harvest season. Not saying i wont use anything i get this year 

 

 

IMG_3870.JPG

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Creeps McLane said:

Planted towards the end of may. Columbus on the left, centennial on the right. Just letting them do their thing this year. Next year will be the first true harvest season. Not saying i wont use anything i get this year 

 

 

IMG_3870.JPG

Nice Creepster!  Good luck!? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Not fresh hops, but I got some whole leaf Citra that I was going to dry hop with.

Do I use the same amount as pellet? Same time? Do they need sterilizing (it is YCH)?

Any do/don't suggestions?

I was going to bag them very loosely to keep them out of the spigot.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On ‎6‎/‎29‎/‎2017 at 3:52 PM, AnthonyC said:

They grew horizontally.  Weirdest thing!  Never climbed the string & then woodchucks had their way with them.  

Maybe if you set the woodchucks out their own beer, they would leave them alone?

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, Nickfixit said:

Not fresh hops, but I got some whole leaf Citra that I was going to dry hop with.

Do I use the same amount as pellet? Same time? Do they need sterilizing (it is YCH)?

Any do/don't suggestions?

I was going to bag them very loosely to keep them out of the spigot.

 

The amount is the same once they are dried. One thing you will notice is that whole leaf hops will tend to float on top. One recommendation is to use a couple glass marbles. Sanitize them and the muslin bag. Add the hops and marbles to the muslin bag and drop it in. No need to sanitize the hops themselves. As far as time goes it should be pretty much the same if you are able to keep the hops submerged. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, efdbrian said:

 

The amount is the same once they are dried. One thing you will notice is that whole leaf hops will tend to float on top. One recommendation is to use a couple glass marbles. Sanitize them and the muslin bag. Add the hops and marbles to the muslin bag and drop it in. No need to sanitize the hops themselves. As far as time goes it should be pretty much the same if you are able to keep the hops submerged. 

Thanks for the tip.

 

Would using them for a hop tea be easier - or a different result? Pour boiling water over and let them sit a bit? Then add liquor

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Nickfixit said:

Maybe if you set the woodchucks out their own beer, they would leave them alone?

 

I served them a nice cold .22 long instead.   ?

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, AnthonyC said:

I served them a nice cold .22 long instead.   ?

Tasty. How was the barbecue?

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...